Jon Stewart

Random and varied thoughts & topics
jwaggs
Founding Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Jon Stewart

Postby jwaggs » February 10th, 2015, 5:01 pm

Okay guys ... Here's where you can weep and gnash your teeth!
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Jon Stewart

Postby Ron Thorne » February 10th, 2015, 5:57 pm

Jon Stewart to leave Daily Show, Comedy Central says

Barack Obama and Jon Stewart President Obama is one of many illustrious guests Jon Stewart has welcomed

10 February 2015 Last updated at 20:34 ET

Jon Stewart, the host of Comedy Central's The Daily Show, will step down later this year, the president of the network has confirmed.

"His comedic brilliance is second to none," said Michele Ganeless in a statement.

Stewart, who began hosting the show in 1999, will remain there until later in 2015, she said.

"He is a comic genius, generous with his time and talent, and will always be a part of the Comedy Central family."

In 2013, he took time out to direct a film, Rosewater, about an Iranian-born journalist who was imprisoned and accused of spying.

His departure comes after the network lost another major comedy figure, Stephen Colbert, who left to take over David Letterman's late night show on CBS.

'Miss it like crazy'

Stewart's show has often been cited as a leading news source for young people, with an average audience of one million viewers.

His targets - and his guests - have been politicians and public figures, addressed in tones that are often indignant, or teasing.

The Daily Show has also been a launch pad for several well-known comic performers, including Steve Carell and John Oliver, as well as Colbert.

Comedy Central did not say what Stewart was planning to do next, or who would replace him.

In an interview with US broadcaster NPR in November, Stewart admitted that he had considered leaving The Daily Show.

"You can't just stay in the same place because it feels like you've built a nice house there, and that's really the thing I struggle with," he said.

"It is unclear to me... The minute I say I am not going to do it any more, I will miss it like crazy."

"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
hornplayer
Founding Member

Postby hornplayer » February 11th, 2015, 8:25 am

imho, no one will replace him. Much as no one "replaced" John Belushi.
Life's short, drink well.
Hornplayer
www.feastivals.com/blog
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » February 11th, 2015, 10:36 am

The only reliable TV news have been on BBC and The Daily Show
Bright moments
jwaggs
Founding Member

Postby jwaggs » February 11th, 2015, 1:32 pm

oh, come on... get Tina Fey on there tomorrow and no one would remember Jon Stewart by Valentine's Day
LennyH

Postby LennyH » February 11th, 2015, 5:52 pm

Can't imagine either would do it, but Tina Fey or Amy Poehler might be two of the handful that could pull it off.
A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Postby A. Kingstone » February 12th, 2015, 5:26 am

I miss Colbert and I'll miss Stewart. Best TV available.

How about Jessica Williams for host?
jwaggs
Founding Member

Postby jwaggs » February 12th, 2015, 5:39 am

A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Postby A. Kingstone » February 12th, 2015, 12:11 pm

Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » February 12th, 2015, 12:43 pm

Jessica Williams
jwaggs
Founding Member

Postby jwaggs » February 13th, 2015, 6:59 pm

ValerieB
Founding Member

Postby ValerieB » February 13th, 2015, 9:42 pm

I am "in mourning" over Stewart's departure!

but I'm in real mourning of the unnecessary death of Bob Simon!! what a tragedy. how this driver was allowed to be employed is a travesty. I assume it's going to fall on CBS.
BFrank
Founding Member

Postby BFrank » February 13th, 2015, 9:45 pm

bad week for mourning: Bob Simon, David Carr, Gary Owens (announcer and Laugh-In character) and Sam Andrews (founding member/guitarist for Big Brother)
walto
Founding Member

Postby walto » March 5th, 2015, 4:06 am

Surely not all of a sudden. Less than half of a sudden at best.
jwaggs
Founding Member

Postby jwaggs » March 5th, 2015, 9:59 am

Not a big fan of Maher at all, nor Brian Williams

I can appreciate those who appreciate people like Jon Stewart, but he -- IMHO -- has really done a disservice to journalism. He is a good comedian and commentator, but his success has led to the infusion of his brand of snark at many old-line news organizations. The Gray Lady is an exception, perhaps

So much of what I find in the "media" these days is reported with eyes rolling and winking. What used to be considered hard news -- news that affects real people in real ways -- is treated as joke. You see that in particular among younger journalists.

In my mind there is a real, definable difference between hard news and ridicule/schadenfreude, and people like Jon Stewart have blurred that distinction.

IMO, the pressures of "social media" and Comedy Central entertainers are driving people who want to do serious work away from news organizations. You have to find them now at places like the Marshall Project or Pro Publica.

In the long run, it's bad for our democracy.
pig pen
Founding Member

Postby pig pen » March 5th, 2015, 12:56 pm

If journalists can't tell the difference between journalism and comedy I'm not sure how that's Jon Stewart's fault.
"If humans used their tongues for cleaning themselves rather than talking, the world would be a much better place." - Henri, Le Chat Noir
walto
Founding Member

Postby walto » March 5th, 2015, 1:38 pm

Surely not all of a sudden. Less than half of a sudden at best.
BFrank
Founding Member

Postby BFrank » March 5th, 2015, 2:24 pm

jwaggs
Founding Member

Postby jwaggs » March 7th, 2015, 2:02 pm

I am not "blaming" Stewart. I realize now that I didn't make that clear in the above posts. I am saying that his influence is so great that it has warped the attitudes of "real" journalists.

The biggest influences today on journalism are the TV satirists and BuzzFeed and Twitter.

You saw that with Brian Williams, especially... he aspired to be the next Jay Leno, not the next Edward R. Murrow. He applied for Leno's job. That's what he wanted to do.
pig pen
Founding Member

Postby pig pen » March 8th, 2015, 8:00 am

Yeah, I should've guessed as much. On the other hand, I'm not so sure that the Daily Show is really the genesis of that problem. Network News was becoming overly concerned with ratings long before Jon Stewart went on the air. Mainstream journalism is really a joke.
"If humans used their tongues for cleaning themselves rather than talking, the world would be a much better place." - Henri, Le Chat Noir
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » March 30th, 2015, 1:08 pm

Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » March 30th, 2015, 3:41 pm

Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » August 6th, 2015, 6:25 pm

Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » August 7th, 2015, 6:22 pm

Last night's final show was quite amazing! John's moment of zen was perfect.

You can see , as well as full episodes of 17 other recent shows on Comedy Central's website.
jtx
Commodore

Postby jtx » August 8th, 2015, 2:17 pm

I was happy to see him and Wyatt Cenac reunite and apparently put behind them. And all of the other correspondents who came back made for a great final tribute to the show as it was for the past 16 years. With so many changes in the late night landscape in recent times, I am hoping that from all of this at least The Late Show with Stephen Colbert will be worth watching.

Return to “The Alley”