I actually believed..........for way too long.

Random and varied thoughts & topics
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

I actually believed..........for way too long.

Postby steve(thelil) » August 20th, 2013, 4:30 pm

What things did you actually once believe? - either as a kid or for way too long (including things you believed beyond childhood).

Here's what comes to mind for me:

Until I was in my teens I though lightning and thunder were the result of clouds bumping together.(I think I "learned " this from cartoons.)

As a little kid I thought attending the circus meant you had to be shot out of a cannon.

For a while when I would hear about Viet Cong guerillas, I actually I thought the Viet Cong employed gorillas as soldiers.
A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Re: I actually believed..........for way too long.

Postby A. Kingstone » August 21st, 2013, 3:40 am

I always thought quicksand was going to be more of a problem.
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » August 21st, 2013, 4:22 am

When I was a kid I believed everything the government/authorities said. That all changed when Kennedy got whacked. I was 14 years old then.
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ― Frank Sinatra
Jazzooo
Founding Member

Postby Jazzooo » August 21st, 2013, 5:40 am

The first two posts in this thread made me laugh out loud, thanks.

I was with a new girlfriend, only the second sexual relationship of my life. She was 19 and drop dead gorgeous. We were making out and somehow she mentioned that she believed the moon was the other side of the sun. The combination of amazement, pity and "Who cares? Let's have sex!" that I felt was palpable.

Looking inward, I have probably believed that I am somehow special for too long now. It's a tough one to give up.
A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Postby A. Kingstone » August 21st, 2013, 9:08 am

Jazzooo wrote:......................

Looking inward, I have probably believed that I am somehow special for too long now. It's a tough one to give up.

Touche
BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » August 21st, 2013, 9:17 am

A. Kingstone wrote:I always thought quicksand was going to be more of a problem.

Yes indeed!

I clung to the thought that I would like to own a boat for a long time. I'm still hanging on to the idea of my own immortality.
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » August 21st, 2013, 10:04 am

God, that politicians couldn't be bought and that Chef Boyardee was actually good food.
Bright moments
pig pen
Founding Member

Postby pig pen » August 21st, 2013, 10:30 am

I believed for way too long that I could eat and drink whatever I wanted and never gain any weight (it was true until I hit about 30, I didn't accept it as fact until well into my 40s).

Damn, I've been paying for that one for a while now...
"If humans used their tongues for cleaning themselves rather than talking, the world would be a much better place." - Henri, Le Chat Noir
tippy
Founding Member

Postby tippy » August 21st, 2013, 5:08 pm

When I was very young, my mother told me that a I could take a sand dollar to the grocery store and that it was worth a dollar (or more accurately, upon my first seeing and learning about sand dollars on a beach trip, I probably asked her if I could take it to the grocery store for purchases and she answered, "yes"). Anyway, I left this nugget of information unexamined for a long, long time, until sometime in my 20s it occurred to me that I definitely could NOT use a sand dollar like money. (Um, no, I didn't ever actually Try it.)
BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » August 21st, 2013, 5:24 pm

My eyes were going to STAY crossed.
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » August 22nd, 2013, 7:47 am

tippy wrote:When I was very young, my mother told me that a I could take a sand dollar to the grocery store and that it was worth a dollar (or more accurately, upon my first seeing and learning about sand dollars on a beach trip, I probably asked her if I could take it to the grocery store for purchases and she answered, "yes"). Anyway, I left this nugget of information unexamined for a long, long time, until sometime in my 20s it occurred to me that I definitely could NOT use a sand dollar like money. (Um, no, I didn't ever actually Try it.)

I bet you could have talked your way into buying a dollar's worth of sand with it??????
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » August 22nd, 2013, 9:51 am

There are a lot of little English-as-a-second language errors I made well into adulthood. Until my 30s, I would say 'the theater is passing a movie', meaning it is showing or playing a movie. This is due to literal Spanish-to-English translation I made. I was surprised that error was not corrected for so long, and frankly it still sounds right to my ears.
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » August 22nd, 2013, 9:53 am

For a long time, I believed it was normal and accepted to eat hot dogs with mayonnaise. I still do eat them that way regardless of the consensus.
stonemonkts
Founding Member

Postby stonemonkts » August 22nd, 2013, 9:56 am

Been wracking my brain to think of something and I finally did. For a long time I trusted and believed that the police were always there to help you, and were the opposite of criminals. I would say from age zero up to about age 15 or so.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » August 22nd, 2013, 12:38 pm

sozamora wrote:For a long time, I believed it was normal and accepted to eat hot dogs with mayonnaise. I still do eat them that way regardless of the consensus.

Man, even though I'm a real fan of mayonnaise, I've never done that! :?

There are only two brands worth eating, Hellmann's/Best Foods & Kraft. No, I'll never substitute Miracle Whip Salad Dressing. That's definitely not normal.
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » August 22nd, 2013, 1:21 pm

Ron Thorne wrote:Man, even though I'm a real fan of mayonnaise, I've never done that! :?

See, I just don't see what's so strange about it, but I mention it to anyone - especially folks from the East Coast - and they look at me like I killed somebody.

There are only two brands worth eating, Hellmann's/Best Foods & Kraft. No, I'll never substitute Miracle Whip Salad Dressing. That's definitely not normal.

Same here. You know what else I don't put Miracle Whip Salad Dressing on? Salads.
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » August 22nd, 2013, 2:57 pm

In the West Best Foods is than name for Hellman's - same stuff. Good stuff.
Bright moments
uli
Founding Member

Postby uli » August 26th, 2013, 5:22 am

For about 15 years I believed that I remembered the the store/atelier of a painter from my hometown because of the inscription which I thought wrongly was "Was riecht denn hier so angenehm nach Lack und Kleister, Friedrich Traffeler, Malermeister". today I saw a picture on the net and the inscription in reality is even better: "Hier herrschen Schönheit und Geschmack. Hier riecht es angenehm nach Lack. Hier wird gemalt mit Oel und Kleister: Friedrich Traffelet Malermeister

The correct inscription is a variation on a Whilhelm Busch verse from "Maler Klecksel" which I am now reading and is a hoot.

hornplayer
Founding Member

Postby hornplayer » September 11th, 2013, 5:37 am

uli wrote:For about 15 years I believed that I remembered the the store/atelier of a painter from my hometown because of the inscription which I thought wrongly was "Was riecht denn hier so angenehm nach Lack und Kleister, Friedrich Traffeler, Malermeister". today I saw a picture on the net and the inscription in reality is even better: "Hier herrschen Schönheit und Geschmack. Hier riecht es angenehm nach Lack. Hier wird gemalt mit Oel und Kleister: Friedrich Traffelet Malermeister

The correct inscription is a variation on a Whilhelm Busch verse from "Maler Klecksel" which I am now reading and is a hoot.

Uli: traduisez en anglais, s'il vous plait! (My German is abysmal to non-existent.)
Life's short, drink well.
Hornplayer
www.feastivals.com/blog
Tom Storer
Éminence Grise

Postby Tom Storer » September 11th, 2013, 6:08 am

For a long time I thought it was somehow important what position I took on a political or social issue. Similarly, I felt it was vital that I have a position on any political or social issue that came up. I gradually lost that conviction and can now be apathetic or cheerfully ignorant without feeling that this is wrong.

For a long time I thought I was doing a public service to humanity by correcting other people's spelling or grammatical errors. Now I understand that I do it to annoy. (Except when I am paid to do it.)
Praise Cheeses!
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » September 11th, 2013, 6:40 am

I finally remembered something I actually believed for way too long.

When we were kids my siblings and I were terrified of dragonflies. We called them "sewingneedles" because our mother told us that they would sew our mouths shut if we talked too much or too loud and if we talked back to our parents or any other adult. Whenever we saw one of these "sewingneedles" we would either run away or keep our mouths tightly closed until it flew away. It wasn't easy for a blabbermouth like me to keep my mouth shut for a whole minute until the thing flew away. To this day I chuckle to myself whenever I see a dragonfly. And...I think fondly of my mother.
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ― Frank Sinatra
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » September 11th, 2013, 6:54 am

Jimmy Cantiello wrote:I finally remembered something I actually believed for way too long.

When we were kids my siblings and I were terrified of dragonflies. We called them "sewingneedles" because our mother told us that they would sew our mouths shut if we talked too much or too loud and if we talked back to our parents or any other adult. Whenever we saw one of these "sewingneedles" we would either run away or keep our mouths tightly closed until it flew away. It wasn't easy for a blabbermouth like me to keep my mouth shut for a whole minute until the thing flew away. To this day I chuckle to myself whenever I see a dragonfly. And...I think fondly of my mother.

As a kid we called them dyning needles. Even though I think I knew the better term was "darning needles" I didn't make the connection between darning and sewing. It would have taken a killer dragonfly to sew my mouth shut.
Mr. Met
Founding Member

Postby Mr. Met » September 12th, 2013, 4:36 pm

I still believe that "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" is one of the greatest movies, like ever.
mjb
Founding Member

Postby mjb » September 17th, 2013, 12:14 pm

" ... they said nobody would ever go broke publishing photos of women urinating"
jwaggs
Founding Member

Postby jwaggs » February 4th, 2015, 3:37 pm

That I'd have to shave my palms

Return to “The Alley”