MLB — 2015

Random and varied thoughts & topics
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Re: MLB — 2015

Postby moldyfigg » August 3rd, 2015, 8:53 am

The Cubs would be in first place in the East. The Mets don;t have the division competition (Cards, Bocs) that face the Northsiders. who have to play those tough teams a lot of times
Bright moments
Mr. Met
Founding Member

Postby Mr. Met » August 4th, 2015, 5:02 am

I don't like to brag or anything, but the Mets just swept the Nationals, pounded the hell out of the
Marlins and are now in SOLE POSSESSION OF FIRST PLACE!

It's excited to be excited about being a Mets fan.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » August 12th, 2015, 12:48 pm

It's time for me to blow off a little steam. Here are two of my pet peeves.

1. Baseball fields with artificial turf instead of grass. Toronto and Tampa are the final two holdouts, though each team is working on changing from artificial turf to grass, finally providing the safe, natural playing surface these players deserve. I don't understand why Toronto is anticipating having their retractable roof mostly closed. Weren't they just in Seattle recently? ;) They hope to have natural grass in the Rogers Centre by opening day 2018.

2. Stand up, hats off, hand over heart while someone sings God Bless America where Take Me Out To The Ballgame belongs in the 7th inning. What? This isn't our national anthem for God's sake. Stupid! :? :silly:

Artificial Turf vs. Natural Grass
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
Mr. Met
Founding Member

Postby Mr. Met » August 13th, 2015, 7:09 am

I'm with you on all of that, Ron! :D
A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Postby A. Kingstone » August 13th, 2015, 8:37 am

Ron Thorne wrote:It's time for me to blow off a little steam. Here are two of my pet peeves.

1. Baseball fields with artificial turf instead of grass. Toronto and Tampa are the final two holdouts, though each team is working on changing from artificial turf to grass, finally providing the safe, natural playing surface these players deserve. I don't understand why Toronto is anticipating having their retractable roof mostly closed. Weren't they just in Seattle recently? ;) They hope to have natural grass in the Rogers Centre by opening day 2018.

2. Stand up, hats off, hand over heart while someone sings God Bless America where Take Me Out To The Ballgame belongs in the 7th inning. What? This isn't our national anthem for God's sake. Stupid! :? :silly:

Artificial Turf vs. Natural Grass

Absolutely! I rarely go to Rogers Centre as it was built to facilitate tractor pulls. Put the grass in, open the damn roof and educate the security people about the historical relaxed nature of attending a ballgame.

I'll go one further and say remove the anthem from the start of the game along with any military jingoism.

They used to play the national anthem before movies here in Canada, think how ridiculous that is in hindsight.

Oh, by the way; The Blue Jays over took the Yankees for first place in the AL East.
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » August 13th, 2015, 11:42 am

A. Kingstone wrote:I'll go one further and say remove the anthem from the start of the game along with any military jingoism.

Seconded. I haven't risen for "The Star-Spangled Banner" since I was a teenager. If I feel that the social situation requires it, I make sure to be away from my seat while "The Star-Spangled Banner" is being played.

If "America the Beautiful" or some other songs became the national anthem, I think I'd rise.
Image           Image     
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » August 18th, 2015, 6:35 pm

I just learned something about one of my favorite ballparks that makes me love it even more. The ballpark is Safeco Field in Seattle, and what I learned is that they're the 1st park in the Major Leagues to install LED lighting. Among many improvements, light pollution will be greatly decreased. Once again, Seattle leads the way

Now, one of America's finest baseball parks is even better in so many ways.

Kudos to the Seattle Mariners!

Source
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » August 19th, 2015, 9:35 am

I wish they would quit play "God Bless America" in the 7th inning. 9/11, a one time event, was 14 years ago. "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" should be the only song which should be played in the stretch inning. I wish they would lose the fucking loud rock music, too.
Bright moments
A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Postby A. Kingstone » August 19th, 2015, 7:12 pm

moldyfigg wrote:……. I wish they would lose the fucking loud rock music, too.

I made my point about military and patriotism above.
I agree there is no need for constant stimulation at the major league level. My dad and I traveled to many minor league parks and they have something between every inning such as two kids in one pair of oversized underwear race another team. These events have nothing to do with the game but are economically sound ways to get families to come to the park with the kids and spend a few bob. We saw some economically depressed towns in the West, South, Mid-West and North-East. That said there is no reason to create fake excitement at a Major League game. (Everybody clap your hands - why don't you just fuck right off).

The game is great enough on it's own at the top level, let it breathe.
A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Postby A. Kingstone » October 1st, 2015, 5:15 am

Wow! That was a long time coming.

First step : AL East (check)
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » October 1st, 2015, 12:10 pm

This should be a most interesting post-season. :D
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » October 9th, 2015, 4:34 pm

Sorry to see your Blue Jays lose in that 14-inning heartbreaker, Alan.

I'm also sorry to learn that one of my favorites, Vin Scully, will not be broadcasting during the postseason due to "a medical procedure". I love that man! Be well, Vin.

I'm watching the Cubs/Cardinals game and anxiously awaiting the Mets/Dodgers game in an hour or so.
A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Postby A. Kingstone » October 11th, 2015, 7:34 am

Ron Thorne wrote:Sorry to see your Blue Jays lose in that 14-inning heartbreaker, Alan.

I'm also sorry to learn that one of my favorites, Vin Scully, will not be broadcasting during the postseason due to "a medical procedure". I love that man! Be well, Vin.

I'm watching the Cubs/Cardinals game and anxiously awaiting the Mets/Dodgers game in an hour or so.

Thanks Ron. Hopefully we'll get them tonight.

The squeeze plays by Madden's Cubs were very exciting. Tough play at second in the Dodgers/Mets game.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » October 11th, 2015, 7:41 pm

A. Kingstone wrote:

The squeeze plays by Madden's Cubs were very exciting. Tough play at second in the Dodgers/Mets game.

You "got them" alright, Alan! Glad to see the Blue Jays rise to the occasion. Game 4 should be intense and entertaining tomorrow.

Joe Madden is one of my favorite managers, and almost a magician. Those were brilliant moves to call for back-to-back squeeze bunts!

Yes, that play at 2nd base last night (in L.A.) was ugly. It was also unnecessary, in my opinion. I have no problem with playing "hard", but I have a big problem with playing "dirty". I love the game of baseball, and played it intensely, coming very close to pursuing it for a career, but I don't appreciate gratuitous nonsense such as I saw last night. I don't know if a 2-game suspension is the right call, but something had to happen from MLB in response.
A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Postby A. Kingstone » October 11th, 2015, 7:57 pm

Ron Thorne wrote:
A. Kingstone wrote:

You "got them" alright, Alan! Glad to see the Blue Jays rise to the occasion. Game 4 should be intense and entertaining tomorrow.

Joe Madden is one of my favorite managers, and almost a magician. Those were brilliant moves to call for back-to-back squeeze bunts!

Yes, that play at 2nd base last night (in L.A.) was ugly. It was also unnecessary, in my opinion. I have no problem with playing "hard", but I have a big problem with playing "dirty". I love the game of baseball, and played it intensely, coming very close to pursuing it for a career, but I don't appreciate gratuitous nonsense such as I saw last night. I don't know if a 2-game suspension is the right call, but something had to happen from MLB in response.

It is so great to be a Toronto sports fan (Hockey/Baseball) and see a modicum of success.

Price was warming late in the game but Gibbons says he'll have game 5 should they get there. Dickey, though good for the last half always worries me.

After Torre's ruling it is clear changes are coming at second. I'd like to see the neighbourhood play eliminated, touch the bag or the runner is safe.

Ron, I'm fascinated to hear about your baseball exploits, levels, towns, whatever you are willing to share. My dad and I have been to many minor league parks during summer travels in 2001, 03, 05, 07 and 09. Sally, International, Eastern, Midwest, Northwest, Pacific Coast, Can Am, Pioneer as well as the short lived Canadian Baseball League.

I don't mean to derail the MLB thread but I'm interested to hear where and when you played.

By the way, who is your team this post-season?
Mr. Met
Founding Member

Postby Mr. Met » October 13th, 2015, 5:15 am

Anything Ron has to say is interesting, as far as I'm concerned.

Now, the Mets!!!!!

LET'S GO METS! LET'S GO METS!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » October 14th, 2015, 12:32 pm

I'm watching the game with you, Alan, and I don't like the way things started, buddy.

In the postseason, I like two teams in each league:

National - Chicago Cubs and Los Angeles Dodgers

American - Toronto Blue Jays and Houston Astros

I also follow the Seattle Mariners, and am really bummed that one of my favorite managers, Lloyd McClendon, was recently fired.

More later.
A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Postby A. Kingstone » October 14th, 2015, 5:44 pm

I've visited The Mariners' park; best I've seen, all season, weird angles, ballpark green, good food. The only thing I didn't like was the LA vibe of showing up late. Call me Eastern tight.

Jays / Rangers game 5 ALDS 7th inning the strangest we may ever see. If you can spare 50 minutes search it out on Youtube or wherever. Top and bottom.

Go Mets
Go Cubs
Especially GO JAYS!
Mr. Met
Founding Member

Postby Mr. Met » October 21st, 2015, 11:23 am

My jaw dropped as I watched the called third strike/wild pitch fiasco last night during the
Mets/Cubs game.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » October 27th, 2015, 4:01 pm

Go Mets!

Mr. Met
Founding Member

Postby Mr. Met » October 28th, 2015, 12:19 pm

You tell 'em, Ron!

The Mets have never won the first game in a World Series.

They lost the first two games at home in 1986.

So there.

THE DEGROMINATOR IS ON TONIGHT!
So shall it be written. So shall it be done.
A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Postby A. Kingstone » October 28th, 2015, 12:46 pm

I'm still here, just a bit bummed out....go Mets. Yeeeeeah
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » November 4th, 2015, 5:03 pm

I'm a bit bummed too, but the Royals came to play, and simply outplayed the Mets.

Congratulations to the Kansas City Royals!

Return to “The Alley”