Buddy Catlett, jazz bassist, age 81 — R.I.P.

bluenoter
Concierge

Buddy Catlett, jazz bassist, age 81 — R.I.P.

Postby bluenoter » November 14th, 2014, 4:21 pm

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/soundposts/2014/11/13/buddy-catlett-renowned-seattle-jazz-bassist-dies/

George James “Buddy” Catlett, one of the most illustrious musicians to come up through Seattle’s
Jackson Street jazz scene in the 1940s, died Wednesday, Nov. 12. Mr. Catlett was 81.

He had been living at the Leon Sullivan Health Care Center in Seattle’s Central District and had not
performed since 2011, due to heart problems and other illnesses.

In a message sent via his publicist, lifelong friend Quincy Jones described Catlett as “one of the
greatest bass players to ever take the stage.”

Mr. Catlett’s swinging, full-bodied, “in the pocket” thrum anchored bands led by Jones, Count Basie
and Louis Armstrong.

Born in Long Beach, Calif. and raised in Seattle, Mr. Catlett came from a family of black pioneers —
his grandfather, George Catlett, settled in Yakima in 1903 — and while attending Garfield High School,
played saxophone with Jones in the Bumps Blackwell Junior Band. Sidelined by pleurisy in 1950 for
two years, Catlett switched to the bass on his doctor’s advice.

Nicknamed “Bumblebee,” the diminutive, rotund musician was known not only for his superb
musicianship, but for his gentle spirit.

“He would never trash talk anybody,” said his companion of the last 12 years, Jessica Davis. “He was
really humble.”

He also had a sly sense of humor.

Pianist Marc Seales, mentored by Mr. Catlett, said he taught him that being a jazz musician was
“about working, not just the art part. One time we were talking about Wilbur Ware and Quincy Jones
and Red Holloway — guys from Chicago, man — and he said, ‘Those guys could go anywhere with
nothing and get a job, get your house — and then get your old lady.’”

After “paying dues” in local groups, Mr. Catlett went on the road with bandleader Horace Henderson
in 1956 and subsequently worked with guitarist Johnny Smith and Latin jazz vibraphonist Cal Tjader.

In 1959, he went to Paris with Jones’ short-lived but now-legendary big band in a musical called
“Free and Easy,” starring Sammy Davis Jr. The show folded, but the band — which also featured
Seattleites Floyd Standifer (trumpet) and Patti Bown (piano) — stayed in Europe eight months.

Mr. Catlett then joined Basie, with whom he recorded a classic album with Frank Sinatra, “With Rose
Colored Glasses,” and subsequently worked with pianists Red Garland and Junior Mance, drummer
Chico Hamilton and saxophonists Coleman Hawkins, Johnny Griffin and Eddie “Lockjaw” Davis.

In 1965, Mr. Catlett was hired by Armstrong, with whom he played, recorded and toured until 1969.

Throughout his early life and middle age, Mr. Catlett struggled with alcohol addiction. In the '70s, he
came home to recover, eventually getting sober by the early '80s.

Over time, he became an important elder on the Seattle scene. Wherever he played, national touring
artists would come to listen.

“One night I was playing with Buddy at Tula’s,” recalled Seales. “Wynton Marsalis came in and said,
‘I came down to play with Buddy.’”

Catlett was celebrated on his home turf. Local nonprofit Earshot Jazz inducted him into the Seattle
Jazz Hall of Fame in 1991 and the city proclaimed February 21, 2008, Buddy Catlett Day.

Mr. Catlett was preceded in death by ex-wife Rebecca Turner and second wife Rita Pettaway.
Survivors include his brother, Ernie Catlett, of Federal Way; his sister, Linda Wint, of Federal Way;
daughter, Natalie, of Tukwila; and sons Dale, of Kent, and Gregory, of Denver.

Services have not been announced. A musical celebration will take place at Jazz Alley at a date
to be determined.

Return to “R.I.P. (Jazz)”