Randy Brecker - The Brecker Bros Band Reunion

Please post reviews with artist's name, followed by the title of the recording.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Chazro
Founding Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Randy Brecker - The Brecker Bros Band Reunion

Postby Chazro » October 3rd, 2013, 1:13 pm

Sigh - What a disappointment this record is. I'll begin by saying I've been a huge fan of the BB's ever since I 1st heard them in Dreams (1971). I own all the BB records and about 95% of everything they recorded individually, not to mention the many, many records I own featuring them. I'm a fan, I wanted to LOVE this record. I hate to say this but the title of this record simply feels like a marketing ploy, and I HATE that. The legacy of the band, not to mention Michael, deserves so much better. Randy even alludes to this saying that of everything he's done, this band seems to be the highpoint (legacy) of his career. I'd tend to agree and question the decisions he made regarding this project. 1st and foremost, he's decided to have his wife, Ada Rovatti fill in for Michael. She may be a good Sax player but these shoes would've been difficult to fill for the best of players, and IMO she's not close. Bob Mintzer, Bill Evans, or even Dave Sanborn would've been a much better fit. Secondly, throughout his career, Randy has always insisted on singing. For me, these cuts have always been throwaways as I've always felt he has a sub-par voice. He sings on a bunch of the tunes on this record and I can't listen to them. So since I was doing the ITunes thing I cherry-picked and bought the instrumentals that appealed to me. With Will Lee, Dave Weckl, George Whitty, & Mike Stern....I don't know, I expected better. The CD comes with a live DVD that I didn't hear but....at best I'd give this 3 outta 5. Sad. The last true BB record was Randy's '34th N Lex' followed by his live record with Bill Evans; 'Soul/Bop Band - Live', great stuff!
Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Re: Randy Brecker - The Brecker Bros Band Reunion

Postby Mike Schwartz » November 4th, 2013, 8:30 pm

The touring band has recently had and old band mate of mine Neil Jason on board. Neil was on the Brecker Bros. for a while. I see that Neil subs on Letterman for Will Lee sometimes.

Return to “Record Reviews”