Makanda Project — Springfield, MA | October 4, 2014

Please post upcoming gigs here.
bluenoter
Concierge

Makanda Project — Springfield, MA | October 4, 2014

Postby bluenoter » October 3rd, 2014, 8:37 am

The Makanda Project, an ensemble based in Makanda Ken McIntyre’s hometown of Boston, is dedicated to continuing Makanda’s legacy through the performance of his music – specifically, by playing compositions which Makanda never had the opportunity to record or perform in public. An enormous body of such work exists, reflecting the full range of Makanda’s imagination as a composer. The group hopes that as some of it is heard there will be heightened appreciation for Makanda’s significance as a musician.

The band, which was formed in 2005 and has kept mostly the same personnel since then, consists of 13 musicians: 5 saxophones, 2 trumpets, 2 trombones, a vocalist, piano, bass, and drums. The leader, pianist John Kordalewski, who studied and performed with Makanda, has written arrangements for the large group, working from the lead sheets in Makanda’s notebooks. . . .

http://www.communitymusicschool.com/blog/?tribe_events=private-event-2 [yet another link]
ValerieB
Founding Member

Re: Makanda Project — Springfield, MA | October 4, 2014

Postby ValerieB » October 6th, 2014, 11:54 am

bluenoter wrote: 

The Makanda Project, an ensemble based in Makanda Ken McIntyre’s hometown of Boston, is dedicated to continuing Makanda’s legacy through the performance of his music – specifically, by playing compositions which Makanda never had the opportunity to record or perform in public. An enormous body of such work exists, reflecting the full range of Makanda’s imagination as a composer. The group hopes that as some of it is heard there will be heightened appreciation for Makanda’s significance as a musician.

The band, which was formed in 2005 and has kept mostly the same personnel since then, consists of 13 musicians: 5 saxophones, 2 trumpets, 2 trombones, a vocalist, piano, bass, and drums. The leader, pianist John Kordalewski, who studied and performed with Makanda, has written arrangements for the large group, working from the lead sheets in Makanda’s notebooks. . . .

http://www.communitymusicschool.com/blog/?tribe_events=private-event-2 [yet another link]

bluenoter: this post gave me chills for several reasons, some of which are not obvious. the last time I spoke to Makanda, he was sitting behind me at a viewing of my ex-husband at a funeral home in Harlem. that was over 16 years ago. and, lastly, October 4th, was his birthday. he would have been 87 years of age. R.I.P. to both Walter and Makanda. and thanks to you for the wonderful post!
relyles
Founding Member

Re: Makanda Project — Springfield, MA | October 4, 2014

Postby relyles » October 8th, 2014, 7:40 am

I had my jacket on and was walking out the door to attend this concert when my wife and daughter asked me to stay home and hang out with them. Although I am sure in the long run I made the right decision to stay home, still feel bummed that I missed this one as I had been looking forward to it for a while.

Return to “Gigs”