Oscar Castro-Neves - RIP

Chazro
Founding Member

Oscar Castro-Neves - RIP

Postby Chazro » September 28th, 2013, 9:15 pm

Eliane Elias has just posted that Brazilian Jazz guitarist Oscar Castro-Neves has passed away. I've been a fan for many years from when he was in Sergio Mendes Brazil '66. His career was deep and reached far beyond his stint with that band. A very melodic and graceful musician, I'll miss him. Listening to one of my favorite records by him; 'All One', beautiful stuff.
ValerieB
Founding Member

Re: Oscar Castro-Neves - RIP

Postby ValerieB » September 28th, 2013, 9:38 pm

i'm sick about this. I knew he was terminally ill but just found out the other day. he was the sweetest, kindest man, aside from his very special talent.

my deep condolences to his family and friends. a lot of people loved him, that's for sure.
Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Postby Mike Schwartz » September 29th, 2013, 2:30 pm

RIP indeed....a wonderful musician

Jazzooo
Founding Member

Postby Jazzooo » September 29th, 2013, 3:52 pm

I'm very sad about this. I was lucky enough to meet Oscar when he and his friend Don Grusin came to San Miguel de Allende to play at our jazz festival. Not only where he and his wife Lorraine beautiful and hang out with, he presented a gorgeous show along with Don. At the end they invited me on stage and the three of us tore through an improvisation based on one of the themes from Black Orpheus.

For the finale of the festival, I had arranged and rehearsed a 60 minute presentation of Beatles music featuring at least 25 musicians and singers. When Oscar heard about it, he told me that he had an arrangement of blackbird that he had never performed and asked if I would like him to do it that night. Of course I said yes, and it was a highlight of the evening.
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » September 30th, 2013, 9:45 am

Hi music brought a lot of joy.
Bright moments
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » September 30th, 2013, 10:19 am

What a wonderful talent and lovely man.

"The crystalline beauty of his arrangements is matched by the rare delicacy with which they are interpreted. Castro-Neves is incapable of creating a dull moment, but that is an understatement: He is only capable of generating rhythmic, harmonic and melodic joy." - Leonard Feather

R.I.P., Oscar Castro-Neves~
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne

Return to “R.I.P. (Jazz)”