Steve Swallow "Into the Woodwork"

Please post reviews with artist's name, followed by the title of the recording.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
peterdubya
Founding Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Steve Swallow "Into the Woodwork"

Postby peterdubya » April 1st, 2014, 4:30 pm

I love this CD, great ebb and flow, and incredible playing by all.
The band is Chris Cheek - sax, Steve Cardenas - Guitar, Carla Bley - organ, Jorge Rossy - Drums.
The music is a great journey, with song flowing into song, and lots of different moods and modes. They swing at times, and Steve anchors with great walking bass lines.
His tone is so incredible, immediately recognizable, and the whole CD is wonderful.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Re: Steve Swallow "Into the Woodwork"

Postby Ron Thorne » April 1st, 2014, 7:03 pm

Thanks for those comments on an album by a bassist I've always enjoyed. Steve is a distinctive musician, and one who always places results before popularity. From the samples I've heard, this is a fine quintet ... and recording. It's on my short list.

http://tinyurl.com/m6tsh6g

"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
Tom Storer
Éminence Grise

Re: Steve Swallow "Into the Woodwork"

Postby Tom Storer » May 12th, 2014, 6:12 am

I haven't heard the CD yet, but I saw them in concert when they were touring Europe prior to recording the music. It sounded lovely, and since they were at the start of their tour when I saw them, it could only have gotten better!
Praise Cheeses!

Return to “Record Reviews”