Weekend Music - Black Host, Harris Eisenstadt, Nat Reeves

Post your review of a Jazz event or a review you've seen. If it's not your review, please include URL or other attribution.
relyles
Founding Member

Weekend Music - Black Host, Harris Eisenstadt, Nat Reeves

Postby relyles » September 16th, 2013, 10:24 am

It was a very musical weekend for me. Friday night i caught Gerald Cleaver and Black Host at Firehouse 12 in New Haven. In addition to Cleaver, the band features pianist Cooper-Moore, alto saxophonist Darius Jones, bassist Pascal Niggenkemper and guitarist Brandon Seabrook. Cleaver describes the concept of the band essentially as playing with a certain type of energy using grooves, simple melodies and "pop music". It really is hard to explain the experience. Before the set began Gerald handed out ear plugs to the audience, explaining that "this is a loud band". Indeed it is, but it is much more than that. It is a very intense experience and they do take it out - at times it feels like a sixties free jazz blowout, but underneath it there is always a groove and/or melodic content that keeps it grounded. Interestingly, a few of the Firehouse 12 regulars whose tastes I do not think go very far out loved the show.

Saturday night I traveled to Goshen, MA to hear Harris' Eisenstadt's Golden State with Nicole Mitchell, bassonist Sara Schoenback and bassist Mark Dresser. This was on the other end of the spectrum than Black Host, but very enjoyable. I think I am ready to leave my family for Nicole Mitchell. She is a flute player that forces me to actually listen to flute when most don't and there is something about her overall spirit that is warm and inviting. As is true with most of Eisenstadt's bands there is an emphasis on composition and most of the tunes had interesting grooves, twists and turns. Interestingly, most of the rhythm foundation fell to Dresser because Eisenstadt never seems to play a groove, pattern or beat more than once. Instead, he skitters around the drum set interacting with the band in more of a melodic manner. every time I hear Dresser I am reminded that he is a vastly skilled bassist.

Sunday was the Hartford Jazz Society's 52nd Annual Jazz Cruise. The featured artist was Nat Reeves' All Star Quintet with Eric Alexander, Steve Davis, Harold Mabern, Joe Farnsworth and a number of guests. They performed the expected hard bop repetoire, but played it with sincerity and conviction. Really hard not to enjoy. Since I am on the board of the Hartford Jazz Society the event was more work than pure entertainment for me and three hours into the seven hour cruise I was ready do go home. The music was also a bit too loud for my preferences. In any event, it was a great day on the river with non-stop good sounds from Reeves' ensemble and the other more local band that played.
Tom Storer
Éminence Grise

Re: Weekend Music - Black Host, Harris Eisenstadt, Nat Reeve

Postby Tom Storer » September 16th, 2013, 12:22 pm

You're a busy man, Ronald. ;) I didn't know you were on the board of the Hartford Jazz Society. What's that like? Could you tell us a little about it, its activities, funding, etc.?
Praise Cheeses!

Return to “Live Music Reviews”