Cameras & Photography

Random and varied thoughts & topics
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Cameras & Photography

Postby Ron Thorne » June 27th, 2013, 5:06 pm

This is my 1st post here, testing the uploading of a photo I took a couple of days ago.

These are Rhododendrons in front of our home, which the moose (thankfully) didn't eat this spring.

"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
jtx
Commodore
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Cameras & Photography

Postby jtx » July 1st, 2013, 12:23 am

Trying an image upload.

This was taken in the last few weeks...
Attachments
solo-flower.jpg
solo-flower.jpg (82.93 KiB) Viewed 15933 times
BFrank
Founding Member

Postby BFrank » July 2nd, 2013, 9:54 pm

Haven't been shooting a lot lately.
Here's a modeately interesting shot from my annual SXSW trip in March.

Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » July 3rd, 2013, 12:22 pm

Very nice shot, Brooks! The stark contrast of colors and shadow-play really work.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » July 3rd, 2013, 2:28 pm

My wife & I saw this cool little cat each time we visited one of our favorite beaches on Kaua'i last December. I managed to capture this shot when he was sitting on a lava rock wall. I made a sound to grab his/her attention, after pre-focusing. I think it's a female.

BFrank
Founding Member

Postby BFrank » July 3rd, 2013, 10:09 pm

Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » July 15th, 2013, 6:39 pm

Here are a few shots from a recent drive down the Seward Highway, south of Anchorage. The top one was taken from the parking area of the Bar-B-Q joint where we had lunch. The bottom two were taken in a greenhouse at a nursery we like to visit in the area.

Cow Parsnips

Bee in California Poppy

Closeup of Aster
jtx
Commodore

Postby jtx » July 22nd, 2013, 11:55 pm

Close-up of leaf in driveway.
Attachments
leaf-closeup.jpg
leaf-closeup.jpg (139.22 KiB) Viewed 15878 times
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » July 23rd, 2013, 11:18 am

jtx
Commodore

Postby jtx » July 23rd, 2013, 7:54 pm

I ended up sending the lens back, but wonder if I should have kept it anyway. It had some rough spots on the front element that made me worry about its longevity and potential image problems in other scenarios, so this is all that remains of it.
jtx
Commodore

Postby jtx » July 23rd, 2013, 7:56 pm

Leo's Clip Joint. Handheld with 17mm/3.5 Tamron lens, with very little light.
Attachments
leos-clip-joint.jpg
leos-clip-joint.jpg (105.65 KiB) Viewed 15870 times
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » August 4th, 2013, 3:17 am

Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » August 5th, 2013, 6:21 pm

Coda
Founding Member

Postby Coda » September 1st, 2013, 4:19 am

This was taken about a month ago while on vacation in Ipswich MA. It was an outdoor show at the Great House. The Beantown Swing Band http://www.beantownswing.com/ with the very talented John Stevens singing. He's the guy in the right of the shot just off stage.

They had some guest singers too. This picture is of two of them. I asked for a pose after I bought the band's CD.

I need help with Flickr. It was not easy to locate where to copy the image location. I had to hunt and peck to get this far.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » September 1st, 2013, 4:40 pm

Yeah, Flickr is our friend, Coda. Glad you found the Img button. Let us know if we can help point out anything else.
jtx
Commodore

Postby jtx » September 1st, 2013, 5:42 pm

A couple of shots from this weekend.
Attachments
americana-2.jpg
americana-2.jpg (255.14 KiB) Viewed 15808 times
americana-3.jpg
americana-3.jpg (210.61 KiB) Viewed 15808 times
BFrank
Founding Member

Postby BFrank » September 1st, 2013, 8:28 pm

iPhone panoramic - Presidio SF, Bay entrance.

Jazzooo
Founding Member

Postby Jazzooo » September 1st, 2013, 10:00 pm

Thanks, BFrank--I honestly had no idea that my iPhone could take panoramic shots till you posted yours and I investigated!
Coda
Founding Member

Postby Coda » September 2nd, 2013, 4:32 am

Excellent shots JTX. I really like the similar texture and angles on the building and lamp post.

At risk of oinking up the site, here is another one from Ipswich. It's at Great Neck, low tide. I was able to walk around the mush -wrecking a pair of shoes in the process but it was worth it. Bonus was one of the houses had a band practicing - and it was good rock music too! The sun was about gone for the day and I did not have a tripod with me.

BFrank
Founding Member

Postby BFrank » September 2nd, 2013, 11:14 am

BFrank
Founding Member

Postby BFrank » September 2nd, 2013, 6:54 pm

jtx
Commodore

Postby jtx » September 2nd, 2013, 9:28 pm

Yeah, that was rolled out in iOS 6 on both the iPhone 4S and 5 as well as the 5G iPod Touch, but not any earlier models, as those iPhone/iPod models do not share the same iSight camera system shared by the 4S, 5 and 5G iPod Touch. You can select Panorama from the Options screen when using the camera to access the panorama mode.
Coda
Founding Member

Postby Coda » September 9th, 2013, 2:18 pm

Back a few posts I showed a picture of the Bean Town Swing Band. It really didn't give you a sense of the setting. Here is the same Great House but I had to step back to get it all in frame:

And when I turn around, this is the view:

It's about a half mile walk from the house to the ocean.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Hil ... sachusetts)
Coda
Founding Member

Postby Coda » September 9th, 2013, 2:45 pm

No, I've never been there. I checked out the website and it looks like an amazing place. A home built for a Vanderbilt.
BFrank
Founding Member

Postby BFrank » September 9th, 2013, 6:01 pm

Return to “The Alley”