Duduka da Fonseca, New Samba Directions

Please post reviews with artist's name, followed by the title of the recording.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Joe C.
Founding Member

Duduka da Fonseca, New Samba Directions

Postby Joe C. » August 8th, 2013, 7:13 am

Track Listing: Duduka's Mood; Sonho De Maria; Solito; Alana; Isabella; Zelao; Tete; Ceu E Mar; Bad Relation; Samblues.

Personnel: Duduka Da Fonseca: drums; David Feldman: piano; Guto Wirtti: bass.

Record Label: Zoho Music

Just released this week. I knew I was going to like this one even before I heard it as I have his previous recording with the same trio, Plays Toninho Horta (a piano trio playing the music of a guitarist). I wasn't disappointed. This is a great example of Samba (NOT Bossa Nova) meets Jazz. Duduka has the ability to create a very light sound on the drums even though the music is dynamic and hard hitting. I'm reminded of Elvin Jones' playing on Tommy Flanagan's trio recording, Overseas. The tunes are a mix of originals and some fairly obscure Brazilian tunes and the trio has a Bill Evans type of empathy and interplay going. If you think Brazilian music is all about Bossa Nova, I suggest checking this disc out and prepare to be surprised.
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (5.74 KiB) Viewed 5857 times
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Duduka da Fonseca, New Samba Directions

Postby Ron Thorne » August 8th, 2013, 11:37 am

Thanks for the review, Joe. You really have me intrigued.

I just listened to some song samples and it sounds terrific.
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
Joe C.
Founding Member

Re: Duduka da Fonseca, New Samba Directions

Postby Joe C. » August 8th, 2013, 2:15 pm

my favorite track at the moment is Ceu E Mar, written by one of the architects of Bossa Nova, pianist Johnny Alf. He was responsible for using advanced harmonies in his songs in the late 1950s. Jobim and others picked up on this.

Return to “Record Reviews”