Gary Peacock — R.I.P.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
jtx
Commodore
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Gary Peacock — R.I.P.

Postby jtx » September 7th, 2020, 11:32 pm

Gary Peacock
May 12, 1935 - September 4, 2020

Another favorite of mine and Ron Thorne's has passed away. Jazztimes did a write-up earlier this year focused on his early years influencing the avant-garde boundaries of jazz.

https://jazztimes.com/features/columns/ ... ant-garde/

In the recommended listening list at the end is an album that has sat in my top 2-3 recordings for 20+ years, which I always use for testing out new audio equipment, because it is an amazing album fabulously played and recorded, and I know how everything should sound having listened to it countless times.

Thinking of my dad and how he'd want to commemorate, I can't think of a better YouTube clip to share than this one, as it features Gary Peacock and Ralph Towner playing Jim Pepper.

rlfun

Re: Gary Peacock — R.I.P.

Postby rlfun » September 10th, 2020, 9:10 am

Thanks for that, Justin. You’re so right - that’s Ron Thorne all the way. He sent me and turned me on to so much amazing Jim Pepper. And I know he was a mutual Towner/Oregon fan. Forever grateful. I need to listen to Guamba!
jtx
Commodore

Postby jtx » September 26th, 2020, 5:25 pm

rlfun

Postby rlfun » October 18th, 2020, 2:15 pm

Sorry! Late finding this. I'm ordering Guamba! :) Cool about the Oregon artwork.
rlfun

Postby rlfun » October 29th, 2020, 3:40 pm

Guamba is ordered. Meanwhile, been listening on Spotify. Excellent. :)
jtx
Commodore

Postby jtx » December 31st, 2020, 3:43 pm

Have you given Guamba a couple listens since receiving the CD?
rlfun

Postby rlfun » February 1st, 2021, 12:26 pm

Damn. I never see these replies until days or weeks later. Wth?. You know, I'd been listening on Spotify so much, I canceled the CD. I know, that's not a good way to go. At the radio station when Spotify came on the streaming scene in 2010 or 2011, jazz musicians were encouraging everyone to boycott Spotify because they were paying the least amount of royalties. There were very few streamers back then. Word started spreading and Spotify decided to step up and start paying its fair share. A joke, of course, because there is no "fair share" - it's all a rip-off. Musicians lose. Peacock, Garbarek, Erskine...long-time faves. I wasn't familiar with Mikkelborg but he's great.

Any more thoughts about JT?
jtx
Commodore

Postby jtx » February 13th, 2021, 7:47 pm

Return to “R.I.P. (Jazz)”