Steve Lehman Octet - Mise en Abime (2014)

Please post reviews with artist's name, followed by the title of the recording.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
HenryMc
Founding Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Steve Lehman Octet - Mise en Abime (2014)

Postby HenryMc » June 28th, 2014, 5:27 am

Steve Lehman Octet - Mise en Abime
This new release has been garnering praise in downbeat and online. To my ears this is a very composed album. Even the places which one would think would serve as jumping off points for solos feel composed. It reminds me in part of something which has in part been influenced by Dolphy’s Out to Lunch (no bad thing).
There are hints of hip hop and modern rock influence but these are not overt. The musicianship is first rate throughout but the tunes are not that memorable and I can see none becoming standards. The lone sax that opens the cd particularly sounds like a dolphy track , and more so when the ensemble comes in. The drumming in ’13 colors’sets up a funky background over which the sax floats against an insistence of vibes. This is like a sound track of some 2014 meets 1972 new York drug movie ….look there goes popeye doyle. ‘Glass enclosure transcription”continues this theme. Elevator door chimes opens coded – brice wassy’and a floating very sheppian sax slides over it. The sturm und drang opening of autumn interlude’hints at depth but then becomes almost mechanised in a metropolis manner before the sax wails almost against the theme. “Chimera-luchini’ is more of the highly stylised writing. The bonging of the vibes on this track is working against the ensemble playing (counterpoint? But needlessly so) . It makes sense but barely. The last track “parisienne thoroughfare transcription’ is mercifully short, seeking to make some point but ending up sounding like the scraps better musicians left on the cutting room floor. This is not to say that mood the band was going for was not reached but the vocals sound like some drunk was moaning over mastertapes.
So is this the most important record of 2014? No? but it’s a good one. I have enjoyed listening to it and its growing on me especially dingman’s vibes ( what a great name for a vibes player ...dingman) and shim’s tenor. I would recommend it to those who loved steve coleman back in the 1990s

Tracks
1. Segregated and Sequential
2. 13 Colors
3. Glass Enclosure Transcription
4. Codes - Brice Wassy
5. Autumn Interlude
6. Beyond All Limits
7. Chimer -Luchini
8. Parisian Thoroughfare Transcription

Steve Lehman: alto saxophone, electronics; Mark Shim: tenor saxophone; Jonathan Finlayson: trumpet; Tim Albright: trombone; Chris Dingman: vibraphone; Jose Davila: tuba; Drew Gress: bass; Tyshawn Sorey: drums
HenryMc
Founding Member

Re: Steve Lehman Octet - Mise en Abime (2014)

Postby HenryMc » June 28th, 2014, 5:45 pm

here's a taste

CraigP

Postby CraigP » July 17th, 2014, 2:54 am

I'm a fan of Lehman's previous recording with this same group, Travail, Transformation and Flow, and I like this one a lot as well. I reviewed this on my blog and wrote (in part):

"The combination of Lehman’s ascetic alto, the intricate yet melodic compositions, and the overtones created, particularly by the vibraphone, creates a signature sound. Vibist Chris Dingman plays a key role, prominent in the mix, his dense ringing overtones a continual presence in both solo and ensemble sections...

There’s always been an element of emotional distance in Lehman’s music, but it serves here to create an air of mystery. The combination of the geometric arrangements and ringing vibes create a feeling of suspended animation..."

You can read the full review here:
Steve Reynolds
Founding Member

Postby Steve Reynolds » July 27th, 2014, 11:49 am

Embedded tune sounds great.

I think I've been missing out. I'm going to make sure I get these 2 CDs and more importantly make sure I go see the band when they play in NYC.

Fwiw any band with Tyshawn Sorey is worth seeing live
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » July 27th, 2014, 3:14 pm

Steve Reynolds
Founding Member

Postby Steve Reynolds » July 27th, 2014, 5:07 pm

I would love to go tomorrow night for the duo with Marilyn Crispell and then a trio with Mark Helias and the great pianist. Alas, job and my life preclude me from making it.

Very happy to have attended two great shows the last 2 Fridays

Looking forward to Tyshawn in September with Evan Parker

Return to “Record Reviews”