Dafnis Prieto Sextet live at the Jazz Standard- Holy Sh_t!!!

Post your review of a Jazz event or a review you've seen. If it's not your review, please include URL or other attribution.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
steve(thelil)
Founding Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby steve(thelil) » October 27th, 2013, 6:15 am

Dafnis Prieto Sextet Live at the Jazz Standard, NYC. Saturday October 26; First set:

Peter Apfelbaum, saxophones and flute; Felipe Lamoglia, saxophones; Mike Rodriguez, trumpet; Manuel Valera, piano; and Johannes Weidenmueller, bass.

I'm old and jaded and I've seen everyone twice (I'm exaggerating except for the old and jaded part). So often I see a performance that I know is excellent, but I'm not really moved. And when that happens, it makes me think that I'm not capable of being REALLY moved by a performance anymore.

Last night I was blown away by the Dafnis Prieto sextet. Dafnis, a MacArthur Genius winner, is an astounding drummer, and it isn't just technical ability. His creative choices made the entire sold-out room gasp several times during solos (and at other moments.) It was also a blast to watch the other band members' expressions and reactions as Dafnis soloed. They hear him every night and STILL can't believe what they're hearing!

On top of that, the compositions and arrangements were stunningly beautiful. It wasn't so much about soloing by the other players (and there wasn't that much soloing by them). Manuel Valera did shine on piano, and Peter Apfelbaum had some very tasty moments as well. But it was Dafnis's skills on the skins and the gorgeousness of the compositions that made it unforgettable. (And restaurateur Danny Meyer's pulled pork, macaroni and Smoked Duck Gumbo with Homemade Tasso Ham, Andouille and Rice didn't suck!)

Just a great night!
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » October 27th, 2013, 6:40 am

Guess I'll have to put this group on my short list. Been to the Standard many times and always enjoyed the music as well as the food when I chose to eat there. I like to eat upstairs before going downstairs for the music.
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ― Frank Sinatra
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » October 27th, 2013, 7:41 am

Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Postby Mike Schwartz » October 27th, 2013, 9:54 am

Excellent recap thelil....saw it on FB....thanks!

Return to “Live Music Reviews”