Board Upgrade in Progress

Major items of interest to all
jtx
Commodore

Board Upgrade in Progress

Postby jtx » June 29th, 2015, 9:00 am

Hello, everyone. You may have noticed that the site looks a little different now. As recently announced, we are in the process of upgrading the software that runs the boards. In additional to offering greater stability and security and more efficient database functionality, it also opens Jazztalk.net up to use on tablets and smartphones. Try it out!

You'll also notice a couple of things missing at the moment, such as the collection of handsome Google fonts. These will be brought back as soon as possible over the next few days. If there is anything else critical that you see missing, or if you have any general thoughts on the design or usability, please post them here!

- Justin (jtx)

P.S. No smilies were harmed in the updating of this board.
:D 8-) :bomb: :devil: :party: :poo:
BFrank
Founding Member

Re: Board Upgrade in Progress

Postby BFrank » June 29th, 2015, 10:46 am

Good luck with this!
Organissimo just went through an upgrade which sounded like it was more work than expected.
jtx
Commodore

Postby jtx » June 29th, 2015, 11:58 am

The advance work on this move was pretty extensive, but fortunately the steps were well-documented. Since the database was kept intact, the main complexity is in restoring any custom elements that were not stored within the original site configuration files, as all of the site code was removed and replaced. So far, so good, but it won't be completely surprising if something subtle but unpleasant occurs in the interim.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » June 29th, 2015, 12:15 pm

Justin, I'm checking the appearance and functionality of the new software on our tablet, and my initial reaction is that it's definitely more legible, overall.

Noted GB spelling.

More comments soon.
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
jtx
Commodore

Postby jtx » June 29th, 2015, 12:48 pm

Although the US English language pack was installed for the site software, anything specific to the site theme template may be shown in UK English. We'll need to correct those as they are discovered.

Attaching a screenshot of the site as it appears on my Android phone.
Screenshot_2015-06-29-13-31-40.png
Screenshot_2015-06-29-13-31-40.png (355.8 KiB) Viewed 15382 times
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » June 29th, 2015, 7:56 pm

If you're missing your avatar after the launch of our new software, we'd like to know. We noted the absence of avatars where we thought that were some prior to our upgrade, so please let us know if yours is missing. We'll do our best to reinstall it for you as quickly as possible.

Thanks!
walto
Founding Member

Postby walto » June 30th, 2015, 3:08 am

ETA1: something weird across the top left corner, but it's there.
ETA2: Hey, no more courier font!? :x
Surely not all of a sudden. Less than half of a sudden at best.
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » June 30th, 2015, 7:38 am

walto wrote:Avatar check.

ETA1: something weird across the top left corner, but it's there.

I can elaborate on that; the same artifact is on my avatar and the area nearby, but it's easier to see. (Justin and Ron, since the upgrade began, it's been on both of your avatars too at times, but it isn't currently.) Only certain avatars to the left of users' posts are affected; in those users' Profiles, the same avatars have a normal appearance.

It's a ghosted-out diagonal ribbon or sash that bears the word "Online" in very faint white letters. In the screenshot below, it appears between the green lines:

In addition, at a certain point in my vertical scrolling through the posts in a thread (that point being almost impossible to relocate on purpose), two extraneous black marks have appeared in my avatar area. In the screenshot below, they're circled in red:

The diagonal ribbon inscribed with "Online" isn't marked in that screenshot, but it's still there. In fact, it may be obscuring a short black bar of which the two extraneous black marks are two of the corners.

I happened to be scrolling through "Name Three People" in the Alley.

Me: Desktop PC, Windows 7, Firefox 38.0.5. Slowest Verizon DSL. About a 20-inch monitor, screen resolution 1600 x 900 ("recommended"). I have cleared my cache, logged out of JT and logged in again, deleted my avatar and uploaded it again, etc., several times.

(Justin, I'm planning to save the rest of my feedback until after you've finished upgrading.)

walto wrote:ETA2: Hey, no more courier font!? :x
Sure there is, walto! See? :) In post #1 of this thread, Justin (jtx) explained:

jtx wrote:You'll also notice a couple of things missing at the moment, such as the collection of handsome Google fonts. These will be brought back as soon as possible over the next few days.

Meanwhile, you could type in the opening and closing codes for the Courier New font manually:

jtx
Commodore

Postby jtx » June 30th, 2015, 10:16 am

Yes, to be clear, all of the original fonts that were supported on the previous version of the software are now supported again. They just aren't presented as a dropdown option in the posting page yet, but you certainly can use BBCode to add them in right now.

Example:

Code: Select all

[font=Lobster][size=150]Wonderfully Lobster-y[/size][/font]

Will display as:
Wonderfully Lobster-y

On the "Online" overlay, I am thinking the best solution might be to eliminate it or change it. Not sure if it offers that much, and I find it a little bit visually distracting as it looks currently.
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » June 30th, 2015, 11:47 am

bluenoter wrote:Only certain avatars to the left of users' posts are affected; in those users' Profiles, the same avatars have a normal appearance.

Correction re the diagonal ribbon, faintly inscribed with "Online," that appears on and near some people's avatars:

The avatars have a normal appearance on the Edit Avatars page of a Profile, but the diagonal ribbon appears in the avatars on the "main page" of a Profile.
jtx
Commodore

Postby jtx » June 30th, 2015, 11:58 am

Ron Thorne wrote:Justin, I'm checking the appearance and functionality of the new software on our tablet, and my initial reaction is that it's definitely more legible, overall.

Noted GB spelling.

More comments soon.

So, the extra wrinkle in the language situation is that on the previous version of the software, only UK English was available, so every user account is set to use UK English by default. You have to go into your profile and manually change your language preference to US English, which I've just done for my account and your account. So, you should be set for US English now.
:party:
jtx
Commodore

Postby jtx » June 30th, 2015, 11:59 am

bluenoter wrote:
bluenoter wrote:Only certain avatars to the left of users' posts are affected; in those users' Profiles, the same avatars have a normal appearance.

Correction re the diagonal ribbon, faintly inscribed with "Online," that appears on and near some people's avatars:

The avatars have a normal appearance on the Edit Avatars page of a Profile, but the diagonal ribbon appears in the avatars on the "main page" of a Profile.

The diagonal ribbon should be removed across the board now. If you reload the page you are on, you should see the overlay disappear from your avatar.
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » June 30th, 2015, 12:54 pm

jtx wrote:The diagonal ribbon should be removed across the board now. If you reload the page you are on, you should see the overlay disappear from your avatar.

Thank you!

What a difference in User Experience---all walto and I, to name two, could see was some kind of ghost image that was messing up the top left corner of our avatars. I spied the faint white word "Online" only because I was scrutinizing that area of the display.

The first of my two screenshots again:

jtx
Commodore

Postby jtx » June 30th, 2015, 1:11 pm

bluenoter wrote:
jtx wrote:The diagonal ribbon should be removed across the board now. If you reload the page you are on, you should see the overlay disappear from your avatar.

Thank you!

What a difference in User Experience---all walto and I, to name two, could see was some kind of ghost image that was messing up the top left corner of our avatars. I spied the faint white word "Online" only because I was scrutinizing that area of the display.

Certainly not the best presentation style, and it makes it harder to see the avatars clearly, so removal seems best.
jtx
Commodore

Postby jtx » July 1st, 2015, 10:02 pm

The font selector is back on the posting window. Video embedding has also been upgraded, with greater support for numerous sites across the Internet.
8-)
walto
Founding Member

Postby walto » July 2nd, 2015, 3:01 pm

Thanks, Justin. You da MAN! 8-)
walto
Founding Member

Postby walto » July 2nd, 2015, 3:29 pm

And thanks to you too, BN. You da WOMAN!! 8-)
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » July 3rd, 2015, 1:25 pm

Man, I just took the new search engine for a spin, and it really works well and f-a-a-a-a-st. 8-) What an improvement over the earlier model! Give it a try.
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » July 4th, 2015, 6:55 am

bluenoter wrote: What a difference in
  User Experience . . .
          A vow to Justin: