José Domingos Raffaelli, R.I.P.

Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

José Domingos Raffaelli, R.I.P.

Postby Ron Thorne » October 16th, 2014, 8:02 pm

Our fellow poster, Pete Cherches, made me aware of the passing of a dear poster from our days at JazzCorner, José Domingos Raffaelli. As I said on Facebook, "He was an elegant, passionate man, and we were richer for having known him."

His obituary can be found here: http://oglobo.globo.com/cultura/morre-a ... z3GFhRwnXO but it's in Portuguese. There is a Google translation below:

Dies at age 77, the critic José Domingos Raffaelli

Deep knowledge of jazz, he served in GLOBE and several other publications

Chico Amaral, José Domingos Raffaelli

April 27, 2014

RIO - died on Saturday at age 77, the music critic José Domingos Raffaelli, considered one of the most important names in Brazil in the analysis and dissemination of jazz. According to his son Flavio, music critic struggled against a tumor on my spine. He was buried on Sunday at 16h, in St. John the Baptist Cemetery, in Rio de Janeiro neighborhood of Botafogo.

Instrumental music enthusiast, Raffaelli learned to value and point out new trends. According to the Brazilian Press Association, it was the first article on the bossa nova published in newspaper ("Last minute") in 1959.

As a journalist specializing in jazz, appeared in GLOBE, from 1987 to 2002 also wrote for the "Jornal do Brazil" (1972-87) and "Time", from Belo Horizonte, between 2002 and 2003, as well as collaborating with several national publications and foreign magazines. Closely followed the Brazilian instrumental scene as drummer Pascoal Meirelles remembered on his Facebook page:

"Our Raffaelli was one of the most important people to embrace the work of the performer, encouraging, positive weaving every critical work released, appearing in all concerts on his meager time allowed."

Raffaelli also had a long career in radio, producing programs and debates. His dedication to jazz earned him awards as granted by the International Association of Jazz Educators (IAJE) in 1999 as the best critic of country music outside the United States, and another at San Martin Cultural Center, Buenos Aires, in 1989.

In 1976, he won a competition of international scope of the American magazine "Down Beat", a leading publication dedicated to jazz.

Source:Globo.com
bluenoter
Concierge

Re: José Domingos Raffaelli, R.I.P.

Postby bluenoter » October 17th, 2014, 11:31 am

I recall his name but not any of his JazzCorner posts; he may have been at least slightly before my time.

That he was both a maven and a mensch is made clear in this remarkable website that contains writing by and about him:

http://bjbear71.com/Raffaelli/jose.html

The owner of that website bucks various obits in the Portuguese-language press by stating that J.D.R. was born in 1928—so he was 85, not 77, when he died, on April 26, 2014. And in e-mails that J.D.R. evidently wrote in 2000, he makes statements about his age to that effect.

R.I.P., José Domingos Raffaelli
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Re: José Domingos Raffaelli, R.I.P.

Postby Ron Thorne » October 19th, 2014, 9:30 pm

I won't enter the debate about José's age. That's for others to do if they choose. I'm pretty certain that José doesn't care much about the debate.

José posted on JazzCorner infrequently, almost solely on the Brazilian Music-related threads, but was active there until the last year of the forum.
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne

Return to “R.I.P. (Jazz)”