MLB — 2015

Random and varied thoughts & topics
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

MLB — 2015

Postby Ron Thorne » April 15th, 2015, 2:50 pm

"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
moldyfigg
Founding Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: MLB — 2015

Postby moldyfigg » April 16th, 2015, 9:01 am

And the Cubs are in first place. I will enjoy that for the few moments that it lasts. :smug:
Bright moments
A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Postby A. Kingstone » April 16th, 2015, 9:53 am

The Blue Jays were actually the first story on MLB.com today. Kevin Pillar's amazing catch.

ESPN isn't aware of baseball in Canada.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » April 21st, 2015, 3:19 pm

moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » April 22nd, 2015, 9:22 am

The Cubs are paying a whole lot for crappy pitching, even though he makes an out by throwing his glove.
Bright moments
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » April 22nd, 2015, 2:34 pm

A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Postby A. Kingstone » April 23rd, 2015, 5:25 am

As a Jays fan I used to see Maddon a lot with the Rays. In my mind one of the most interesting and thoughtful managers in the game.
jwaggs
Founding Member

Postby jwaggs » April 23rd, 2015, 1:16 pm

Who else thinks that the opponents of the Mets are taking a dive, and who is behind it? Bernie Madoff?
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » April 24th, 2015, 8:47 am

It struck me yesterday whilst watching the Halos that you hardly ever see beer commercials on game broadcasts any more. I would guess that Card game do mention Bud.
Bright moments
A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Postby A. Kingstone » April 24th, 2015, 8:57 am

Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » April 28th, 2015, 5:19 pm

Kirk Gibson has Parkinson's, vows to 'meet challenge'

By George Sipple, Detroit Free Press 7:17 p.m. EDT April 28, 2015

(Photo: JULIAN H. GONZALEZ DFP)

Kirk Gibson, the Tigers great and former Michigan State two-sport star, has been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease.

Gibson, in his first year back as an analyst with Fox Sports Detroit, has been absent from the FSD broadcast booth since the April 6 Opening Day telecast. He explained why in a statement released Tuesday by FSD that also noted he would not grant interviews and requested privacy.

"I have faced many different obstacles in my life, and have always maintained a strong belief that no matter the circumstances, I could overcome those obstacles," Gibson, 57, said. "While this diagnosis poses a new kind of challenge for me, I intend to stay true to my beliefs. With the support of my family and friends, I will meet this challenge with the same determination and unwavering intensity that I have displayed in all of my endeavors in life. I look forward to being back at the ballpark as soon as possible."

Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » April 28th, 2015, 6:43 pm

MLB first: Orioles, White Sox to play ‘closed to public’ game in Baltimore

Published time: April 28, 2015 22:43
Edited time: April 28, 2015 23:48

Baltimore police officers stand outsideOriole Park at Camden Yards prior to the cancellation of Monday's game between
the Chicago White Sox and Baltimore Orioles (Reuters/Evan Habeeb-USA TODAY Sports)

The Baltimore Orioles and Chicago White Sox will play an afternoon game Wednesday with no fans in attendance, the baseball team announced. It is the first time in Major League Baseball history that there will not be a crowd by design.

After canceling Monday and Tuesday’s games between the two teams due to protests and riots throughout Baltimore, MLB announced that Wednesday’s 2:05 p.m. ET game would be “closed to the public.”

"After conversations with the Orioles and local officials, we believe that these decisions are in the best interests of fan safety and the deployment of city resources," Commissioner Rob Manfred said in a statement.

"Our thoughts are with all those who have been affected by violence in Baltimore, and everyone in our game hopes for peace and the safety of a great American city."

The game will still air on television and radio, but it’s the first time an MLB game will be played in private, according to the league. With the presence of broadcasting crews, the game will have more people watching in person than the lowest attended game in MLB history.
Mr. Met
Founding Member

Postby Mr. Met » May 27th, 2015, 6:06 am

Please let me go on the record.

The Mets are simply the greatest team ever. Any decade. Any century. Any galaxy, universe and/or solar system.

They won in ten innings last night after some reliever who I never heard of gave up three runs, blowing a nine strikeout gem by my man Jacob deGrom, last year's Rookie of the Year.

The Mets won in the tenth inning, thereby establishing themselves as the greatest team ever.
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » May 28th, 2015, 9:35 am

Bright moments
Mr. Met
Founding Member

Postby Mr. Met » May 29th, 2015, 7:32 am

moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » May 29th, 2015, 2:54 pm

Realistically, put you money on the Cubs to go all the way for the first time since the Teddy Roosevelt era.
Bright moments
Mr. Met
Founding Member

Postby Mr. Met » June 1st, 2015, 6:09 am

moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » June 1st, 2015, 8:41 am

Through that old Chicago magic, the Cubs bring back Fergie Jenkins and Ernie Banks and wrap it all up.
Bright moments
A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Postby A. Kingstone » June 15th, 2015, 10:25 am

Though a Yankee hater from way back I have to acknowledge Alex Rodriguez' milestones this year. I don't care about drugs or money in sports, I find it boring and anybody who gives a tinkers toss about baseball in 50 years will know the circumstance of the era. Over 2000 RBI, moving in on 3000 hits, 666 homers and currently .299 BA for his 20 year career is impressive. It's a shame it can't be celebrated because of his dumb choices.

That said I hope he and the whole damn team slumps and fights each other on the bench and falls to the basement.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » June 15th, 2015, 3:39 pm

Alan, a part of me is ambivalent with respect to Alex, but as with you, I can't totally ignore his milestone achievements, either. What a dummy to have made those choices, tainting his record forever. Sad, really.

I'm not a Yankee "hater", but I haven't fully embraced them since the 60's.

"Baseball is 90% mental. The other half is physical." - Yogi Berra
Mr. Met
Founding Member

Postby Mr. Met » June 17th, 2015, 11:26 am

And the Mets continue to dominate the National League! They haven't been in first place this
late in the season since something like 2005!

LET'S GO METS! LET'S GO METS!
LET'S GO METS! LET'S GO METS!

I'm pretty sure the rest of the NL knows this and is going to lay down for the rest of the season as the Mets
decimate the competition for the rest of the decade.
A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Postby A. Kingstone » June 18th, 2015, 12:09 pm

A friend just visited Citi Field and said it was amazing. Unfortunately the Jays ran into some kid named Sydergaard and our 11 gamer was snapped. I wonder where that kid came from? Oh well we've got our stopper RA Dickey on the mound tonight.
A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Postby A. Kingstone » July 30th, 2015, 6:46 pm

Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » August 1st, 2015, 2:59 pm

A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Postby A. Kingstone » August 1st, 2015, 5:00 pm

No trouble Ron. I was having a little fun after a single malt.

It has been an exciting week for sure. Today's loss was tough as our pick-up relief from Seattle Mark Lowe had a tough outing.

I'm going to the game tomorrow, hopefully Dickie can right the ship.

Seattle's park is the best park I've been to. The whole place smells of garlic fries.

Return to “The Alley”