Beer — "all things malty and frothy"

Random and varied thoughts & topics
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Re: Beer — "all things malty and frothy"

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » July 20th, 2014, 1:43 pm

Actually, I've been able to view most if not all of your posted images in the past. This particular post, no. I'm pretty sure it's a fault on my end. Sometimes when I can't see an image it eventually reveals itself in a matter of hours or even days. Go figure.
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ― Frank Sinatra
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » July 20th, 2014, 2:15 pm

Sometimes, refreshing your page will also remedy things. Or not. ;)
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » July 20th, 2014, 4:25 pm

Still no image, however, in the meantime I managed to down two brews after my Sunday afternoon motorcycle ride.

First up was a Long Trail Ale from Vermont. It's described as an amber ale modeled after the "albiers" of Dusseldorf, Germany. After that I had a Harpoon Black IPA, another Vermont offering. I toured their brewery in Windsor, Vermont not that long ago. According to the bottle's label their Black IPA is "A detour into darkness". Young people making good beer. That's the way I would describe their brewery. And...they have a great sense of humor. Solid artisanship as well.

“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ― Frank Sinatra
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » August 10th, 2014, 6:34 pm

Today I quaffed a Samuel Adams Rebel IPA. Marketed as a "west coast style IPA". It comes in at a respectable 6.5% ABV.

steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » August 11th, 2014, 5:20 am

We were in Saratoga Springs Saturday night at a new place, Druthers, which reportedly had an impressive beer selection. While enjoying a brown ale, I studied the beer menu and commented to Jan how exotic it was, because I didn't recognize any of the names of the beers. Not one familiar brewery.

Despite the fact that the sign was right under a wall of gigantic tanks for making beer, it took quite a while for me to realize that the reason I didn't recognize the brews was because it was a brew pub that made and named their own beers. D'oh.
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » August 11th, 2014, 6:21 am

Saratoga Springs...the birthplace of the potato chip!
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » August 11th, 2014, 5:11 pm

Alaskan Brewery Summer Ale (left); Salmon pastrami by Scott Romano (right) photos by Matthew Shelley
pig pen
Founding Member

Postby pig pen » October 15th, 2014, 3:56 pm

I'm away on professional development, so after a day of discussing deemed dividends, corporate attribution and other fun anti-avoidance rules I thought I would enjoy a beer from each of the Maritime provinces to cleanse the brain:

I can feel sanity returning as I sip...

Now, let's see if it will carry over to tomorrow's insolvency and restructuring session...
"If humans used their tongues for cleaning themselves rather than talking, the world would be a much better place." - Henri, Le Chat Noir
rlfun

Postby rlfun » October 20th, 2014, 4:26 pm

Colorado now has over 215 craft and micro breweries. Award winning Ska Brewing in Durango has been around since the early days, boasting, "It takes characters to brew beer with character."

True Blond is a fave - ABV 5%, as well as the Ten Pin ABV 8%. Wide distribution.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » October 20th, 2014, 6:33 pm

Both of those brews look interesting to me, rlfun. I love Ska's line: "It takes characters to brew beer with character."

I enjoyed one of these the other night, a 22oz. bottle from Midnight Sun Brewing in Anchorage.

Trickster Pumpkin Ale

ABV: 7.0%
IBU: 22

OK, what do you get when we toss pale malted barley, pumpkin and spices into a stainless steel cauldron then stir in some magic? Uh, Trickster! The “magic” is actually mischievous Belgian yeast at play with allspice, ginger and black pepper. This spooky cool brew will make your glass glow bright despite the gloominess of the season. - Midnight Sun Brewing

Still in our refrigerator is the sidekick to Trickster ... T.R.E.A.T. Imperial Chocolate Pumpkin Porter. Can't wait but don't want to rush it. I'll open that bad boy on just the right occasion.

T.R.E.A.T. Imperial Chocolate Pumpkin Porter

ABV: 7.8%
IBU: 30

Intriguing doses of sweet spices, cocoa nibs and pumpkin transform an exceptional porter into a mesmerizing potion. Pour this tantalizing brew into a snifter and experience its many eccentric nuances, which will delight your taste buds.

This is the same award-winning recipe that garnered a GOLD MEDAL at GABF in 2007. Formerly known simply as Imperial Chocolate Pumpkin Porter, we’ve named it T.R.E.A.T.: The Royal Eccentric Ale Treatment. - Midnight Sun Brewing
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » October 27th, 2014, 4:17 pm

You are what you drink? Maybe you drink what you are?
.... In either case I am enjoying Dirty Bastard Scotch Ale big time. I'm not experienced in Scotch Ales, but I'm guessing that it tastes like a delicious Scotch Ale should. And with 8 1/2 ABV it packs a punch, taste wise.
.... .....The mouthfeel is as sensuous and enjoyable as I've ever had in a brew. It might the combination of the mouthfeel and fact that I'm really noticing the sweetness on the roof of my mouth. I don't remember anything having that much taste THERE.
.......... I'm enjoying this so much that it's getting me excited, I feel like a Dirty Bastard......... I guess you are what you drink.

Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » October 27th, 2014, 5:12 pm

Nice to see you posting, Steve.

I really dig Scotch Ales if they're not too sweet. Some can almost be cloying and dessert-like, but when they're right, they're incredibly tasty.

Sadly, the beer pictured below is no longer in production here. Midnight Sun Brewing in Anchorage brewed it and it was fine, but not quite popular enough, I guess.

Full Curl Wee Heavy
Scotch Style Ale
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » October 27th, 2014, 5:21 pm

Here's a favorite from Midnight Sun Brewing in Anchorage, a Belgian-Style Tripel called Panty Peeler. It's yummy and potent (ABV - 8.5%)!

BeBop
Founding Member

Re: The Beer Thread

Postby BeBop » October 28th, 2014, 11:26 am

BeBop wrote:I love beer. Or the memory of beer, anyway. (Before the vegetarian thing put an end to that.)

I brewed back in the 70s. It felt like real craftsmanship. Smelled like it too. Even to this day, I'll "tour" microbreweries, if they're willing to chat about the art. Yeah, I miss it.

I just ended a two-week stint in Belgium. Abundant temptations. :(
...not to mention the chocolate and waffles. :cry:
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » October 28th, 2014, 9:34 pm

BeBop, if you choose, you should be able to drink certain beers without compromising your vegetarian discipline. For instance ...

Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout
BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » October 29th, 2014, 7:27 am

Indeed, lots of vegetarian beers out there: http://www.barnivore.com/beer/s-t

The trick is walking into a monastery/brewery, speaking no Flemish and figuring it all out.
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » October 29th, 2014, 8:48 am

I've been speaking very phlegmish recently.
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » November 1st, 2014, 5:51 am

Picked up a sixer of Abita Octoberfest Marzen-Style Lager. Abita, in case you don't know, is a brewery in Louisiana. They describe their Octoberfest as a full-bodied malty lager with a medium amber color that is hopped and dry hopped with German Hallertau hops. Will sample it soon.

steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » November 2nd, 2014, 12:31 pm

Abita to me represents the weird Jeckyl/Hyde that is New Orleans and alcohol.

I've been lucky enough to spend a lot of time in NOLA. There is no place I've visited that is more about drinking. And it has a broad and interesting variety of cocktails. Some are very sweet and corny, to appeal to the dumb frat party atmosphere that Bourbon Street has become. But it's also easy to find really tasty well-made cocktails (especially excellent spice and pepper infused Bloody Marys.)

And yet it's a pretty crummy beer town. It is unusual to find a bar that has even a decent selection of beers on tap. But the one they all seem to have on tap is Abita Amber.

Which brings me to Abita. To me their Turbodog (a brown ale) and their Jockamo (IPA) are great examples of their styles. And yet they are hard to find on tap even in NOLA?!?!?

By contrast, Abita Amber, which is ubiquitous on tap in New Orleans, is a lame, watery brew. And their AndyGator, allegedly a Doppelback, tasted cloyingly and repulsively sweet, the one time I tried it.

So, Good luck on the Octoberfest, Jimmy. Very curious to hear your thoughts on it.
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » November 8th, 2014, 7:11 am

Damn you, Thelil! Hopefully your remarks about Abita didn't influence my judgement. I tried an Abita Octoberfest last night. Aside from the fact that the beer tasted flat there was not much flavor going on. The word flaccid comes to mind. Hopefully, the next bottle will present itself better. If not, I'll have four bottles left to pawn off on somebody else.
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » November 11th, 2014, 7:27 pm

I hear you, Jimbo. But trust me, if you had one of their TASTY brews like Turbodog Brown Ale or Jockamo IPA you wouldn't be using that term. So it's not me. It's them. And it's totally weird how good and how bad they can be.
And you nailed it: Your term flaccid totally describes their main brew, Abita Amber, which unfortunately is dominant in New Orleans. It's gotten better but it's still a problem. For instance my favorite meal is blackened spare rib and barbecue shrimp at a place that only has Abita Amber on tap.

Admittedly, a First World problem.

Return to “The Alley”