Crimea

Post your political nonsense here.
walto
Founding Member

Crimea

Postby walto » March 19th, 2014, 4:44 pm

Curious what people have to say about this. Is it like Obama saying "You know, 2/3 of the people living in Vancouver are actually American and would prefer to be part of the U.S. (you can ask them!) so I'm going to annex Vancouver"? And then the Mounties try to come in from Quebec or someplace where everybody speaks French and the Vancouverites (sp?) stop them because they really do want to have more Subways per square foot there? And also they like FOX and want to win lots of Olympic medals next time?

Or would it also have to be the case that Vancouver was once part of the State of Washington? Like maybe Lyndon Johnson gave it to Trudeau by mistake while he (Johnson, not Trudeau) was sitting on the toilet or something like that?

I'm just trying to get a sense of this whole business.
:thinking:
Surely not all of a sudden. Less than half of a sudden at best.
walto
Founding Member

Re: Crimea

Postby walto » March 20th, 2014, 2:28 am

I heard one British pundit on the radio say something like this: "You don't understand, the Russian elite has never been to Uzbekistan or Kazakhstan--they don't care about those places one way or the other. But the Crimea is quite different. That's where they vacationed regularly; that's where they first got laid; that's where they first tried cannabis. They have very engaging memories about the swimming there. It just feels like it must belong to them."
Monte Smith
Founding Member

Postby Monte Smith » March 20th, 2014, 3:34 am

There is a reason the Russians colonized and ethnically cleansed Crimea generations ago: so that it would be Russian. Sheesh.
jwaggs
Founding Member

Postby jwaggs » March 20th, 2014, 11:39 am

Sevastopol is Russia's only warm water port. They aren't going to turn it over to NATO.

Given that Russia has been invaded by the West on and off since the 13th century, starting with the Teutonic Knights, and, more recently Napoleon and Hitler, Putin thought it strategically wise to maintain a critical military base.
Monte Smith
Founding Member

Postby Monte Smith » March 20th, 2014, 11:53 am

I just hope Obama is as furiously Googling "Crimea" as his supporters and detractors on the internet are.
walto
Founding Member

Postby walto » April 9th, 2014, 2:57 am

Monte Smith wrote:There is a reason the Russians colonized and ethnically cleansed Crimea generations ago: so that it would be Russian. Sheesh.

Yeah, but a decent democracy would never do stu......

Oh, wait.
BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » April 9th, 2014, 6:20 am

I've spent years in the region (Eastern Europe, Central Asia, the USSR and former components thereof). For me, it's like my experience of he United States: there are the people and there is the politics/government. I care deeply about one and the other only to extent that it affects the part I care about.

As a person not directly affected, I've no right to an opinion. They - these people - remain in my heart.
BFrank
Founding Member

Postby BFrank » April 9th, 2014, 9:36 pm

Return to “Politics”