Evan Parker 9/9/2014 @ The Stone

Post your review of a Jazz event or a review you've seen. If it's not your review, please include URL or other attribution.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Steve Reynolds
Founding Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Evan Parker 9/9/2014 @ The Stone

Postby Steve Reynolds » September 11th, 2014, 4:39 pm

The sets:

9/9 Tuesday
8 pm
Evan Parker, John Escreet, John Hebert and Tyshawn Sorey
Evan Parker (tenor and soprano saxophones) John Escreet (piano) John Hebert (piano) Tyshawn Sorey (percussion)

10 pm
Evan Parker with Joe McPhee, Barre Phillips, and Chris Corsano
Evan Parker (tenor and soprano saxophone) Joe McPhee (trumpet) Barre Phillips (bass) Chris Corsano (drums)

A few comments:

My seat is in the front row all the way to the left within 3 feet of the piano with the bench even closer. Hebert behind Parker with Sorey to my right smack dab in from of my friend Tony who is 5-6 seats to the right from me. I soon found out I had the best seat in the house as the only issues about the set is that I heard afterwords from some is that the piano was not miked and wasn't audible enough for some but for me, it was perfect in the mix. Usually I'm not the guy who is afraid of sitting on the drummer's side and usually Sorey is more light that heat but I guess the first 5 - 7 minutes gave us a clue that he was going to drive the quartet.

Lotsa guts driving a band with Evan Parker in it - but the drummerman has got his shit together. Through the first 45 minute piece with EP on tenor, it was ripping and roaring free jazz with the focus clearly being in the saxophone/drum interaction and it was fiery hot with Hebert and Escreet trying to find their way in from time to time.

The second 25 minute piece had EP switching to soprano and this piece needs to be on a recording in a better world. Hebert really found his place in the music while Sorey pulled it back just a bit which put the band into that special balance that only happens when it happens.

EP played the greatest sounding gritty and gorgeous soprano I've ever heard him play live whether circular or the more traditional playing of that horn. From the gut and the heart. The overtones and that amazing sound that no one else gets from the straight horn was being played 6 feet in front of me.

Second set - I thought Barre Phillips was the highlight with Evan Parker. McPhee brought that Ayler influenced spritual wonderfully bleary tones from both his pocket trumpet and soprano sax - with the mini trumpet quite a bit more effective to these ears. I would always prefer to hear the great improvisor on the tenor or even the alto sax than the soprano. For me especially hard to hear his sound on that horn compared to Evan Parker.

Corsano did not lead the band like Sorey - and although I enjoyed the blocks he used and the small quick sounds and the use of metal, skin, wood and strings, etc., he never got that intense fire going like he could. Almost like Lovens of Steven or Sanders - but missing that snap and extreme crackle that the really great improv drummers exhibit. All the talent and technique to get there - but I say still a bit intimidated by being surrounded by 3 legendary improvisors had him not as forceful as he might be. Again, I'm just surmising that and if true, also understandable. That being said, I still enjoyed him and he has a huge future in this music.

Evan finished on tenor after switching to soprano - the table where he kept his horns was within 2 feet of me and I really was tempted to want to touch. In fact I could have reached out and touched The saxophonist, he was so close to me - and to hear, feel, and almost touch was another example of my long list dreams being a reality once again. And when he switched back to tenor with Phillips playing something gorgeous, Parker got into a groove in a spot between intensity and those soft slower passages that topped off two 70 minute sets with grace and a bit of fire. This us a spot he doesn't often reach. In fact very few often do in this music. I've heard Dunmall get there twice - once in around 2000, and then once last time at Vision Fest. It can't be planned - it is that vibe or groove that is that rare thing - did Ornette say Beauty is a Rare Thing?

Very blessed to be there for the one night at least - a very special night indeed
Cem

Re: Evan Parker 9/9/2014 @ The Stone

Postby Cem » September 11th, 2014, 6:21 pm

Thanks for the report, lucky man!! EP's residency would've been worth the 900 mile roundtrip trek to NY…
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Re: Evan Parker 9/9/2014 @ The Stone

Postby Ron Thorne » September 11th, 2014, 6:31 pm

Very nice reportage, as usual, Steve. I often feel transported to the gig when you write a review — with your usual passion and take-no-prisoners style.

By the way, I've been a longtime fan of Barre Phillips, so was glad to read about his impact.

Thanks!
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne

Return to “Live Music Reviews”