Headphones

Discuss equipment, technology, problems, nostalgia, etc.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Headphones

Postby Ron Thorne » July 14th, 2013, 12:31 pm

What brand/model headphones do you own, and which are your absolute favorites? And, if money were no object, which ones would you buy, without question?

Sennheiser HD414
Sennheiser PX100
Grado SR60
Grado SR80
Audio Technica ATH-M50
Sony MDR-V6

I have a soft spot for my Sennheiser HD 414s, which I've had for about 40 years, and which I used every day while working in radio. I also love my Grados, but each set has its strengths and shortcomings. When traveling and using our iPod, the PX1000s are utterly amazing. The bass response doesn't even make sense, coming from a small, open air headphone.

If money was no object, here is what I'd buy, for several reasons.

Grado GS1000i

"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
Blue Train
Founding Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Headphones

Postby Blue Train » July 14th, 2013, 12:43 pm

For anything involving a computer, whatnot and anything not involving water/snow.

PX 100-IIi

Anything involving water/snow....

H2O X-1 & a AMPHIBX

For serious listening....

Tesla T1
"There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind."

- Duke Ellington
BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » July 14th, 2013, 1:16 pm

:music: Because I travel constantly, headphones are all I've got.
Because I travel constantly, I can't have good ones.
Because I'm an impractical fool. I travel with Grado SR80s. (bulky)
Blue Train
Founding Member

Postby Blue Train » July 14th, 2013, 1:28 pm

- Duke Ellington
BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » July 14th, 2013, 1:32 pm

That's tough duty, Blue Train. I top out at about 250,000 air miles, plus quite a few in cars. The real trick to my life is not having a home.
BFrank
Founding Member

Postby BFrank » July 14th, 2013, 2:57 pm

I'm no expert on this, but I have a pair of AKG K240 Studios.

Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » July 14th, 2013, 3:17 pm

There is no "expert on this", BFrank. Obviously, there are good, better, best headphones in terms of frequency response, comfort, and build quality, but ultimately, it's what sounds best on your ears. It's totally subjective, just like amps & speakers.
Blue Train
Founding Member

Postby Blue Train » July 14th, 2013, 3:35 pm

- Duke Ellington
BFrank
Founding Member

Postby BFrank » July 14th, 2013, 4:26 pm

mjb
Founding Member

Postby mjb » July 15th, 2013, 6:07 am

In house I'm using Bowers & Wilkins P5 Probably the most comfortable over ear I've had.

Out and about in ear Shure E4 or Klipsch S4

For the gym Avid Jogger
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » July 15th, 2013, 11:02 am

SInce I fly often I use Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7B QuietPoint Active Noise-Cancelling over the ear phones.

They're currently about $130 on Amazon and I think they give you bang for the buck and are very comfortable for me.

In fact, until recently I wore them in subways, walking around the city, etc.

l don't trust myself to not lose expensive ear buds and most buds I've tried have been uncomfortable for me. I can't stand the iPhone earbuds. Recently I got these Klipsch buds on Amazon for $14 and I like them enough to have stopped lugging around my Audio Technicas. The soft, pliable end makes them much more comfortable than the others I've tried, but again, I've never even tried expensive buds.

Blue Train
Founding Member

Postby Blue Train » July 15th, 2013, 12:38 pm

My PX 100-IIi died. Actually, the right side is dead. Had it a good 3-years.

- Duke Ellington
mjb
Founding Member

Postby mjb » July 15th, 2013, 1:29 pm

BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » July 15th, 2013, 6:00 pm

I just dont like sticking anything in my ear canal, especially with the intent to wedge it in there. I'd rather take the head-in-a-clamp approach.
BFrank
Founding Member

Postby BFrank » July 15th, 2013, 6:09 pm

I also have a pair of Thinksound TS02's - very nice!

Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » July 15th, 2013, 7:02 pm

Those look like acorns on a mission, Brooks. :lol:
BFrank
Founding Member

Postby BFrank » July 15th, 2013, 9:39 pm

jtx
Commodore

Postby jtx » July 16th, 2013, 11:46 am

For nicely isolated, accurately-reproduced listening in the office, I use the very capable Shure SRH440 headphones. The coiled cable is extremely useful in the office setting.

For recording, I use the Audio-Technica ATH-M40fs headphones. As these come with a 1/4-inch stereo plug, I use a Grado adapter cable when plugging into 1/8-inch sources. This avoids any unneeded stress on the plug. You can wear these for hours without fatigue, so sometimes I just use them for listening.

My oldest pair of Sennheisers are from the late 1980s. They are open design, have very accurate reproduction of digitally-recorded music, so they are good when I am in a quiet place. Also very lightweight and comfortable to wear, the HD480:

For traveling, I place a premium on isolation, comfort and avoiding tangled cords. For those purposes, and because I can equalize my music to counteract the enhanced bass response (the overall sound is still quite good), I make use of the Philips O'Neill SHO9560 headphones, which I picked up for 50% off on Amazon last September.

All of the above headphones have replaceable cords and/or parts, which helps ensure they continue to be useful well into the future. I also have a handful of other interesting portable headphones collected over the years. I've tried many times, but just cannot use earbuds, as they drive my ears crazy.
Blue Train
Founding Member

Postby Blue Train » July 16th, 2013, 12:51 pm

Considering a Shure, or Etymotic to replace my Sennheiser. Still might just get the Sennheiser. I like to limit the amount I spend phones, computers, whatnot.

- Duke Ellington
mjb
Founding Member

Postby mjb » July 16th, 2013, 3:21 pm

stonemonkts
Founding Member

Postby stonemonkts » July 16th, 2013, 5:33 pm

I use a simple pair for travel/working out, and traditional cans for serious listening. Both are Sennheiser.

mjb
Founding Member

Postby mjb » July 16th, 2013, 6:14 pm

I like the look of these.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » July 16th, 2013, 6:28 pm

I've been a fan of Sennheiser products for a long time. I got my first pair of their headphones (HD-414s) in the mid-70s, and still love and use them. I failed to post a photo of them earlier, so here they are in all of their retro glory. I've had yellow, gray and blue ear pads over the years. Their open-air design is not for everyone, but I love it. These have unbelievably transparent mids and highs, and punchy bass, considering. Don't be fooled by their appearance, as many have been.

Sennheiser microphones are also phenomenal, and we used them extensively at the jazz station where I worked, KJZZ-FM — Alaska's Jazz Giant.
jtx
Commodore

Postby jtx » July 16th, 2013, 7:55 pm

My portable audio setup is a little unconventional. I have an 80GB gen 5.5 iPod, with Rockbox firmware installed, allowing me to bypass iTunes and just drag and drop all my audio onto the device, and also allowing me to use alternative audio compression formats such as Musepack (my favorite) and Ogg Vorbis. And Rockbox provides massive audio tweaking options. Battery life is also pretty decent despite likely using a lot of processor power to process the audio.

To listen, I use a FiiO L3 iPod/iPhone dock audio connector (line-out) plugged into a FiiO E5 headphone amp, thereby bypassing the iPod amplifier. This will drive anything I plug into it with room to spare.

L3

E5
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » July 18th, 2013, 12:03 pm

I've had my Sennheiser HD600's for close to 10 yrs now, I replaced the stock cable with one from Cardas and recently replaced the ear cushions, they're as good as new. Coupled with a Musical Fidelity tube headphone amp, Senn's have great synergy with tubes.

I recently got a new pair of IEM's (inner ear monitors), Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10's. When these were 1st introduced in '07 the MRSP was around $400! They've since been discontinued but stock abounds, new and used. Got mine for $150. I've been in the audiophile hobby for 30+ yrs and like to think I know good sound, I can't believe the sound from these little guys! I'm lookin' real hard at the Fiio E12 amp for portable use, but these bad boys sound fantastic straight outta my Ipod. It's that audiophile itch, got a monkey on my back!;)

Return to “Audiophiles”