R.I.P.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

R.I.P.

Postby Ron Thorne » August 7th, 2014, 7:18 pm

ValerieB
Founding Member

Re: R.I.P.

Postby ValerieB » August 9th, 2014, 8:22 pm

I would vote not to do that. I think they deserve to stay individualized, unless it will cause some kind of technical difficulty.

sorry, Ron, I think I misunderstood. you're probably talking about making a new topic for the threads.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » August 9th, 2014, 8:34 pm

"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » August 9th, 2014, 8:36 pm

stonemonkts
Founding Member

Postby stonemonkts » August 10th, 2014, 5:53 am

A few weeks ago I pondered a post that basically pointed out how the front page of the forum contained so many RIP threads, and why I thought so. Obviously jazz has been around a long time so deaths will continue on an unfortunately frequent basis. I believe the multitude of RIP threads speaks more to the moribund state of jazz discussion itself, and perhaps to the state of the music in the 21st century. Or it speaks more to message boards today. Who knows.

I agree to consolidate them but if you click "view active topics" as I do, they will still appear up and down the page. I'm just blabbering here. I guess what I am trying to say is, when a message board's titles have too many which state "rest in peace" (if you speak the words out in your mind), something is not quite right.
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » August 10th, 2014, 6:55 am

Cem

Postby Cem » August 21st, 2014, 3:55 pm

Farewell to Jean-Jacques Avenel, Abdul Wadud & Marian McPartland… at least 3 greats departed in just the past week or so. Sadly, musicians from the golden years of 50s to 70s are leaving us --nothing we can do. Maybe one thread for all makes more sense?
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » August 25th, 2014, 9:34 am

Cem

Postby Cem » August 25th, 2014, 1:13 pm

Thank you, Rita, I see now.
Just a member here, but I still feel that it's too much focus on deaths. We don't need to be disrespectful, just pragmatic. Too many death threads, imo. What it must look like to the average person visiting… that this site and the music is all about reminiscing and about the dead. Most of those dead would want us to focus on the present and the future. I've never met a jazz musician I liked, who went on about the glory days, etc. Just my usual, unsolicited, prickly pear opinion.
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » August 25th, 2014, 3:58 pm

Cem

Postby Cem » August 25th, 2014, 4:46 pm

Hey, Rita, what I meant was just one mass grave for all… of us. No need for separation. Just reply to the original post about a particular deceased person, instead of starting a new thread. There could be a "Jazz", "Other Music" and "Alley" R.I.P., I guess. What do you think? I hear your point about more threads about other things, but it might make sense to simplify R.I.P. first. It's as if we are showing our priorities as a group by dedicating so much space, time and energy to passings on… reading obituaries in the paper first, as it were.
jtx
Commodore

Postby jtx » August 25th, 2014, 9:43 pm

I think that the fact that there are many R.I.P. topics and a good deal of activity on them indicates that they are meaningful to those who are taking the time to post and reply. I also agree that it might be overwhelming for Jazz News or The Alley or other forums to be filled with them, since it can make it hard to locate other topics of interest, particularly when there are a number of notable deaths in close succession.

My thought is that a separate forum for all of these topics probably makes the most sense, either called "R.I.P." or something non-abbreviated (e.g. "In Memoriam", "Farewells", "Notable Passings", etc.), which serves as the central location for all of them, whether the person being commemorated is a jazz musician, critic, commentator, author, actor, celebrity, politician, artist, or whomever people are moved to write about at their passing. This way, people who aren't interested in the forum can skip it, while the latest "R.I.P." topic will always be visible on the front page of the site for those who are interested.

No mystery about where they are, and no collision with other topics. :whew:
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » August 30th, 2014, 6:26 am

bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » August 30th, 2014, 7:01 am

bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » August 31st, 2014, 5:16 pm

mjb
Founding Member

Postby mjb » September 20th, 2014, 2:43 pm

If an item is posted in this section do we really need "R.I.P." after the name?

I did not add it after "Kenny Wheeler" but I do see it there now.

Is it not redundant?
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » September 20th, 2014, 3:09 pm

hornplayer
Founding Member

Postby hornplayer » January 5th, 2016, 8:04 am

Looks like the Jazz Police decided Natalie Cole doesn't belong here. Sad. :(
Life's short, drink well.
Hornplayer
www.feastivals.com/blog
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » January 5th, 2016, 9:22 am

Return to “R.I.P. (Jazz)”