Tennis anyone?

Random and varied thoughts & topics
pig pen
Founding Member

Tennis anyone?

Postby pig pen » August 26th, 2013, 8:38 am

The US Open kicks off today so I figured this would be as good a time as any to open a thread about tennis.

On the men's side I think anything other than a Nadal/Djokovich final would be a surprise. Too bad about Federer ending up in Nadal's quarter, being the 7th seed must be a tough pill for him to swallow.

The women's side looks like a ho-hum run to the championship for Serena. There are some good young players coming up but I don't think anyone will challenge her on the big stage. Then again, she has had some pretty disastrous melt-downs in the past so who knows.
"If humans used their tongues for cleaning themselves rather than talking, the world would be a much better place." - Henri, Le Chat Noir
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Re: Tennis anyone?

Postby steve(thelil) » August 26th, 2013, 11:54 am

Good article in yesterday's NYTimes magazine about Federer. It raises the point that with an older player - as with a younger player - it just could be a slump. (On the other hand, he used to reach the semis of EVERY Grand Slam event, so he wasn't exactly prone to slumps. The article also pointed out that Federer's recent bad performances may be the result of back problems. That too can mean old age has caught up with him to the point where he's done winning majors - or can be something he overcomes. The third major point in the article seemed to be that Federer - like Sampras before him- is so great that it may not be wise to bet against him.
mjb
Founding Member

Postby mjb » August 26th, 2013, 12:36 pm

I think Andy Murray has paced himself pretty well since Wimbledon.

He can beat anybody.
pig pen
Founding Member

Postby pig pen » August 27th, 2013, 6:13 am

mjb wrote:I think Andy Murray has paced himself pretty well since Wimbledon.

He can beat anybody.

Right after Wimbledon I would have agreed, he seems to be struggling with his serve during the hardcourt season since then though. Hopefully this is just him not pushing himself until the big tournament, if he was just a step slow or something I might buy that but since it appears to be his serve that worries me a bit more. I'm a big Andy Murray fan and would love to see him beat Djokovic in the semi, just not so sure he's in top form (and hope I'm proven wrong).

I think Murray has a great chance to get at least as far as the semi with (most likely Djokovic) since the highest seed in his quarter is Berdych who I've never been all that impressed by and Wawrinka being the next highest seen (who I think could be a threat if Andy isn't at his best). Djokovic has a much tougher quarter imho with Del Potro lurking.
"If humans used their tongues for cleaning themselves rather than talking, the world would be a much better place." - Henri, Le Chat Noir
jwaggs
Founding Member

Postby jwaggs » January 27th, 2014, 10:26 am

The best backhand won the Australian Open. Wawrinka has a one-handed backhand that goes off like a cannon. The only guy who might have a better one is Gasquet , who can hit a backhand at over 100mph
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » January 27th, 2014, 11:03 am

jwaggs wrote:The best backhand won the Australian Open.

Do you think that's the primary reason that Wawrinka won?
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
jwaggs
Founding Member

Postby jwaggs » January 27th, 2014, 11:05 am

No. He's got a great serve, too. Not sure if he's got a weak shot. I understand his inconsistency is his biggest problem.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » January 27th, 2014, 2:31 pm

I'm happy that Stanislas Wawrinka finally won his 1st Grand Slam title, but sad that the final was marred by Rafael Nadal's back injury and how that changed the match dynamics. Through the pain, even the mindless mid-match booing, Rafa showed his usual grit and determination. In defeat, he displayed both graciousness and sadness.

I'm a fan of both players.

Congratulations, Stanislas!

"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
pig pen
Founding Member

Postby pig pen » January 28th, 2014, 9:49 am

Ron Thorne wrote:I'm a fan of both players.

Congratulations, Stanislas!

Same here!! There is a real sense of sportsmanship among the current crop of stars at the top of the men's game right now that is refreshing.
pig pen
Founding Member

Postby pig pen » July 2nd, 2014, 7:00 am

Wimbledon is into the second week, and what a beginning to that second week!!

Our girl, Genie Bouchard is into the semis. All of the big-name stars are gone on the women's side and all that's left are some great players without all the drama. I love the direction that women's tennis is going now after suffering through the prima donna years.

On the men's side, both Andy Murray and Rafa Nadal out!! Andy wasn't playing great going into Wimbledon but then looked great for the first week so I was surprised at him going out in straight sets. Rafa was even a bigger shock, particularly going out to the 144 ranked player. But what a talent Kyrgios is, he is just a breath of fresh air.

Roger has looked great, but Stan could put an end to that today. If not, I hope he wins it all.

Great tournament and it is starting to look like a changing of the guard in some ways.
jwaggs
Founding Member

Postby jwaggs » February 7th, 2015, 7:58 am

You talking about Stan Wawrinka?

Return to “The Alley”