What TV Shows Are You Watching?

Random and varied thoughts & topics
walto
Founding Member

Re: What TV shows are you watching?

Postby walto » October 1st, 2013, 3:18 am

My 14-year old has been watching Parks and Recreation in marathon manner. The show really disturbs me. It's sooo freaking derivative. First, and most obviously it's just a remake of "The Office" with Pohler playing Michael Scott. Second, one of the characters is a Dabney Coleman clone. It's very annoying to me that a copycat show like that should not only get popular (that's not surprising, I guess), but should get so many plaudits.
Surely not all of a sudden. Less than half of a sudden at best.
A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Postby A. Kingstone » October 1st, 2013, 5:05 am

LennyH wrote:
A. Kingstone wrote:Entirely satisfying finale.

The writers of Dexter can only look and weep.

It is really fucking hard to end a series well. Especially one like this. The anticipation was through the roof and it still managed to be satisfying.

Agreed. Yet the writers seemed to make the most logical choices for each closure. I found the cinematography (directing?) fantastic. Lines down the center of the screen, multiple shots through frames. My favorite line was, "no, they'll be coming for me".
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » October 1st, 2013, 3:28 pm

walto wrote:My 14-year old has been watching Parks and Recreation in marathon manner. The show really disturbs me. It's sooo freaking derivative. First, and most obviously it's just a remake of "The Office" with Pohler playing Michael Scott.

I suspect you've only seen the first season, which is very strongly modeled after The Office. It's not surprising, since it was co-created by the creator and one of the writers of The Office (US). At one point, they considered making it a direct spinoff. Subsequent seasons keep some of the stylistic elements - it's a single-cam workplace comedy - but the tone changes drastically. Actually, it starts changing in the s1 back nine. The character development for Amy Poehler's character is especially different from the first season, and nothing at all like Michael Scott by the time Adam Scott and Rob Lowe are added to the cast.

Whereas s1 Leslie is kind of a Michael Scott clone, s2 and beyond Leslie is a much more likeable (and liked), competent, driven, and stable person with none of Michael's cringeworthiness.

P&R also makes much better use of its ensemble, spreading the comedic and story wealth among all the characters.

Stylistically, one thing that is different from The Office is that while that show used the pretense of a documentary to break the fourth wall, P&R just breaks it because it's an expedient way to convey information.

walto wrote:Second, one of the characters is a Dabney Coleman clone. It's very annoying to me that a copycat show like that should not only get popular (that's not surprising, I guess), but should get so many plaudits.

I suspect you mean Ron Swanson. I'm not sure what Coleman character you're referring to, but I don't see the connection at all. Ron is a pretty unique character, as far as I'm concerned.

Fwiw, P&R is far from popular when compared to its timeslot rivals, such as the truly derivative and predictable Big Bang Theory. It may be popular in certain circles, but it sure doesn't reflect that in the ratings.

As you may have guessed, I really dig this show. It's one of my favorite recent network sitcoms*. I know a lot folks find the concept of a favorite sitcom laughable (and then there's the old-timey "nothing is as good as it used to be" crowd), but that's what I like.

*for context, other faves: Community, 30 Rock, early seasons of The Office, and Happy Endings.
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » October 1st, 2013, 3:45 pm

Scott Dolan wrote:Gilligan really fucked with our heads concerning our feelings about Walter to the very end.

I always thought he did the horizontal mambo with Mary Ann.
Bright moments
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » October 1st, 2013, 4:12 pm

Scott Dolan wrote:BTW, totally satisfied with how Breaking Bad ended.

Gilligan really fucked with our heads concerning our feelings about Walter to the very end.

Ambivilence...

Brilliant stuff.

Agreed. Some folks were expecting a more EPIC ending, but I think Gilligan got it just right. For all his moral and physical deterioration, Walt is 'at peace' with himself and his fate in this episode. It's the first time we see him acting confidently as Walt, not Heisenberg. The tone of the episode captures that mood perfectly.
LennyH

Postby LennyH » October 2nd, 2013, 8:13 am

Scott Dolan wrote:The "I did it for me" line was genius.

Loved how he was sort of hiding in that scene. I read the New Yorker piece from a few weeks ago and Gilligan said that they didn't start writing towards Walt's "I did it for me" attitude until they saw that come out in Cranston's acting.

Also loved the song selection at the end of both halves of the 5th season. Keeping in touch with the theme and all.
mjb
Founding Member

Postby mjb » October 5th, 2013, 5:05 am

*WARNING: SPOILER ALERT*

So how did Breaking Bad end?

http://nyr.kr/17iWkgZ
jaka
Founding Member

Postby jaka » October 5th, 2013, 9:20 am

Not that a bad TV week.
Season 3 of Borgen just started here, as well as Season 4 of Downton Abbey.
Still enjoying both very much.
john williams
Founding Member

Postby john williams » October 8th, 2013, 2:31 pm

Season 3 of The Walking Dead.

And this:

moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » October 9th, 2013, 10:29 am

The era of glamorizing criminals has run its course. Enough, already.
Bright moments
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » October 9th, 2013, 1:24 pm

Tonight's the premiere of Season 3 'American Horror Story'. They've really amped up the star power this year. Jessica Lange returns with a few of the other awesome 'regulars' who've been there since season 1. Add to the mix Angela Bassett, Kathy Bates, Gabourey Sadibe (Precious, The Big C), and Danny Huston. For those unfamiliar with the series, although a core group of actors, led by Lange, has been there from the beginning, each season is a totally different scenario with the same actors playing different characters. Last year was deliciously creepy, although it tried to do too much at times. This season I've read they're gonna tone it down a tad, it's gonna me about witches in New Orleans! Bewitched 2014!;) Lange plays the queen witch and Bassett's doing Marie LaVeau, the voodoo queen of New Orleans, who some folks in Nawlins still think walks the streets! Gonna be ton's a fun!

Anyone watching 'Sons Of Anarchy'? Another series winding up it's run (next season's the last) that's firing on all cylinders! On top of being so good, I always enjoy seeing alumni from my dearly departed 'Deadwood' at work (3 actors currently).
walto
Founding Member

Postby walto » October 9th, 2013, 1:33 pm

I watched a couple of episodes of the first season of "American Horror Story" with my older daughter who was kind of into it for awhile. The only thing I liked were the opening credits (with that creepy basement "lab"). The writing seemed really terrible to me.
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » October 9th, 2013, 1:52 pm

moldyfigg wrote:The era of glamorizing criminals has run its course. Enough, already.

Not quite sure what you're referring to Moldy but I'lltellyawhat, this 'era' ain't going nowhere. Loving the bad guys has been around since Jimmy Cagney, Humphrey Bogart, & Edward G. Robinson were doing black & whites all the way to The Godfather. But the true groundbreaker, of course, was 'The Sopranos', historically recognized as a pivotal turning point for television. If you don't care for this type of story-telling you simply don't have to watch it. But it's not going nowhere!;)
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » October 9th, 2013, 1:55 pm

walto wrote:I watched a couple of episodes of the first season of "American Horror Story" with my older daughter who was kind of into it for awhile. The only thing I liked were the opening credits (with that creepy basement "lab"). The writing seemed really terrible to me.

I didn't care for the 1st season as much as the 2nd, which was truly demented! Hard to believe this show comes from the same guy responsible for 'Glee' (a show I've never seen!).
stonemonkts
Founding Member

Postby stonemonkts » October 12th, 2013, 6:02 am

American Horror Story is really more like a funhouse at an amusement park, with Jessica Lange as the hook. I enjoy it because it is demented, and it makes me laugh. But I wouldn't call it "horror", it is way too tongue in cheek for that.

Other shows in the TIVO queue are Homeland, Boardwalk Empire, Sons of Anarchy, Elementary, and Eastbound and Down.

The new one with Spader is awful. Blacklist. It is supposedly a hit. Derivative crap.

I love Derek.

Also looking forward to Walking Dead.

Oh yeah, and almost forgot Borgen, which is right up there among my favorites.
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » October 12th, 2013, 6:10 am

SPOILER ALERT:

Yesterday's Today Show ended with Hoda and Kathy Lee making lame jokes about fashion and weight!
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » October 12th, 2013, 12:32 pm

Scott Dolan wrote:Seeing commercials for network television shows during the football games always has me wondering how anyone can stomach the dreck they continually churn out.

Agreed! It's striking to me how formulaic and boring the programming on the Big 4 is. Obviously shooting for the lowest common denominator in viewership, what does this say about the mentality of the average American viewer!?

Also agree on 'Blacklist'. After watching the 1st 3 episodes I won't be watching again. The only reason I hung as long as I did was James Spader, so much fun to watch him, what a waste of his talents. So many of these shows are drawing heavyweight actors ($) but unfortunately the writing fails 99% of the time. Jeez, did anyone catch the show with James Caan? Yeeesh!
walto
Founding Member

Postby walto » October 13th, 2013, 6:07 pm

I couldn't get through the pilot of "Parenthood" today.
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » October 14th, 2013, 11:39 am

walto wrote:I couldn't get through the pilot of "Parenthood" today.

Donna kinda likes it, but to me, it is just another hour-long soap which they never do as well as the Brits.
Bright moments
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » October 16th, 2013, 10:40 am

walto wrote:I couldn't get through the pilot of "Parenthood" today.

I recently saw a bit of this show for the first time. It reminded me of Thirtysomething (and by extension The Big Chill, I suppose) in its chattiness. These folks love to talk. I wasn't crazy about it, but I'm a big fan Lauren Graham, so I'll probably give it a few tries.
LennyH

Postby LennyH » October 16th, 2013, 1:13 pm

sozamora wrote:I'm a big fan Lauren Graham, so...

"Fuck me, Santa! Fuck me, Santa!"
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » October 16th, 2013, 2:11 pm

LennyH wrote:
sozamora wrote:I'm a big fan Lauren Graham, so...

"Fuck me, Santa! Fuck me, Santa!"

I've actually never seen that movie, but now I kinda want to.
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » November 6th, 2013, 12:32 pm

Eastbound and Down season 4 on HBO. Holy shit! I thought S3 was good, but the writing is on a whole other level of good this season.

It's definitely not for everyone, it's certainly lowbrow humor, but I advise folks to not automatically dismiss it without giving it a chance.
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » November 6th, 2013, 12:35 pm

Also, since the last time I talked about Parenthood, I've watched a few more episodes and I'm really liking it. Yeah, it is what it is, but I'm enjoying it and I haven't enjoyed a network drama in ages.
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » December 21st, 2013, 2:41 pm

Orphan Black

Any you guys seen this? Manoman, just went thru the 10 episode season this past week on demand. Outstanding! Another superior show from BBCAmerica. Great Story-telling, very addictive but the story behind this is the amazing lead actress, the relatively unknown rookie Tatiana Maslany, who's smashing it outta the park! She plays multiple characters and does a stunning job. 1st year and she's been nominated for a Golden Globe for best actress in a drama, this kid has gigantor chops! No question that she'll be one of the actors to watch as her career progresses. Very highly recommended!

Return to “The Alley”