Are you an early adopter of technology?

Random and varied thoughts & topics
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
steve(thelil)
Founding Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Are you an early adopter of technology?

Postby steve(thelil) » November 19th, 2013, 6:15 am

I am an I amn't.

When it comes to technology that is a replacement for a technology I'm already very involved in, I've been slow.

I was late to CDs (because I was so involved emotionally with my vinyl collection). I was late to iPod because I was committed to my cd collection and therefore content with portable CD players.

On the other hand, I was fairly quick to adopt the Walkman, because it was the first time you could listen to good quality recordings on a very portable device. Although I wasn't a FIRST ADOPTER because I didn't get my first cassette Walkman until after I already had an FM Walkman, which came out later.

I was late to smartphones because I was into my iPod and anti-phone, so a flip phone seemed fine to me. I actually got my first iPhone - a 3GS - when my iPod broke and i needed to replace it.

I was fairly early on the Tablet, because I had heard that the iPad's GarageBand recording studio software would FINALLY make it easy to do multi-track home recording. It's still my main use for the iPad and it's been the technology that I've enjoyed and benefitted from most, I think.

I was early
stonemonkts
Founding Member

Re: Are you an early adopter of technology?

Postby stonemonkts » November 19th, 2013, 6:51 am

I usually wait until the technology is a few years from obsolescence to take the plunge, so no, I am definitely not an early adopter. I was buying 8 tracks in 1978, recording my own cassette tapes up until 2003 or so, and finally purchased a DVD player in 2007?
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » November 19th, 2013, 11:58 am

I am not, but not for one reason. A lot of new technology. seems like hype until I've had a chance to actually use it and see its benefits. The other reason is I'm not is because I prefer to let other people pay money for the privilege of beta-testing. The third reason is because new stuff is usually way overpriced.

For those reason, I probably won't get a next gen consoles until at least next year. On other hand, I can't believe I once thought I needed to own shiny discs to listen to most music.
Monte Smith
Founding Member

Postby Monte Smith » November 20th, 2013, 8:30 am

jwaggs
Founding Member

Postby jwaggs » February 15th, 2015, 9:18 am

Any video game players on here?
BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » February 15th, 2015, 6:26 pm

BFrank
Founding Member

Postby BFrank » February 15th, 2015, 10:40 pm

Definitely not an early adopter for many of the same reasons that sozamora mentioned.
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » February 16th, 2015, 9:59 am

I bought my first computer in 1981, my first Walkman about the same time, iPod when it first came out, cds in early 90s. I have had a smart phone for a couple of ears and have finally figured out how to answer it.
Bright moments
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » February 16th, 2015, 3:56 pm

I remember going to a Newmark & Lewis in 1985 searching for a new cassette recorder and walking out with a JVC CD player. This new techno seemed so fresh at the time. I later found out that the player, and the sound, were far from state of the art but it didn't matter, I dove in head 1st! While I'd always been a music-lover, that CD player began my love affair with audiophile equipment. It seemed logical (still does) that if you loved music, that you should want to hear it sounding its best. Other than that I'd have to admit to being a kind of wait-and-see kind of guy. For every success, LP, cassette & CD for instance, there'd be a few failures, like 8-track, DAT & Beta video. Today, most attempts to 'improve' CD's (DVD audio and even SACD) have totally failed to capture the publics interest. Currently I'm enjoying MP3 but am a complete Neanderthal when it comes to all the computer streaming tech.
Coda
Founding Member

Postby Coda » February 23rd, 2015, 2:18 pm

I've always been an early adopter. I'm currently waiting for this to arrive, due in April:

http://www.amazon.com/oc/echo/ref_=ods_dp_ae

The internet-of-things is going to be huge, and Amazon will be one of the biggest players in this space. They are so far ahead of all cloud companies - like they're 5x the size of their next 5 competitors combined. You would be surprised at how much of your technology runs on their clouds. This Echo is going to be their bridge device into IOT. All my music is up in their cloud too. Echo will see into my collection. If I ask it to play a tune that has musicians X, Y, and Z in it...it will search my files and the web to locate matches. How cool is that?
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » February 23rd, 2015, 3:57 pm

I hope my new Google glasses have that included.
Bright moments
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » February 23rd, 2015, 7:33 pm

"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
jwaggs
Founding Member

Postby jwaggs » March 8th, 2015, 7:25 am

Anybody here into trans cranial direction current stimulation? Or is that considered too old school for early adapters?
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » March 8th, 2015, 8:08 am

Return to “The Alley”