Cameras & Photography

Random and varied thoughts & topics
Coda
Founding Member

Re: Cameras & Photography

Postby Coda » October 15th, 2013, 2:02 pm

Thank you for the kind words. I'm addicted and carry a camera about everywhere with me.

This was taken this summer in the midday sun. It's out of the Sigma. I just love how it renders the clouds.
This is one of the few remaining all wooden-ship making and designing businesses.
BFrank
Founding Member

Postby BFrank » October 15th, 2013, 8:32 pm

Scott Dolan wrote:I'll say this, Coda.

No matter your politics, your photography skills are impecable. Seriously.

In our extended JC family I always thought Beefy couldn't be beat. But, I believe I stand corrected.

You have moved the bar. And I feel safe that I speak for many when I say that that fact is appreciated.

Your photos are second to none, IMO. Please keep them coming.

Hey now!!! Whadda I gotta do?
:D

That IS some nice stuff, though, Coda ... 8-)
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » October 16th, 2013, 6:02 am

Coda. Is the camera really a point and shoot? Do you play with a lot of settings to get the results you do (especially the night shots with the light source facing upwards)?
Coda
Founding Member

Postby Coda » October 19th, 2013, 2:11 pm

steve(thelil) wrote:Coda. Is the camera really a point and shoot? Do you play with a lot of settings to get the results you do (especially the night shots with the light source facing upwards)?

The three cameras I use are all on the small size. The two Sigmas are a lot different than the Sony and the Sony is unique when compared to a traditional point and shoot. But yes, you would consider all three to be point and shoot cameras. The Sigmas look like older style P&S cameras, which is why I call them bricks. The Sony has a much nicer build quality but is about the same size as the Sigmas. They won't fit into a shirt pocket but they're all small enough to fit into your coat pocket.

All modern digital cameras make a fine quality image. What will set you aside is using good technique, shooting raw and processing pictures yourself. It's important to have a workflow to take you from camera to print that is color correct across the platforms.

I have nice P&S cameras. My wife doesn't but she shoots raw and that is enough to set her pictures above 99% of the rest out there.

Image quality is overrated. So is noise. Get a good enough camera and learn to shoot raw. Process your pictures yourself - the software today is so powerful that you can get any look you want with minimal effort and low cost.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » October 22nd, 2013, 7:38 pm

I'm very excited and happy to announce my purchase of a new camera, an early birthday gift to myself. I bought a wonderful little micro 4/3 Olympus E-PL1 today, and ordered its electronic viewfinder to mount on the hot shoe. For now, I'm keeping it simple with a factory "kit" 14-42mm lens, which will be wonderfully compact for traveling. Our oldest son has been using this camera, among several, for the past 3 years and is very enthusiastic about the overall image quality it produces, and its rugged build quality, as well.

Image Image

Mail watch is on high alert! 8-)
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
BFrank
Founding Member

Postby BFrank » October 22nd, 2013, 8:52 pm

I look forward to seeing your pix with this, Ron.
I keep reading good things about those Olympuses (Olympii?).
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » October 23rd, 2013, 12:45 pm

Brooks, this particular camera has particularly nice characteristics, especially for the price. It's no longer produced, having been replaced by newer incarnations, so I got a terrific buy. I've seen lots of output from my son's E-PL1, and it's amazing! He still uses it despite also having a state-of-the-art Olympus OM-D EM1. It's lightweight, compact, and has in-body image stabilization, a huge benefit.
Coda
Founding Member

Postby Coda » October 23rd, 2013, 3:27 pm

That is a nice camera and it takes museum quality photos. I'm also looking forward to viewing your pics.

Here's a recent one of mine. I haven't shared it beyond this group...is it any good?
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » October 28th, 2013, 7:54 pm

My new camera arrived on Saturday, and I've been getting acquainted with it ever since. There is a learning curve, but I hope to share some photos with you before we head to Hawaii next week. It's beautiful, and will keep me happy for quite a while, I'm certain.

Our weather has sucked since it arrived, so I haven't been able to take any shots outdoors, yet.
BFrank
Founding Member

Postby BFrank » October 28th, 2013, 10:08 pm

Nice shot, Coda. The variations in the light is what makes it for me.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » October 30th, 2013, 12:49 pm

My new camera has arrived, and I got my 1st chance to take a few shots with it yesterday afternoon. These are mostly snapshot-like photos, but will give you an idea of what wonderful color rendition and crisp images it can produce. There is a luminous quality that I can't adequately describe but certainly see in them. These photos are not retouched in any way, but are jpegs straight out of the camera. I'll get into shooting RAW and doing my own custom jpeg creation a bit down the road.

Some of these shots will show how fall has extended in Anchorage this year, our warmest ever. There is not even much snow on the mountains, just a "dusting" on the peaks.

First, an interior shot of Patti's lunch yesterday, taken at the Spenard Roadhouse, a favorite haunt. I used a magnifying tool to look at the salad ingredients and toasted bread, and was utterly amazed at the clarity and detail.

Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » October 30th, 2013, 1:32 pm

Thanks, Scott.

And, because the Olympus E-PL1 allows interchangeable lenses, I can use any primary lens made for an SLR, too. I have 3 adapters on the way ... to accept Olympus, Konica and Exakta 35mm lenses. And, because the image stabilization system is housed in the body of my camera, those lenses will also reap that benefit. I'm excited to use some of my old Exakta lenses, and just purchased a 135mm Hexanon (Konica) which will be the equivalent of a 270mm lens on this micro 4/3 camera. I got it on eBay for just under $40.00! 8-)

All of these photos were hand-held, by the way.

More photos soon.
ValerieB
Founding Member

Postby ValerieB » October 30th, 2013, 9:03 pm

Coda wrote:That is a nice camera and it takes museum quality photos. I'm also looking forward to viewing your pics.

Here's a recent one of mine. I haven't shared it beyond this group...is it any good?

your picture is absolutely gorgeous!! so glad you shared it with us.
BFrank
Founding Member

Postby BFrank » October 30th, 2013, 10:08 pm

Ron - those ARE crystal clear and really capture the Alaskan light.
You're going to have fun with that!
Coda
Founding Member

Postby Coda » October 31st, 2013, 4:08 pm

I love the food shot - the shadows make it for me. In fact all of them are nice. You live in a beautiful place.

And thank you BF and Valerie.

Here is another new one from last week. It's Washington Street in Brighton, just outside the center of the town. I don't know the name of the church but I should.
ValerieB
Founding Member

Postby ValerieB » November 1st, 2013, 5:04 pm

Coda wrote:I love the food shot - the shadows make it for me. In fact all of them are nice. You live in a beautiful place.

And thank you BF and Valerie.

Here is another new one from last week. It's Washington Street in Brighton, just outside the center of the town. I don't know the name of the church but I should.

I was born and raised in Brighton! thanks for another excellent photo. unfortunately, I don't know the name of the church either.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » November 4th, 2013, 4:47 pm

Here are two photos I took with the Olympus yesterday, even though it was dismal and gray, and the light was very flat.

This is my very favorite aircraft of all time, the de Havilland Beaver, which is a workhorse in Alaska ... on wheels, skis and floats. I had the thrill of a lifetime about 15 years ago when I got to sit in the co-pilot's seat on the way home from a fishing trip with a buddy. Fantastic!

The top photo was taken with the M. Zuiko 14-42mm f3.5/5.6 zoom lens which came with my camera.

The lower photo was taken with my son's Konica Hexanon 40mm f1.8 lens which he's loaning me for our upcoming trip.

BFrank
Founding Member

Postby BFrank » November 4th, 2013, 9:47 pm

Cool looking planes, Ron.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » November 16th, 2013, 12:32 am

It's always difficult to know where to begin when it comes to posting photos when on a trip. So, I'll just make some arbitrary choices and hope for the best. I'll begin with a photo I didn't take ... a post-birthday dinner shot from Waikiki last weekend. It was a wonderful dinner, made even better with the company of our dear friends Bobby & Tessie who live in Honolulu.

All of these photos were taken with my new Olympus micro 4/3 camera.

BFrank
Founding Member

Postby BFrank » November 16th, 2013, 1:44 pm

Ron, that's YOU body-surfing, right?
;)
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » November 16th, 2013, 1:48 pm

Yep, that's me on my prized boogie board! :smug:
ValerieB
Founding Member

Postby ValerieB » November 17th, 2013, 12:52 am

love the wonderful pictures, Ron. the picture of you and Patti at your birthday dinner is especially good, along with the shot of those adorable white legs of yours. you're doing the right thing in letting the sun take a peek at them!!
BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » November 17th, 2013, 9:33 am

I love the small plane pictures. Something very vivid/real about them. I had work in some remote areas in Alaska and use to take "mail planes" out of Fairbanks. Over the Brooks Range to Fort Yukon, Chandalar, Chalky...? Anyway, a beautiful area.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » November 17th, 2013, 1:44 pm

Thanks, Valerie & BeBop.

Here are two of my favorite images I was able to capture yesterday, just as we returned to our cottage ... at moonrise. We're staying about 150ft. from the ocean with no buildings between us and the water. Sublime.

ValerieB
Founding Member

Postby ValerieB » November 18th, 2013, 1:17 am

WOW!! gave me goose-bumps!! fabulous pictures, Ron. and to think you're sleeping and living so close to these scenes. I am totally envious. I bet you guys could easily spend a couple of months there!

Return to “The Alley”