Buika - La Noche Mas Larga

Please post reviews with artist's name, followed by the title of the recording.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
peterdubya
Founding Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Buika - La Noche Mas Larga

Postby peterdubya » August 26th, 2013, 11:38 am

Concha Buika is an incredible vocalist! I love this new CD.

Her voice is so soulful, deep and passionate, I love the CD.

Pianist Ivan "Melon" Lewis adds a lot to the music. Also Dafnis Preito on drums, Jon Benitez on bass, Pedrito Martinez on percussion and vocals..... this is amazing.

A beautiful version of Abbey Lincoln's "Throw it Away" an interesting take on "Don't Explain" and the Cuban "Siboney." But for me, the CD is worth the price for "La Nave del Olvido." The passion and fire on this one is incredible.

I had heard of her for a while before checking her out, and so glad I did. Love this new CD!
Chazro
Founding Member

Re: Buika - La Noche Mas Larga

Postby Chazro » August 26th, 2013, 1:13 pm

Yr right it's a geat record! Although Prieto, Benitez, & Martinez are only featured on a few select cuts. They were the original reasons I even looked at this record. Turned out to be just another example of looking into a project due to who's on it, and discovering something unexpected and beautiful!

Have you heard the latest from Pedrito Martinez? 'Rumba De La Isla' is the latest from the team behind 'Calle 54'. The buzz is so strong about him right now, another overnight sensation that's actually been around for a long time. This solo project also features John Benitez on acoustic/electric throughout along with longtime latin music veteran, violinist Alfredo De La Fe. What a killer record! I've held off from actually doing a review, guess I thought it might be a little too 'ethnic' for the Corner (oops!;). The true buzz is about the 1st release by his killa quartet being released next month. Actually, don't know why I'm concerned about ethnicity, look at what's been reviewed here since J/talk's premiered!;)

Here's Pedrito where he regularly hold's court at Guantanamera's supper club in midtown Manhatten!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmHdVZdoTiQ

Sorry for hijacking the thread but you opened up the door a crack when you mentioned Pedrito! and I came chargin' in!;)
peterdubya
Founding Member

Postby peterdubya » August 27th, 2013, 3:41 pm

I'm listening to a lot more 'worldy' music of late, and this one is a fine mix of 'jazz' and world.....

I have not heard Pedrito's new CD, but want to..... I am about due for a trip to Amoeba, so I'll see if they have it.
Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Postby Mike Schwartz » August 27th, 2013, 4:18 pm

I've caught a few video clip....like what I'm hearing & seeing...thanks for the recommendation

BTW enjoyed seeing the pic of you and Brad at San Jose Fest

Return to “Record Reviews”