Mulgrew Miller's Birthday Celebration

Post your review of a Jazz event or a review you've seen. If it's not your review, please include URL or other attribution.
hornplayer
Founding Member

Mulgrew Miller's Birthday Celebration

Postby hornplayer » August 14th, 2013, 6:22 am

Mulgrew Miller Birthday Celebration (Tuesday) Mulgrew Miller, who died in the spring at 57, was a soulful and erudite pianist who had a deep influence on the jazz mainstream. This tribute, held on his birthday, involves some of the musicians he worked with most: the alto and soprano saxophonist Steve Wilson, the vibraphonist Steve Nelson, the trumpeter Duane Eubanks, the bassist Richie Goods and the drummer Rodney Green. One of the pianists is Johnny O’Neal, a contemporary of Mr. Miller’s, and a mutual admirer. At 7:30 and 9:30 p.m., Dizzy’s Club Coca-Cola, Frederick P. Rose Hall, Jazz at Lincoln Center, 60th Street and Broadway, (212) 258-9595, jalc.org; $40 cover, $20 for students, with a $10 minimum. (Chinen)

Oh boy! Did this not begin to cover what happened last night at Dizzy's! Yes, all those people were there -- and the others who showed up to pay tribute to Mulgrew were legion! The first sold out set started early - scheduled for 7 but pushed back to 7:15, it went on until almost 9:30. The folks for the second oversold set were lined up and weren't being admitted until 10!

Steve Wilson organized the evening and served as leader/MC. I don't think I remember all the pianists who played. Some highlights were Cyrus Chestnut, Matthew Fries, Bill Charlap, Anthony Wonsey, Johnny O'Neal, and (my favorite) Kenny Barron. Other musicians who played: Russell Malone, Ray Drummond, Lewis Nash, Peter Washington, Kenny (The Jazz Maniac) Washington, Javon Jackson, Wallace Roney, Jonah Jonathan, Joe Lovano. I know I've left out some important folks.

I didn't take any photos, but my good friend did. I will try to post some later. Did any other New Yorkers make it to Dizzy's last night?
Life's short, drink well.
Hornplayer
www.feastivals.com/blog
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Re: Mulgrew Miller's Birthday Celebration

Postby Ron Thorne » August 14th, 2013, 12:58 pm

Wow, what a celebration, and a deserved one. Too bad it wasn't simply a Birthday Bash. :(
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » August 15th, 2013, 5:05 am

hornplayer wrote:Steve Wilson organized the evening and served as leader/MC. I don't think I remember all the pianists who played. Some highlights were Cyrus Chestnut, Matthew Fries, Bill Charlap, Anthony Wonsey, Johnny O'Neal, and (my favorite) Kenny Barron. Other musicians who played: Russell Malone, Ray Drummond, Lewis Nash, Peter Washington, Kenny (The Jazz Maniac) Washington, Javon Jackson, Wallace Roney, Jonah Jonathan, Joe Lovano. I know I've left out some important folks.

If it were I, I'd remember only one or two people! An announcement at jalc.org may or may not have turned out to be accurate:
This celebration, hosted by musical director Steve Wilson, features an all-star core band, with Kenny Barron, Johnny O’Neal, Anthony Wonsey, Sullivan Fortner, and Chris Pattishall on piano, and unannounced special guests.
Image           Image     
hornplayer
Founding Member

Postby hornplayer » August 15th, 2013, 6:09 am

If it were I, I'd remember only one or two people! An announcement at jalc.org may or may not have turned out to be accurate:
This celebration, hosted by musical director Steve Wilson, features an all-star core band, with Kenny Barron, Johnny O’Neal, Anthony Wonsey, Sullivan Fortner, and Chris Pattishall on piano, and unannounced special guests.

Those two were there, Rita. I know all the others, that's how I could remember their names... Bill Pierce was also present but didn't play.
Life's short, drink well.
Hornplayer
www.feastivals.com/blog

Return to “Live Music Reviews”