Pandeirista Scott Feiner in New York and Boston | June/July

Please post upcoming gigs here.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Pandeirista Scott Feiner in New York and Boston | June/July

Postby Ron Thorne » June 27th, 2014, 4:58 pm

Scott Feiner is a remarkable musician, and one of the very few professional pandeiro players in the U.S. I bought my pandeiro from Scott several years ago and have since been watching and listening to his amazing achievements with this extraordinary instrument.

I highly recommend trying to catch him at one of these performances or taking his clinic if inclined. You won't regret it.

Rochester Jazz Festival, Saturday, June 28

Looking forward to making the road trip up to Rochester, NY for 13th edition of the Rochester International Jazz Festival this Saturday. Making the trip up from NYC with me will be Mike Moreno and Vitor Gonçalves. It's going to be a fun drive up and an even more fun show! Rochester has long been known as a "jazz city" and I'm looking forward to going there for the first time. This is also my first US jazz festival appearance, after having already played at many in Brazil, as well as in Europe.

Saturday, June 28
7 & 9:15pm

Smalls Jazz Club, NYC
Thursday, July 17

I'll be at the world famous Smalls Jazz Club in Greenwich Village with Mike Moreno (guitar) and Sam Yahlel (piano). If you're not in NYC you'll be able to watch a live webcast of the show for free on the Smalls website. If you didn't hear this trio back in April at Cornelia St Cafe now is your chance!

Thursday, July 17

9:30 & 11:00pm sets
183 W. 10th Street, NYC
$20 cover (entitles you to stay for both sets as well as the groups that will play both before and after us)

Regattabar, Boston
Friday, July 18

Friday, July 18
This will be my first time performing at the renowned Regattabar (technically located in Cambridge), so I hope to see all of you Boston, or nearby Boston, folks come out. With me will be Mike Moreno (guitar) and Vitor Gonçalves (piano). This will be the only CD release performance for A View From Below in the Boston area. Apparently the Regattabar will cancel a show if there aren't enough advance ticket sales, so if you intend to go please purchase your tickets ahead of time!

Click here to reserve your seat!

Friday, July 18
7:30pm show only
$16 cover charge
Regattabar at the Charles Hotel
One Bennett Street, Cambridge, MA

Pandeiro Workshop, Boston
Saturday, July 19

Saturday, July 19
I'm rarely in the Boston area, so if you're interested in studying with me this is a great opportunity. Advance registration is highly encouraged, as the workshop will be cancelled if there aren't enough people signed up ahead of time.

Click here to reserve your place!

Saturday, July 19

10am - 12pm
$25 in advance
Limited spaces - reserve yours now
1353 Cambridge St
Cambridge, MA 02139

More info:

Scott's Website

Copyright © 2014 Pandeiro Jazz, All rights reserved.
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Re: Pandeirista Scott Feiner in New York and Boston | June/J

Postby Ron Thorne » July 18th, 2014, 11:54 am

Scott Feiner, the pandeiro man

By Jeremy D. Goodwin
| Globe Correspondent July 17, 2014

One instrument can make all the difference.

Scott Feiner traveled a circuitous path — shaped by some dramatic lifestyle changes — toward his current status as an accomplished player of the pandeiro, a percussion instrument common to traditional Brazilian music. But he had to stumble almost accidentally upon the innovation that now defines his work, a unique marriage spelled out in the billing for his Friday show at Regattabar: Scott Feiner & Pandeiro Jazz.

“In Brazil everyone knows what a pandeiro is, but nobody associates it with jazz. You get out of Brazil and most people don't know what a pandeiro is, but they know — or they should know — what jazz is,” Feiner says on the phone from his home in New York City.

In Feiner’s brand of contemporary jazz, the only percussion instrument used is the pandeiro, a hand drum that’s comparable to the tambourine. The resulting music isn’t anything you’d casually describe as Brazilian jazz, or even a crossover blend, though Brazilian elements do pop up, like the baião rhythm on “O Forno” or the ijexá one on “Fonte,” Feiner points out. As far as he knows, the pandeiro has never before been the sole drum used by a jazz band.

Full Story

Return to “Gigs”