Retirement

Random and varied thoughts & topics
jwaggs
Founding Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Retirement

Postby jwaggs » February 3rd, 2015, 6:36 pm

I think the IRS says that SEP-IRAs are also for self employed.

http://www.irs.gov/Retirement-Plans/Ret ... yed-People
BFrank
Founding Member

Postby BFrank » February 3rd, 2015, 8:10 pm

jwaggs
Founding Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby jwaggs » February 4th, 2015, 6:15 am

I believe you can contribute pre-tax quite a bit more with a SEP-IRA. When I was freelancing, I thought about setting one up, but I couldn't even hit the $5,000 or so minimum under the plain vanilla IRA when I was freelancing. I might have not even EARNED that much a year.
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » February 4th, 2015, 10:30 am

Yesterday I decided to post about 401k and yakked about IRAs.

A 401(k) program is a profit sharing plan that allows participant contributions. The employer contribution to Profit Sharing is limited to 15% deductible. The employer may chose to match participant contributions but is still limited to 15% Most 401ks usually have an employer contribution of much less, maybe up to 6% which is usually subjected the plan vesting schedule. I believe the amount of participant contribution has a dollar limit, but I don't know what it is now.

The old Defined Benefit programs have pretty much disappeared because of the mandatory employer funding requirements. 401k really has no mandatory employer contribution beside the cost of administering the plan. Most plans today have a menu of various mutual funds available to the participant. Some have the fund managed by third party investment companies.

If someone can set aside 6% from age 40, and conservatively invests it, there will be sufficient funds available at retirement.
Bright moments
BFrank
Founding Member

Postby BFrank » February 4th, 2015, 10:46 am

Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » February 4th, 2015, 11:20 am

It always amazed me how many of my fellow employees did not take advantage of the 401(k) benefit and free money that comes with it. And the people that raided their 401(k) multiple times and paid the exorbitant penalties for no good reason. Crazy.
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ― Frank Sinatra
BFrank
Founding Member

Postby BFrank » February 4th, 2015, 2:09 pm

moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » February 4th, 2015, 2:21 pm

We administered dozens of 401ks and would do our best to dissuade participants from taking early distributions. They would still do it.
Bright moments
stonemonkts
Founding Member

Postby stonemonkts » February 5th, 2015, 6:25 am

jwaggs
Founding Member

Postby jwaggs » February 5th, 2015, 11:47 am

jwaggs
Founding Member

Postby jwaggs » February 7th, 2015, 6:39 am

At 62, I am still trying to save. I am saving probably close to 25-30% of my income (it varies from month to month, so I don't know a definite figure). Does it make sense to throttle back on that at some point? My thought is that I should save as much as possible to leave my kids, but I don't want to needlessly deprive myself of a few luxuries. I know. It's up to me. But I was wondering if anyone else pondered questions like this.
BFrank
Founding Member

Postby BFrank » February 7th, 2015, 11:09 am

LennyH

Postby LennyH » February 7th, 2015, 11:34 am

Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » February 7th, 2015, 11:46 am

I agree with you, Lenny. I was always told the closer one gets to retirement the more conservative one's portfolio should be. Being retired, my investments are 100% stable. However, it's been that way for the last 15 years or so of my working life. Because I was so "gun shy" my interest gains were minimal during that period. Oh well, too late now. I'm not complaining, though. I did ok.
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ― Frank Sinatra
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » February 7th, 2015, 12:09 pm

Jeff, here's my take on saving in order to leave something to my kids; I don't believe in it. It's hard enough in this day and age to work for 50 plus years and hopefully end up with a financially worry-free retirement. The way I look at it, my parents didn't leave any of their kids jack shit. Of course that was mainly because all resources were used to raise seven of us children. What they did was to teach us how to do for ourselves and work for everything we got. My old man always said, "Don't ever expect that anybody is going to hand you something. If you want something you have to go out and work for it". Me and everyone of my brothers and sisters did well in life. We want for nothing. We are self sufficient and feel fortunate that our parents did not "catch fish for us". Instead they "taught us how to fish". That lesson was invaluable, imo.

My kids already know that if I have my way, by the time I kick the bucket, all my money will have been spent on enjoying my well deserved retirement. And...the check that I leave behind to pay for my cremation will be the only check I ever wrote that will bounce like a rubber ball.

If by chance some money is left after my demise, they will split it 50/50.
jwaggs
Founding Member

Postby jwaggs » February 7th, 2015, 1:21 pm

Jimmy -- that's pretty much the way my wife feels, too.

My oldest daughter is a nurse practitioner, my middle daughter, only 26, has saved around $40k for her retirement ALREADY. And my youngest is going back to school to get her BSN to become a nurse. All three should do okay, so I know I shouldn't worry too much about them. The oldest is making more at 30 than my wife is now, after 18 years as a public school teacher.
LennyH

Postby LennyH » February 7th, 2015, 3:08 pm

I agree with you guys. I will not intentionally leave my kids anything. I sent my daughter through school, and, unlike many of her friends, she'll graduate from college debt-free. That's a huge thing. We'll also pay for what I'm sure will be a ridiculous wedding. We'll end up leaving them the house we live in and whatever else is left when we kick the bucket, but that will be all be accidental.

Or we could really screw them and do a reverse mortgage ;).
stonemonkts
Founding Member

Postby stonemonkts » February 8th, 2015, 9:43 am

moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » February 9th, 2015, 11:01 am

There a lot of excellent local charities that can use the bread.
Bright moments
jwaggs
Founding Member

Postby jwaggs » February 14th, 2015, 9:03 pm

Got a package in the mail from my son-in-law, who is a professional carpenter. He sent us drawings on how he would build an "in-law" apartment for us in our house.

The house we live in has been in my wife's family for 150 years. For that whole time, it's been multigenerational.

My wife grew up with her parents and her grandmother. We raised our kids here with her parents. Her dad died a year ago this month, so it's just been us in the house for the past year.

There are separate kitchens and separate living areas in a 2400sq.ft. house. We have 56 acres.

My oldest daughter, son-in-law and grandson plan on moving here in about 12-18 months. If all goes according to plan, we'll have a "new" 620sf first-floor apartment to live in. My daughter and her family will have half of the first floor and the entire second floor. They plan on having another kid, so they'll be four of them, and two of us. At one point, there was seven in the house -- grandparents, us and our three kids, so I don't think six will be overwhelming. Plus, it will be redesigned in a way we'll have a lot more privacy this time around.

By the time they move in, my wife will be retired from her school teaching job and we will both be working part-time out of the house. I have a 10-hour-a-week gig that I can do on my laptop. My wife will teach violin.

This should help us all of us out a lot. They'll have full-time, built-in child care. We'll have someone who can maintain the house and all of our out buildings (barns, chicken coops, sheds, etc., all of which are in serious need of attention.)

Anyway, we are pretty excited.
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » February 15th, 2015, 6:25 am

Sounds like a plan!
Jazzooo
Founding Member

Postby Jazzooo » February 15th, 2015, 7:18 am

I'm probably better off than most, but not where I'd like to be. At one point, Glenda and I had amassed enough to retire (according to our investment counselor) 'if we played our cards right.' We did, over 10 years ago and I have loved almost every minute of it.

But playing our cards right didn't include some of the things we did in the interest of enjoying...or dealing with...life. We moved to Mexico and bought a house (for cash--no other way to do it). We eventually bought 5 acres down here and built a house and recording studio; we had to deal with breast cancer and though most of the medical costs were eventually reimbursed, we spent over 100K in peripheral costs (car rentals, hotels, house rentals for 9 months in the states during treatment, travel, etc). A couple of years later, we separated and divided all of our assets in two, as evenly as we could. Most of our money was either in our IRAs or in our properties. I gave her the dream house, I got 66% of the first house which we rented out for a few years and shared the income, all while I was spending a small fortune getting set up in my new life and be happy again.

So now, I am one of those idiots who has to take occasional distributions from his IRA because he doesn't have enough income from gigging in Mexico to survive. I'm not 59.5 yet, so I pay the penalty every time.

The good news is:

I don't have kids or anyone counting on me leaving them money when I die;
My life partner Denise has two daughters but there is some wealth and great love on both sides of their families so helping them out if need be will never fall just on my shoulders;
I still have about $300K in my IRAs, and I own (and live in) our first Mexican house which is worth about $300K now (Glenda left me her 33% when she passed in January). I can pull in about $800-$1000 a month via gigging if I want to.
In a couple of years, I will take early SS which will cover at least half of my monthly nut of living expenses.

The bad news is that I have an expensive passion of making albums using amazing musicians, and even though I'm skilled produce and home recording engineer, these types of projects cost a ton--I have a new project in the formulative stages that will probably cost $10K to pull off. Time for crowdfunding, perhaps.

On a day to day basis, I'm fine. But if I live another 25 years, I could be fucked.
jwaggs
Founding Member

Postby jwaggs » February 21st, 2015, 5:32 pm

Doug,

Sounds like you must be close to 59.5
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » February 23rd, 2015, 10:07 am

We have a very diversified portfolio - mutual funds, REITs, no individual real estate except our house, with a tiny mortgage, in a market were prices are credulously high.

All mutual funds make statement that they can do things better than the other guys. All cats are black in the dark.

Our best MF has been the Mass Mutual Utilities which has averaged about 9% for the last 20 years.

I doubt if we will outlive our assets. There are a couple of local charities which will greatly benefit.

BTW a SEP-IRA is funded with after tax money. Withdrawals are not taxed.
Bright moments
jwaggs
Founding Member

Postby jwaggs » March 1st, 2015, 9:35 am

To the baby boomer generation, "retirement"; usually means finding a different job.
http://for.tn/1vig3fr

Return to “The Alley”