What TV Shows Are You Watching?

Random and varied thoughts & topics
sozamora
Founding Member

Re: What TV shows are you watching?

Postby sozamora » August 20th, 2013, 9:06 am

I haven't watched the Spacey House of Cards, but I've been meaning to watch the original which is also on Netflix. I saw the first episode, but was distracted so didn't get into it. I may try again.
walto
Founding Member

Postby walto » August 20th, 2013, 2:54 pm

Yeah, just seeing the first season.
Surely not all of a sudden. Less than half of a sudden at best.
mjb
Founding Member

Postby mjb » August 22nd, 2013, 2:43 pm

sozamora wrote:I haven't watched the Spacey House of Cards, but I've been meaning to watch the original which is also on Netflix. I saw the first episode, but was distracted so didn't get into it. I may try again.

I haven't watched it in a while but it was/is monstrously good. Ian Richardson is a marvel. Even darker and funnier.

I thought the Spacey version got rather soapy for a while but seemed to level out toward the end. It seemed to suffer somewhat when he wasn't onscreen. Still very worthwhile though.
gonzo
Founding Member

Postby gonzo » August 24th, 2013, 11:10 pm

its all about the bridge.
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » August 26th, 2013, 1:48 pm

I know, right!? For a supposedly smart cop he's a dope! Although sometimes it's hard to admit to oneself the reality of a situation when it involves family. Been there, done that. Walt has morphed into a truly sinister character!

Anybody checking out the Newsroom? Last night's episode was solidly entertaining throughout and than they brought in Fonda for the closing scene and the knockout!! Great work!

And Ray Donovan's only got 3 more to go before the season ends. I am REALLY gonna miss this one. It's been consistently good from episode 1 and only getting better. So many great performances, especially from Schieber and Voight. And NOW James Woods is working his special mojo into the mix, too good!
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » August 26th, 2013, 2:43 pm

Scott Dolan wrote:But, was I the only one who thought Hank knew well before this?

No. I've heard others express exasperation at Hank before, but I just can't buy this. I just don't think it would be reasonable to come to that conclusion before the solid evidence. Beyond reason, there's also a matter of his image of Walter and his own self-image that got in the way.
LennyH

Postby LennyH » September 1st, 2013, 6:22 am

Watched the first couple episodes of The Bridge last night. I think it was walto that brought up earlier how good some foreign actors are at doing American accents. If you want to see the other side of the coin, check out Diane Kruger in this. So far, they haven't said that her character wasn't born in America. I think that would have been a good idea because her accent sucks and I think she pretty much just sucks all around.

walto, she'll have you begging for the chick from orange is the new black ;).
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » September 1st, 2013, 8:59 am

Not sure if it's her accent so much as her delivery. It's never been said on the show but I've read that her character has Asperger's Syndrome, which makes her 'quirky'. I think she great and her and Ruiz (this actor's doing especially well, he's a long-time Spanish telenovela star) are one of the most unique cop team-ups ever depicted on TV.
Gentle Giant
Founding Member

Postby Gentle Giant » September 1st, 2013, 10:20 am

It's actually been years since I had a TV show I watched regularly. Not that TV is beneath me, but I've just been busier with other things. But even though I'm fearful it will be dumb, I'm inclined to check out Brooklyn Nine-Nine with Andy Samberg and one of my very favorite actors, Andre Braugher - just because it's Braugher.
LennyH

Postby LennyH » September 1st, 2013, 4:20 pm

Chazro wrote:Not sure if it's her accent so much as her delivery. It's never been said on the show but I've read that her character has Asperger's Syndrome, which makes her 'quirky'. I think she great and her and Ruiz (this actor's doing especially well, he's a long-time Spanish telenovela star) are one of the most unique cop team-ups ever depicted on TV.

I think the man was in Weeds, yeah? Pretty sure. I haven't checked yet.

I'm hoping things will keep developing. I don't love the show so far but like it enough to keep watching.

Time for an episode of Trailer Park Boys then I'll move on to another episode of The Bridge.
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » September 1st, 2013, 9:47 pm

LennyH wrote:I think the man was in Weeds, yeah?

I haven't seen it, but he is. He was also nominated for an Academy Award, for whatever that's worth.
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » September 4th, 2013, 3:59 pm

I've been watching Sons of Anarchy on Netflix, which only has seasons 1 through 4.

I enjoyed it. I mean, it's no Breaking Bad or anything, but for the most part it works as a violent, fast paced, male fantasy sort of thing. Some very good performances from Ron Perlman and Katy Sagal, among others.

But that season 4 finale was just plain awful. It's a shame, because for the most part s4 raised the dramatic bar, and I expected big things to happen. Unfortunately, among other narrative sins, Sutter opted to press the reset button by way of a poorly contrived deus ex machina. Oh well. I'll watch s5 when it's available on Netflix, but I'll lower my expectations.

That's one of the great things about setting an end date for a series. You can let the story flow as it may without needing to invent increasingly crazy reasons for keeping the status quo.
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » September 4th, 2013, 4:06 pm

Dodgers
Bright moments
mjb
Founding Member

Postby mjb » September 7th, 2013, 7:06 pm

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip on DVD (obviously)

I'm enjoying it very much but I keep thinking "man, BlackBerries have got way better looking."

As it is an Aaron Sorkin show the writing is first rate. The chemistry in the players is great to watch.
gonzo
Founding Member

Postby gonzo » September 8th, 2013, 6:18 pm

these last few episodes of dexter
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » September 8th, 2013, 10:17 pm

-As it is an Aaron Sorkin show the writing is first rate.-

Have you seen The Newsroom? Next week's the season finale. I'm a Sorkin fan also and this rates right up there with his best West Wing stuff!
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » September 11th, 2013, 12:22 pm

mjb wrote:Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip on DVD (obviously)

It started out really strong, but it got really sloppy by the end. I think the last few episodes were re-edited to resemble a series finale. But it definitely had potential.

One of the things that bugged about it were the show-within-the-show comedy sketches. They were painful to watch
mjb
Founding Member

Postby mjb » September 11th, 2013, 1:43 pm

Indeed, I have a memory of enjoying it at first and then losing interest.

I'm about 6 episodes in and the Matthew Perry / Sarah Pauslon relationship is starting to grate. I'm guessing Aaron Sorkin has relationship issues as that pairing seems to echo that of Jeff Daniels / Emily Mortimer in The Newsroom.

Season 1 of The Newsroom left me enervated even though I found myself agreeing with every sentiment.
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » September 11th, 2013, 4:05 pm

mjb wrote:Season 1 of The Newsroom left me enervated even though I found myself agreeing with every sentiment.

I still watch it, but I'm not totally into it. Daniels, Mortimer are fine and Waterston is always a pleasure, but Sorkin's dialogue requires a certain level of commitment that most of the young actors on the show don't have yet. Most of the time, they sound like a parody of a Sorkin show.
mjb
Founding Member

Postby mjb » September 12th, 2013, 11:08 am

sozamora wrote:
mjb wrote:Season 1 of The Newsroom left me enervated even though I found myself agreeing with every sentiment.

I still watch it, but I'm not totally into it. Daniels, Mortimer are fine and Waterston is always a pleasure, but Sorkin's dialogue requires a certain level of commitment that most of the young actors on the show don't have yet. Most of the time, they sound like a parody of a Sorkin show.

Yes. I agree.
erwbol
Founding Member

Postby erwbol » September 16th, 2013, 4:36 am

Scott, have you caught up with Breaking Bad yet? Soon you won't be able to keep from being spoiled.
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » September 16th, 2013, 2:31 pm

Breaking Bad was a jaw-dropper last night. Perfect example of 'leave 'em wanting more'. Unlike another series nearing it's end; Dexter, which feels like it's limping (crawling) to the finish line.
A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Postby A. Kingstone » September 17th, 2013, 3:41 am

Now to be revealed.

Walter. Final Scene - First Episode - Final Eight.

“If you don’t know who I am, then maybe your best course would be to tread lightly.”

Scott. jazztalk - Politics Forum - Original Warning.

'Tread Lightly My Friends'

Draw your own conclusions.
Gentle Giant
Founding Member

Postby Gentle Giant » September 18th, 2013, 11:01 am

I watched the pilot of Brooklyn Nine Nine last night because I love Andre Braugher. It was just as bad as I feared it would be. He deserves much better than to be paired with Andy Samberg.
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » September 18th, 2013, 2:14 pm

Gentle Giant wrote:I watched the pilot of Brooklyn Nine Nine last night because I love Andre Braugher. It was just as bad as I feared it would be. He deserves much better than to be paired with Andy Samberg.

Yeah, I very rarely watch sitcom's (and I'm sure I've missed some good stuff...) but got drawn in by the hype. It was painful to watch, I'm curious to see how long it'll last.

Return to “The Alley”