Food For Thought

Random and varied thoughts & topics
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Food For Thought

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » August 27th, 2014, 6:19 am

Timoleon, I'm a firm believer that a picture is worth a thousand words. I live in Fairfield county in Connecticut which means I'm in close proximity to New Haven style pizza as well as New York style. Matter of fact, I soon will be traveling to Coney Island in NYC (Brooklyn) to visit one of the city's iconic pizza joints, Totonno's. Should be interesting. Later in the day I will make a stop at another Brooklyn institution, L&B Spumoni Gardens to try their square slices, aka Sicilian pizza.

“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ― Frank Sinatra
moldyfigg
Founding Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby moldyfigg » August 27th, 2014, 9:35 am

Tonight, alder smoked fresh Chinook (wild), corn on the cob and heirloom tomatoes.
Bright moments
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » September 4th, 2014, 6:51 am

I've been overindulging on tomatoes for the last several weeks because I know that soon I will not be able to find a tomato that's worth shit until late next year. The only downside to having access to so many delicious garden fresh tomatoes is that I can't use them up fast enough. Joanne has been bringing them home from family and friends faster than I can devour them. I guess that's why canning was invented.

Let me count the ways I'm eating these beauties. Sometimes I take some sliced Tuscan style bread and lightly toast it. Then I layer thick cut tomatoes on the toast, drizzle some evoo on them and then hit 'em with some sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Then I cut the sandwiches in half and savor away. Sometimes I change it up and add some slices of extra sharp cheddar. When I can resist eating bread I cut up several tomatoes, throw 'em in a bowl and add the aformentioned toppings along with some chopped fresh basil from Joanne's garden. Fresh tomatoes and fresh basil, together they're a classic culinary duo. Another great way to enjoy the bounty is to put the slices on some halved French bread along with some mozzarella and basil and run it under the broiler. And...we can't forget using the fruit to make a jammin' quick marinara sauce to combine with pasta.

By the way, Tommy and I stopped by Salerno's last night for yet another delicious plum tomato pizza. We had to wait about a half hour for a table...on a Wednesday. Pretty soon those pies will be going away too, until next year. So it goes.
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ― Frank Sinatra
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » September 4th, 2014, 9:43 am

Bright moments
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » September 4th, 2014, 10:13 am

Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » September 8th, 2014, 11:15 am

"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » September 8th, 2014, 3:39 pm

Bright moments
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » September 9th, 2014, 4:06 am

bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » September 9th, 2014, 4:28 am

Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » September 9th, 2014, 5:32 am

hornplayer
Founding Member

Postby hornplayer » September 9th, 2014, 8:05 am

Jimmy, I hope you're making sauce with some of those gorgeous tomatoes. Hmmmm fresh tomato pizza. I need to make at least one of those before the month is out. :)

Last night brought out one of the packages of veal scallops I brought back from my amazing butcher in Boston (Sulmona on Parmenter Street, FYI - never go to Boston without bringing home veal chops and scallops and sausage from them.) and did Veal Marsala with mushrooms and pasta and a side of creamed spinach. SO good. Should post a photo... will download it when I get home tonight. :D
Life's short, drink well.
Hornplayer
www.feastivals.com/blog
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » September 9th, 2014, 8:41 am

8-)

hornplayer
Founding Member

Postby hornplayer » September 9th, 2014, 12:19 pm

Life's short, drink well.
Hornplayer
www.feastivals.com/blog
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » September 10th, 2014, 4:59 am

Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » September 21st, 2014, 9:56 am

Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » September 21st, 2014, 11:02 am

Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » September 22nd, 2014, 11:33 am

Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » September 22nd, 2014, 11:49 am

Sounds good, Ron. Sometimes the "little" restaurants are the best.

Now that it's going to be getting cooler around here I'll be eating more pasta. Yesterday, even though it hit 80 degrees here in Monroe, I was craving pasta. I made a pot of red sauce using San Marzano tomatoes,sweet Italian sausage and about eight ounces of pesto. Hooked the sauce and sausage up with some nice rigatoni. Topped it off with a liberal grating of Pecorino Romano. Two huge helpings did the trick.
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 pm

We are lucky to have three small family Itralian restaurants withing 10 minutes. Our favorite is Genovese which has never served us anything we didn't love. It's your basic red sauce place, very Napolitano, even though the name makes your think North. When you walk into the place, you are transported to New Jersey. They greet us like family whilst Dean Martin croons. Plus the owners wife makes the best chocolate cake I've ever had.

I think we are headed there tomorrow. Tonight, grilled Ahi.
Bright moments
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » September 22nd, 2014, 1:23 pm

Joanne and I had a "strange" dining experience this past Saturday night. We decided to go to a relatively new joint in our hometown, Bridgeport. It's about 20 minutes south of where we live in Monroe. Since the exodus of manufacturing there, and Connecticut in general, Bridgeport has had a tough go of it for many years. It's trying its best for an economic recovery so whenever I get a chance to try a new restaurant in the city where we grew up I jump at it. Most of the suburban communities are loaded with people who originally lived in Bridgeport. Unfortunately, not a lot of them want to venture back there.

Anyway, we decided to check out a place called Bistro B. Strangely, this restaurant is located right next door to another restaurant owned by the same people called Barnum Publick House. From what I could see, the menus are very similar. Now remember, this is Saturday evening, a very popular restaurant day. There was exactly one two top occupied when we walked in. Those two people left before we started our meal. The place was very nicely decorated. They obviously put a lot of thought into the design.

The young lady that served us was very professional and accomodating. However, there were a few missteps. After getting a couple of excellent cocktails things got a little weird. I got my usual martini but instead of Hendrick's I went with a gin I never tried before, Uncle Val's Botanical Gin. On the money. I will be cheating on my beloved Hendrick's in the future. Anyway, I asked our server if, in addition to my main course, I could get a half order of the fettucine that was on the menu. No can do. Thinking that she misunderstood me I explained that I wanted the pasta in addition to my main course. She said, "Nope, we don't sell half orders. The full order is not that much to begin with." Oh, okay, less money for you and the restaurant. So we got our apps. Joanne had a huge kale salad and I got an excellent steak tartare. It went downhill from there. The time between the first course and the main was incredibly long. There was nobody else in the restaurant but me and Whitey, on a Saturday evening! I asked our server if the chef took off. She assured us he did not. I asked her if she noticed that we were the only two people in the establishment.

Our food finally came out of the kitchen. Maybe they ordered take out. Or...maybe they ordered from the restaurant next door since there didn't seem to be much need to have a chef on site at this place. My double cut pork chop was tasteless, dry and overall boring so I told our server so when she asked. Joanne's salmon was hammered and vey dry as a result. Our server took $20.00 off the bill which I appreciated. I still gave her an almost 30% tip on the original total. She did her best.

I'm no restaurant expert but I'm still trying to figure out why someone would open two restaurants that are essentially the same, serving very similar dishes, right next door to each other. I don't hold out much hope for either one of these restaurants. Sad.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » September 22nd, 2014, 3:36 pm

rlfun

Postby rlfun » September 22nd, 2014, 6:41 pm

Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » September 23rd, 2014, 5:05 am

I always try to take care of the front line soldiers in restaurants. The way that the hospitality business, particularly the restaurant business, is set up puts the server at a decided disadvantage. Servers and bussers do not even get paid minimum wage. Who made up these rules? These people have to put up with a lot of shit, not only from the patrons but from the kitchen and management. I try to tip in cash if possible. On occasion I will get the busser aside and slip him/her some cash on the side above and beyond the general tip. Bottom line, if not for tips waitpersons could not come close to making a decent living.
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » September 23rd, 2014, 5:43 am

Just checked my bank statement online. The charge for the meal we had at Bistro B was credited to Barnum Publick Bistro as opposed to Bistro B or Barnum Publick House. Hmmm. I think Ron F. was onto something when he mentioned tax considerations.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » October 10th, 2014, 9:10 pm

Return to “The Alley”