Food For Thought

Random and varied thoughts & topics
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Food For Thought

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » October 12th, 2014, 5:55 am

Nice meal at Street & Co. In Portland, Maine.

Picture perfect halibut from New Foundland. Buttery melt-in-your-mouth flavor. Perfectly cooked alongside ethereal whipped potatoes and green beans napped with tomato relish, rosemary and lemon juice. I had the halibut grilled. Whitey had the same except broiled. Apps were mussels with white wine for Jo and clams with chorizo and sherry for me. Good show!

“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ― Frank Sinatra
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » October 13th, 2014, 12:38 pm

Portland, Maine has a great food scene so I was excited to be there for a wedding. The wedding actually took place in Falmouth, just north of Portland. As a prelude to the wedding celebration we hung out in and around Portland.

I was on my own on our first night in Portland due to Joanne being a little "under the weather". After making sure Whitey had her green tea and the tv remote I struck out on my own. The first place I checked out was a joint called Central Provisions on Fore St. in the Old Port section of town. Central Provisions specializes in "small plates", desserts, cocktails, beer and wine as well as sakes, punches and digestifs. Cool place, nice vibe.

After imbibing in a pre-dinner cocktail, a martini made with Old Tom gin, just a tad sweeter than the London Dry variety, I made my way upstairs from the lower level bar. Once upstairs I was met by a young host who led me to a seat at the "kitchen bar" where one can observe the culinary acrobatics going on. By now the place was hopping with activity and it had only been minutes since opening for dinner.

Let's get to the food! After perusing the menu I settled on several offerings. I started out with four Maine oysters. I chose a mignonette sauce as an accompaniment. The oysters, a Basket Islands from Casco Bay, a Brown Point from Hog Bay, a Taunton Bay from Mount Desert Island and a Norumbega from the Damariscotta River. Although the oysters were exceedingly fresh and briney, it was like having one potato chip, just a tease. Also, the mignonette sauce actually overtook the delicate flavor of the oysters. I ate two with the sauce and two without. When I mentioned to my server that the sauce tended to masked the flavor of the oysters she told me that when she does oysters with mignonette she eats the oysters au naturel and then does the sauce as a shooter after she downs the mollusks. My habit has always been to eat raw oysters and clams with just a hint of lemon juice at the most. But, her point is well taken. Next time!

Second up was sea urchin crudo made with sea urchin from Maine. It was served with pickled plum, Japanese turnip and ginger ponzu. Melt-in-your-mouth excellent. But again, like eating one potato chip. It was gone in a flash. Onto confit of local potatoes which were warm and satisfying. The spuds were made with fois gras butter, scrambled farm eggs and garlic scapes. Still, I yearned for more. Last up was a wonderful serving of charred octopus with cannellini beans, serrano ham and lobster coral. The octopus was perfectly salted, just on the edge of being too salty but it did not cross that line. Sublime.

I had a great meal along with two brews, a bottle from Dogfish, Festina Peche, and a draft called Matilda from Goose Island. I could have stayed a lot longer and ate a lot more but it was time to relinquish my seat at the kitchen bar to somebody else and get a start on a new adventure in Portland.

“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ― Frank Sinatra
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » October 13th, 2014, 6:24 pm

"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » October 14th, 2014, 5:44 am

Looks like you had a perfect meal on a perfect day. Love the photos.
ValerieB
Founding Member

Postby ValerieB » October 14th, 2014, 10:14 am

ValerieB
Founding Member

Postby ValerieB » October 14th, 2014, 10:15 am

moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » October 14th, 2014, 11:11 am

To deal with my grouchiness, I'm whipping up some risotto with lamb, mushrooms, shallots And Thai basil. A small salad with gold heirloom tomatoes accompanied by my friend Johnny Black. I braised the lamb in some stock and will use that for the risotto.

I'll probably still be grouchy, but well fed.
Bright moments
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » October 14th, 2014, 11:24 am

Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » November 9th, 2014, 3:49 pm

Lazy Sunday evening. Nursing a mini-hangover. No cooking tonight. A martini followed by some brandy and the hangover is history. Still lazy, though. Chinese take-out is the way to go tonight. We can't get the real deal in the suburbs as we can when we're in NYC so we'll just have to make do. Whitey is going with "Roast Pork with Chinese Vegetables" and "Shrimp with Snow Peas". I'm feeling some chicken wings, love me some chicken wings. I'm also all over a large order of "Singapore Mei Fun".
hornplayer
Founding Member

Postby hornplayer » November 11th, 2014, 11:33 am

I don't know how many of you ever went to Regina's Blues and Biscuits in San Francisco back in the 90's, but I thought all you good cooks and eaters would enjoy this great article about what she's doing now that was in today's New York Times. :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/12/dinin ... ef=dining#
Life's short, drink well.
Hornplayer
www.feastivals.com/blog
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » November 12th, 2014, 4:42 pm

Baked Sweet Potatoes with Sour Cream & Cranberry-Jalapeño Chutney
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » November 13th, 2014, 5:11 pm

Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » November 20th, 2014, 7:49 pm

This has nothing to do with food, but should bring a smile to the poster who created this thread.

While looking at some fascinating, rare photographs tonight, I discovered this one, which seemed perfect to share with Jimmy Cantiello.

Frank Sinatra stepping off of a helicopter with a drink in his hand, by Yul Brynner, 1964
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » November 21st, 2014, 5:34 pm

Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » November 22nd, 2014, 6:27 am

Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » November 22nd, 2014, 6:38 am

Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » November 25th, 2014, 7:30 pm

Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » November 25th, 2014, 7:33 pm

Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » November 26th, 2014, 6:41 am

Frank knew how to live.
hornplayer
Founding Member

Postby hornplayer » November 26th, 2014, 7:52 am

Hornplayer
www.feastivals.com/blog
hornplayer
Founding Member

Postby hornplayer » November 26th, 2014, 7:56 am

turns out I'm hosting a sort-of orphans Thanksgiving. But I'm roasting a big chicken. Traditional fixings to go with will be homemade cranberry sauce, Mamma's Cornbread Dressing, Green beans with almonds, homemade rolls with butter I brought back from France, green salad with Green Goddess dressing and Sweet Potato Pie (with homemade cinnamon ice cream, if I can squeeze it in).
Hornplayer
www.feastivals.com/blog
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » November 26th, 2014, 11:14 am

Our daughter does the heavy lifting with all the traditional stuff. I make a great Waldorf salad with roasted pecans and dried cranberries with the apples (three varieties) farmers' market celery and lemon and lime juice from our trees to cut the richness of the mayo.

I used to do all the Thanksgiving spread, but the calendar has caught up to me. Our Doctor daughter has been doing a great job.
Bright moments
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » November 26th, 2014, 1:18 pm

Clint, you deserve a rest. But you already knew that.
Tom Storer
Éminence Grise

Postby Tom Storer » November 27th, 2014, 4:29 am

For the past 30 years, give or take a year or two, we've spent Thanksgiving at the home of an American foodie friend who cooks for 15 or 20. I'm her sous-chef. But this year she had to cancel, so I'll be making the Thanksgiving meal for six.

Simplicity itself: a roast turkey with bread/sage/onion/mushroom/giblet/etc. stuffing. I don't brine or anything, I just season and butter up the bird and stick it in the oven. Hot to start, then lower the temperature for the finish. I put a sheet of aluminum foil over it when necessary to prevent excessive browning. I baste. I usually manage a moist and tender breast. The turkey is a free-range beast I get from my local butcher. (No frozen turkeys in France anyway.)

For dessert, sweet potato pie.

But in between, the jury's still out. Cranberry sauce, yes, made with some orange juice and zest (an old Fanny Farmer recipe, tweaked). Rather than mashed potatoes I'm thinking I'll get some rattes, nestle them in next to the turkey at the right time, and roast them. What are rattes, you ask? Delicious little potatoes.

Brussels sprouts are another possibility. Not sure, though. I have decisions to make!
Praise Cheeses!
BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » November 27th, 2014, 8:11 am

Whatever food happens, I'm just going to enjoy the day writing cards and enjoying a bit of relaxation before work (10:00PM).

Dinner plans got thwarted. OpenTable reservation. Then a call from the restaurant: "Sorry, no 'parties of one' today". C'est la vie.

Return to “The Alley”