Me and Lee at the Billy Hart 4 show at The Jazz Standard

Post your review of a Jazz event or a review you've seen. If it's not your review, please include URL or other attribution.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
steve(thelil)
Founding Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Me and Lee at the Billy Hart 4 show at The Jazz Standard

Postby steve(thelil) » March 11th, 2017, 7:54 am

Had a really special treat tonight BEFORE the Billy Hart Quartet show at the Jazz Standard. The quartet consisted of Mark Turner on alto, Ben Street on bass, Ethan Iverson (of Bad Plus fame) on piano and Billy Hart on drums. The music was sophisticated and sublime BUT the thrill of the evening occurred before the show started.
.......UB and I got there early to get our favorite table in the bar area and to eat. A tousled haired elderly gentleman walked by and the staff seemed to know and like him. He circulated the club, seemingly looking to find people he might know, chatting up people at several tables.
.......At some point he walked over and said hello to us. He told us George Wein was in the audience. I mentioned someone I knew that was close to George Wein. Then I asked him his name and answered Lee Konitz.
........I blurted YOU'RE LEE KONITZ! and shook his hand and told him what a thrill it was to meet him and how much I admired his work. I was able to remember the name of an album of his I love ("Yes, Yes Nonette" and he smiled and said "That's a good one" and started to talk about how he had recently been listening to his own records (as if it was something he hadn't done much until recently) and said he was enjoying them, as if he wasn't sure he would be.
.........As natural and comfortable as the conversation was, I kept saying to myself "I just talked to Lee Konitz!" I think it was more mind-blowing because we started talking before I knew it was Lee Konitz!

Return to “Live Music Reviews”