Food For Thought

Random and varied thoughts & topics
hornplayer
Founding Member

Re: Food For Thought

Postby hornplayer » December 1st, 2014, 8:35 am

BeBop wrote:Dinner plans got thwarted. OpenTable reservation. Then a call from the restaurant: "Sorry, no 'parties of one' today". C'est la vie.

That really stinks. What was that resto thinking? No parties of one? Not very hospitable on such a holiday. :( Too bad I didn't know sooner you could have come to my house. [I don't know where you're located, tho...]
Life's short, drink well.
Hornplayer
www.feastivals.com/blog
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » April 28th, 2015, 3:43 pm

This thread has languished for too long. It's time to add a couple of thoughts about some food we enjoyed a few days ago and some we're about to enjoy tonight. Hopefully, this will stimulate further discussion, and salivation, too.

While in Kaua'i, Patti & I discovered a really excellent, pure, herb, sesame seed & spice rub with Hawaiian salt and red clay. We used it with several seafood dishes we cooked in our condo, beginning with a block of fresh ahi (big eye tuna) which I pan-seared rare. After it rested, I sliced it into about ¼" thick pieces. I put together a simple ponzu dipping sauce with soy sauce, lime juice, and a tiny bit of sugar. Amazing! Some Sake went nicely with it.

Pan-Seared Ahi

I also sauteed some fresh Monchong and Opah, both delicate, firm-fleshed Hawaiian favorites. For those filets, I made a butter/lime/garlic reduction sauce.

Grilled Opah

Now that we're back home in Alaska, I've made the Ahi twice, and am about to saute some fresh line caught Alaskan Halibut tonight. We'll have a baked potato and small salad with it. A glass of crisp Pinot Grigio will accompany dinner.

Last week, we launched our seafood cravings into overdrive with some Alaskan King Crab Legs since they were on sale for nearly ½ price! A salad, french bread and salad went perfectly. Oh yeah, and some drawn butter.

Alaskan King Crab Legs
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
hornplayer
Founding Member

Postby hornplayer » April 29th, 2015, 10:41 am

Ron, I wish we had "like" buttons here on Jazztalk. Those photos really made me salivate. Some of my favorite thinkgs to eat of all time.

Thought you guys might get a kick out of my activities yesterday. I served as a judge for the 2015 International Chocolate Competition. this is my 2nd year as a judge. From 3 to 7 we tasted and rated dark bars. A couple of them were sensational, most were just okay. Really surprised that I found a couple that were actually off-balance and pretty awful. The ones I liked best came from Ecuador and Venezuela.

At 7 we had one round of tasting 7 filled chocolates. One of these, flavored with bourbon and topped with sea salt, was outstanding. One with mango, banana and passionfruit was waaay too sweet. The rest were okay. All in all a pretty tasty afternoon. :)
Hornplayer
www.feastivals.com/blog
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » April 30th, 2015, 9:50 am

hornplayer wrote:I wish we had "like" buttons here on Jazztalk.

But June, this way you can address JT readers directly, express your "liking" in your own words, and say anything else you want to say in the same post. IMO, that's much more participatory and "social." (Is it obvious that I don't belong to Facebook?)
;)

Congratulations on having been chosen to spend an arduous afternoon tasting dark chocolate. You really took one for the team!

Re #227: Ron, I knew that you cooked, but even after all this time, I didn't know that you cooked.
Image           Image     
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » April 30th, 2015, 2:09 pm

bluenoter wrote:
hornplayer wrote:I wish we had "like" buttons here on Jazztalk.

But June, this way you can address JT readers directly, express your "liking" in your own words, and say anything else you want to say in the same post. IMO, that's much more participatory and "social." (Is it obvious that I don't belong to Facebook?)
;)

Congratulations on having been chosen to spend an arduous afternoon tasting dark chocolate. You really took one for the team!

Re #227: Ron, I knew that you cooked, but even after all this time, I didn't know that you cooked.

Shoue your looove of our music.

And always honor Slim Galliard. O'Roonie
Bright moments
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » April 30th, 2015, 3:06 pm

moldyfigg wrote:Shoue your looove of our music.
Image  Why and how do you want me to shoue it?

moldyfigg wrote:And always honor Slim Galliard. O'Roonie
I honor him by spelling his last name correctly---Gaillard. Vout!

Clint, I don't believe you ever saw your birthday shout-outs. Want to take a look? There are two in a row.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » April 30th, 2015, 4:54 pm

bluenoter wrote:

Bluenoter, I've been cooking in kitchens since I was a pre-teen. Both of my parents were outstanding cooks, even becoming restaurateurs at one point. Many of my Mom's sisters were also excellent cooks, so I came by it honestly. I paid close attention when I was in our kitchen or that of my favorite aunts.

In a more rustic setting, I was camp cook for a gold-seeking expedition in the Aleutian Islands for the late glacier pilot Bob Reeve one summer in the early 60s. We lived in tents, and I cooked with wood on a Yukon Stove, baking bread in large leftover cans. I also cut the wood myself each day.

We were on 2 separate islands, Unga Island and Popoff Island (Shumigan Chain), and were nearly the only inhabitants on Unga, and among a very small population on Popoff. I prepared breakfast, packed a lunch for the party of 3 prospectors and a "grunt", followed by dinner every day for about one month during this summertime job. It was one of the most unusual, often lonely, yet satisfying jobs I ever had.

The story of Bob Reeve

Very similar to Yukon Stove I cooked with in the Aleutians

Map showing Unga and Popoff Islands
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » May 2nd, 2015, 6:34 am

Great photos, Ron. I'm sure the food tasted as good as it looks.
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ― Frank Sinatra
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » May 3rd, 2015, 12:08 pm

Jimmy Cantiello wrote:Great photos, Ron. I'm sure the food tasted as good as it looks.

Thanks, Jimmy, but those are not my photos. Yes, everything tasted fantastic, but I didn't think to take shots at the moment, so used some "stock" photos. My finished products looked virtually identical, but in the interest of full disclosure ...
hornplayer
Founding Member

Postby hornplayer » May 4th, 2015, 7:41 am

Saturday when I walked into Whole Foods, the Seafood Manager was butchering a Hawaiian Opah. I've never seen one on the East Coast before. Apparently he was in the early stages of his demo, and I was able to purchase one of the cheeks. I came home and cut it into six pieces. Last night I served half of it. Sauteed in butter with just salt and pepper. Wow! It was pricy, but worth ever penny. :) I made smashed butterball potatoes with sauteed ramps and dandelion greens to go with it. So delicious!
Hornplayer
www.feastivals.com/blog
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » May 4th, 2015, 8:58 am

bluenoter wrote:Clint, I don't believe you ever saw your birthday shout-outs. Want to take a look? There are two in a row.

I hardly ever go to that site. I need to.
Bright moments
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » May 4th, 2015, 11:33 am

moldyfigg wrote:
bluenoter wrote:Clint, I don't believe you ever saw your birthday shout-outs. Want to take a look? There are two in a row.

I hardly ever go to that site. I need to.

Clint, did you click on the link? Don't know whether you realized that "that site" is right here at JT, in a different thread in the Alley. So please click on the link (or tap it, hit it with a sledgehammer, whatever):

your birthday shout-outs
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » May 4th, 2015, 11:38 am

hornplayer wrote:Saturday when I walked into Whole Foods, the Seafood Manager was butchering a Hawaiian Opah. I've never seen one on the East Coast before. Apparently he was in the early stages of his demo, and I was able to purchase one of the cheeks. I came home and cut it into six pieces. Last night I served half of it. Sauteed in butter with just salt and pepper. Wow! It was pricy, but worth ever penny. :) I made smashed butterball potatoes with sauteed ramps and dandelion greens to go with it. So delicious!

Glad you found some fresh Opah! It's exquisite isn't it, June? Very delicate with a perfect, firm texture. It's known as Moonfish by most outside Hawai'i, and they are large.

Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » May 4th, 2015, 11:47 am

Ron, if those photos were posted by anyone other than you, Brooks or Coda I would have suspected they were stock photos. But knowing your photographic talents and the qualty equipment you use to take photos I accepted that they were shots taken by you.
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ― Frank Sinatra
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » May 4th, 2015, 3:24 pm

Opah is a wonderful fish. Santa Monica Sea Foods is a great source.

Tonight, rotisserie roast chicken stuffed with cilantro and garlic and garlic sauteed chard with more garlic.

No vampires around here.
Bright moments
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » May 4th, 2015, 3:46 pm

Jimmy Cantiello wrote:Ron, if those photos were posted by anyone other than you, Brooks or Coda I would have suspected they were stock photos. But knowing your photographic talents and the qualty equipment you use to take photos I accepted that they were shots taken by you.
Thanks, pal! I appreciate the compliment.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » May 4th, 2015, 5:13 pm

I just rediscovered some photos taken on our recent visit to Kaua'i, when we enjoyed a very special evening with two friends who live on the island. They were excited to share a new dining spot and to celebrate our anniversary with us. They had leis custom-made for each of us, and presented them to us as soon as we arrived for dinner at Jo2, the recently opened 2nd restaurant for legendary chef Jean-Marie Josselin, in Kapa'a. I don't even remember what all of the dishes were, but the flavors and presentation were something very special. And, everything was edible and natural, most of which was locally sourced. Fresh seafood and local vegetables were front and center.

I'm getting hungry again just looking at these wonderful dishes.

Patti and me wearing our beautiful leis

Hamachi sashimi, ponzu sauce, spicy yuzu, avocado mousse

Seared Hawaiian butterfish, prawns and risotto

Seared opah

Mojito crepe soufflé, lime custard, strawberry guava sorbetto
hornplayer
Founding Member

Postby hornplayer » May 6th, 2015, 6:51 am

Ron Thorne wrote:
hornplayer wrote:Saturday when I walked into Whole Foods, the Seafood Manager was butchering a Hawaiian Opah. I've never seen one on the East Coast before. Apparently he was in the early stages of his demo, and I was able to purchase one of the cheeks. I came home and cut it into six pieces. Last night I served half of it. Sauteed in butter with just salt and pepper. Wow! It was pricy, but worth ever penny. :) I made smashed butterball potatoes with sauteed ramps and dandelion greens to go with it. So delicious!

Glad you found some fresh Opah! It's exquisite isn't it, June? Very delicate with a perfect, firm texture. It's known as Moonfish by most outside Hawai'i, and they are large.

That's exactly what it looked like. Had never seen a whole one before. Used to get it when I lived in San Diego. Never heard it called moonfish, but can kind of see why.
Hornplayer
www.feastivals.com/blog
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » July 4th, 2015, 7:04 pm

Our original plans for grilling outside on the 4th of July were curtailed by a ban of all open fires, charcoal grills, etc. It's far too dangerous in this dry season, but we're a bit bummed, nonetheless. So, we cooked inside today ... the traditional fare, hot dogs, hot links, potato salad, baked beans, pickles, peppers, cheeses, etc.

The only photograph I took today was one of the yummy dessert Patti put together, pound cake with fresh strawberries, blueberries & whipped cream — a patriotic treat.

Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » July 5th, 2015, 7:52 am

Looks delicious, Ron. Joanne and our granddaughters made a similar dessert for today's cookout. They're called Patriotic Pudding Parfaits, which are made with vanilla pudding, strawberries, blueberries and whipped cream. Enjoy your day!
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » July 6th, 2015, 9:04 am

A favorite summer dish tonight, diced heirloom tomatoes, fresh basil, garlic, parmesan, OVOO, hot orachetti dumped over the cold stuff. Great dish.
Bright moments
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » July 6th, 2015, 11:15 am

Jimmy Cantiello wrote:Looks delicious, Ron. Joanne and our granddaughters made a similar dessert for today's cookout. They're called Patriotic Pudding Parfaits, which are made with vanilla pudding, strawberries, blueberries and whipped cream. Enjoy your day!

Thanks, Jimmy!

I saw those photos and it looked like they were having fun. Good combo.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » July 6th, 2015, 3:41 pm

I've been jonesin' for some really authentic southern grits and corn meal, so made the plunge a few minutes ago and have the following on the way from South Carolina. I bought stone ground White Grits and Yellow Corn Meal on Amazon with a Father's Day gift card from Justin (jtx here). Corn meal is not pictured.

Oh, boy! Gastronomical delights are just around the corner. :D

Southern Grits Recipe
July 30, 2014 By Susan

Good ol’ southern grits. You can make them fancy or you can make them plain. This grits recipe is for making plain grits. What that means in “The South” is stone ground grits cooked with water instead of milk, cream or broth. Seasoning would be salt and maybe a little black pepper and you can cook this “any meal food” with butter or add butter after you have served it onto your plate.

Southern Grits Recipe:

Whatever amount of grits you want to cook, the ratio is 4 cups of liquid per cup of grits. Plain grits would be with water so:

1 cup of Palmetto Farms stone ground grits (white or yellow)
4 cups water
1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
2 tablespoons butter

Put everything into a medium sized saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring often. The stone ground grits at the bottom of the pot closest to the heat will want to thicken faster than the rest of the pot so stir it to blend it all back together and smooth out any lumps that may have formed. Once the pot comes to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. This makes quite a few servings. You can put the leftovers in the fridge and warm them up in the microwave or stovetop. I know some pretty fancy restaurants that cook all of their grits ahead of time and warm them up as needed. If you do this leave the butter out of your recipe and add it when warming up.

You can serve this with eggs, bacon and biscuits or just eat it plain. It’s pretty tasty.
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » July 7th, 2015, 9:29 am

One of my favorite dishes is shrimp and grits. There are many variations.
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » July 7th, 2015, 10:13 am

The southern grits give polenta a run for the money.
Bright moments

Return to “The Alley”