Turntables

Discuss equipment, technology, problems, nostalgia, etc.
Cem
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Turntables

Postby Cem » August 26th, 2014, 8:57 pm

Any recommendations on low to mid-range tts or "antiques"?

5 years ago when I moved across the continent, had to part with my vinyl and some components… bad idea! In retrospect, should've kept the records and stereo and sold the cds.

Anyway, in need of a good turntable, to play records I am slowly gleaning here and there.
Your recommendations would be appreciated.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Turntables

Postby Ron Thorne » August 26th, 2014, 9:37 pm

Cem, as you know, there has been a tremendous revival in vinyl and turntables in recent years.

I don't have the definitive answer to your question, which is a very subjective one. However, the link below should prove useful. I would feel confident with several of these turntables, as well as my old Rek-O-Kut K34H.

MUSIC HALL MMF-2.2
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
Cem

Postby Cem » August 27th, 2014, 9:49 pm

Thank you, Ron, for the link. I've received some other good recs on fb, as well. I think, I'll keep an eye out for probably a used Thorens or Rega or some such. I'm open to other suggestions, too.
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » August 28th, 2014, 10:06 am

My Sansui has served me well for over 40 years. I can't remember what it cost but I think it was quite a bit.
Bright moments
Cem

Postby Cem » August 28th, 2014, 3:59 pm

Thanks, Clint, I'll add that to the list. Considering getting an older/vintage one that needs some work, as long as it's built solid with few moving parts.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » August 28th, 2014, 6:34 pm

Cem, in case you missed my reference, if you're interested in an "old school" TT, Rek-O-Kut belt drives were pretty damned simple and solid.

Rek-O-Kut K34H

This is the arm I used with my Rek-O-Kut:

Grado Laboratory Series Arm

I just discovered this rare Rek-O-Kut L34H on eBay, which is very intriguing. It's a direct drive with an idler wheel and fabulous motor.

BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » August 29th, 2014, 9:42 am

I liked my Thorens TD160 and my Connoisseur BD103 and loved my Regal Planar 3. Be sure to factor in the price of a tonearm, if not included, a cartridge and PROPER set up. Tools to do your own set up aren't terribly expensive, maybe US$60. If you buy new, you can get a package (turntable, cartridge, and setup). The new package also ensures tonearm/ cartridge compatibility. Used cartridges can be a gamble where the "wager" is your records.
Also don't forget a phono preamplifier, if you receiver/preamplifier doesn't have one with proper impedence/resistance/"loading" for your cartridge.
Cem

Postby Cem » August 29th, 2014, 12:33 pm

Thanks, Ron. I thought, I might be too much of a klutz to pull that off and maybe too expensive, no? Sounds fantastic otherwise.
Thanks, Bebop... stuff to think about. Thorens, Linn, Rega, even Technics and Mitsubishi upright all come highly recommended. I'm not an audiophile, but want to get the maximum audio for not much dough. Just want as pure a sound as I can afford.
A friend is going to unload two of his old turntables on me… not even sure what brands or what shape they are in. I will get them looked at first. Then, I will look at all of these recs in detail.
Great info, guys… cheers!
Cem

Postby Cem » August 30th, 2014, 5:05 am

I got the turntables -- a Kenwood and a Yamaha. I'm not expecting great results out of such flimsy consumer model tt's… maybe the Yamaha is ok. We'll see…
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » August 31st, 2014, 1:53 pm

I've owned my trusty old Linn LP12/Lingo/Ittok for close to 25 yrs without a problem. They can be a bit pricey though so it's probably not what yr looking for. The one bit of advice I'd offer is to be careful with your records! A bad TT/cartridge can do irreversible damage to them! TT's can come and go but the LP's are forever!;)
BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » August 31st, 2014, 5:23 pm

Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » August 31st, 2014, 6:53 pm

A great site for all things analog; needledoctor.com. Been around for awhile and they offer gear at all price points!
BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » September 1st, 2014, 5:26 pm

jtx
Commodore

Postby jtx » September 3rd, 2014, 11:25 pm

Another article with turntable recommendations:

Of course, since the rest of the Internet has also read this article, many of the turntables described as cheap are no longer that cheap. This is the same thing that has happened over the last couple of years to analog camera lenses.
Cem

Postby Cem » September 4th, 2014, 11:29 am

Thanks again, BeBop… and Chazro and Justin. Lots more useful guidance coming from JT folk than I'd expected on this.

I think, I'm going to take it slow and try and find a well-made, probably second hand unit like Thorens, Linn or Rega and be ready to spend about 500 bucks, which is a lot for me. BeBop reminded me of the possible need for a preamp. How much does one need to spend on a decent preamp? I have two receivers; both low-end(ish) consumer models. One is a Yamaha RX-V659, the other a Harman/Kardon AVR 700.

Ron's idea of the kit is a possibility. I only worry that I'm not handy with such things.

Thank you all and keep the ideas coming.
Cem

Postby Cem » September 4th, 2014, 12:02 pm

I kind of like this guy here:

…and this one:

I know little about buying such things, so not wanting to buy duds requiring tons of repairs or parts to work right.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » September 4th, 2014, 5:00 pm

BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » September 4th, 2014, 6:05 pm

I would second Ron's AudioAdvisor suggestion. If you buy from them, you'll get something properly set-up. Watch for specials and closeouts. If you get their e-mails, there are frequent coupons.

Just to clarify on the amplification, no matter what turntable/cartridge you get, you will need a phono preamp. If you have a receiver or preamp with an input labelled "phono", you're set. If you get a low output cartridge (many consider them to sound better, typically a "moving coil" design), you will also need a "step-up device" to raise the signal to a level that the phono preamp can work with.

Clear as mud?
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » September 4th, 2014, 6:13 pm

Thanks for that clarification re: phono preamp, BeBop. You are correct, sir. My mind was in a different space with respect to those, having always had a dedicated preamp/amp to work with. Some of the current tube-type preamps are pretty hip and have gotten a lot more affordable.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » September 4th, 2014, 6:20 pm

Cem

Postby Cem » September 6th, 2014, 2:06 pm

Thank you, Ron & BeBop!
Lots to research and consider.
Sadly, Audio Advisor will be tricky for us north of the border. Customs costs will be prohibitive. I did just order some headphones from them. We'll see how badly the customs ding.
BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » September 6th, 2014, 4:43 pm

Ooooh. Didn't know you were "one of them". This place has used stuff, but dealers also list: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/classifi ... urntables/
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » September 6th, 2014, 5:05 pm

You're welcome, Cem.

Sorry that I didn't factor in the hassle and expense of customs costs and other costs associated with sending products from the U.S. to Canada.

After doing a bit of research, I discovered a couple of worthy online audio sources based in Canada, which should level the playing field for you.

http://www.everestaudio.com/

Check out this affordable Dual TT, Cem. It also features a built-in phono preamp, so you only need an amp to be set. The model CS-440-EV is the same TT without the built-in phono preamp, and costs $50 less, but may not be available at Everest Audio.

DUAL CS 440-BP turntable with built-in phono preamp

This is complete with head shell and cartridge for less than $500.00 CAD*! You may want to upgrade to a higher end cartridge at some point, but this would definitely get you on the road with a brand new rig from a very respected maker of turntables.

* The price above is Canadian (CAD), not USD.
Cem

Postby Cem » September 6th, 2014, 7:33 pm

BeBop, yes, that looks like a good Canadian resource. I've come across it before, but haven't heard anyone recommend.

Ron, that Dual appears to be a nice, simple solution. I'm tempted.

If you had, say, a $500 limit, would you get a new machine such as that Dual ready to plug and play or an older, sturdier tt, plus a tonearm, cartridge and preamp? I'm leaning towards the latter, but it would require more time and effort… and potentially riskier and more rewarding.

Thank you both, again, for the kind help with research.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » September 7th, 2014, 12:47 pm

Cem, before I answer the $500 question, what amp or amp/preamp combo do you have? Or is your power from an FM Receiver? Do you actually need the phono preamp, or do you have a phono input on your amp?

Return to “Audiophiles”