Branford Marsalis played >In My Solitude< | Basel, 1/28/2016

Post your review of a Jazz event or a review you've seen. If it's not your review, please include URL or other attribution.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
rawac
Founding Member

Branford Marsalis played >In My Solitude< | Basel, 1/28/2016

Postby rawac » January 29th, 2016, 5:40 am

Yesterday he did so in Basel, Martinskirche (church of St. Martin). Just Branford himself, no band, no microphone, no speakers. The same idea as in his recording >In My Solitude< from Grace Cathedral, San Francisco, 2012.

The church was filled completely, sold out, 700+ listeners. Which means, its smaller than Grace Cathedral. I have been in the middle of the central aisle, so it was fine without amplification. Someone in the back of the side aisles (I hope its the right word, had to look it up) may be not so satisfied.

He played two sets plus two encores. Compared with the recording he was more >relaxed<, less intensive, less highbrow (again I'm not really sure it's the right word. in German i would say "Nicht so unter Hochspannung"). This made made the concert very herable, entertaining. Was a trip through the history of reeds, beginning with Bach up to now, not only jazz. For example he played a "When the Saints Go Marching In" an first encore. Also two sets where a good idea, better then on long one. Seemed to be a short-term decision, the people from jazz offbeat Basel apologized for been not able to organize a catering for the break.

Conclusion: 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Best wishes from the south-west corner of Germany

Ralf
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Branford Marsalis played >In My Solitude< | Basel, 1/28/2016

Postby Ron Thorne » January 29th, 2016, 5:28 pm

Ralf, thanks very much for your overview and comments with respect to Branford Marsalis' recent solo outing in Basel. The venue sounds extraordinary, and wonderfully suited to such an event.

Your English is fine, so no apologies are necessary. I knew exactly what you were sharing with us and appreciate your efforts.

Yes, some light food & drink is always a bonus between the 1st and 2nd sets.
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne

Return to “Live Music Reviews”