NBA Basketball

Random and varied thoughts & topics
Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Re: NBA Basketball

Postby Mike Schwartz » March 25th, 2015, 4:53 am

uli wrote:you are right, thelil. the last and only scoring leader after Jordan who also won the championship was Shaq wih the lakers 1999 - 00. MJ was the leading scorer during all six seasons he won the rings. maybe it has something to do with the triangle. go Melo!

ps entertaining game on now between GS and Blazers. two of my favorite teams

Warriors take Pacific Division for the first time in 39 years!
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » March 25th, 2015, 6:22 am

uli wrote:you are right, thelil. the last and only scoring leader after Jordan who also won the championship was Shaq wih the lakers 1999 - 00. MJ was the leading scorer during all six seasons he won the rings. maybe it has something to do with the triangle. go Melo!

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that Jordan and Shaq were also great defensive players, team players and rebounders for the positions when they won the scoring titles. They were not at all one dimensional players and their teammates were more effective when they were on the court rather than less effective.

Just heard a great stat.

The SPURS, defending champs and finalists in 2 straight years have the FEWEST isolation plays of any team.

By contrast, The Knicks, whose offense is focused on isolations for Carmelo Anthony SUCK. The Lakers over the last years have focused their offense around Kobe isolations and they have SUCKED.

PS. All-NBA players Gasol and Howard had by far their most ineffective years when playing alongside post 2011 Kobe.

Not Melo! Not Kobe!
uli
Founding Member

Postby uli » March 25th, 2015, 11:38 am

Mike Schwartz wrote:

ps entertaining game on now between GS and Blazers. two of my favorite teams

Warriors take Pacific Division for the first time in 39 years!

yes. go warriors! i also like the blazers a lot. last nite they were able to keep it close until late in the 3rd despite the absence of aldridge, Batum and Matthews.

thelil i am tired of your Kobe and Melo hate. the triangle is not a system to focus on isolation plays but to get players preferrably yor best scorers in scoring position.

during the season the knicks won 54 games (their by far best season in 15 or more years) the team showed excellent ball movement. melo always played great with team usa.

Kobe is not a one dimensional player.he is a great defender as well i blame the fact that howard and gasol had a bad year in their last year with the Lakers on your man d"antoni, as one dimensional a coach as i know. Gasol also had his best years so far (two rings iirc) with Kobe. go bulls!

nobody doubts that the spurs are an excellent example that team ball, ball movement etc wins championships, did you know that last year when they beat the heat in five games in the final LeBron was the heats top scorer in every game while the spurs shared that honor between Duncan, Leonard and Parker.

your man lebron better wins it all this year or i will start talking about him as post 2014 Lebron.
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » March 26th, 2015, 7:46 am

The fact remains that in the last 5 years no player played as well with Kobe as the best they've played without him. And he's a prick who throws his teammates under the bus and demanded trades publicly when he didn't think the team had enough talent.

And the stats don't lie that in clutch (end of game situations when the score is close) he shoots a LOUSEY shooting percentage (unlike Carmelo, btw) I do agree, however, that he used to be a great defensive player, and that one can't expect someone his age to still be one.

http://chasing23.com/kobe-bryant-vs-leb ... ing-shots/

The fact also remains, that nobody who has played over 50 games in the playoffs has a worse Won Lost percentage than Melo.
After this many years, that can't be a total coincidence.

Look, he is a talented player, no doubt. But what I rail against is people thinking that because he is a great scorer and great at hitting DIFFICULT shots, he is someone who is great in the most important way - making his team better.

If you forget individual stats and watch great teams, it is pretty clear that the key to a great team is not having guys who hit the tough shots as much as a team that plays together well so as to get THE MOST EASY SHOTS. Neither Kobe or Melo are especially good at contributing to their team as a whole getting the most easy shots.

BTW, I AGREE that Lebron is not the same player as he was. (BTW, he's already played more minutes than Jordan did in his entire career, and has been doing it on a body that probably averaged 270 lbs. The wear and tear on his knees and back was inevitable)

Lebron no longer has the superhuman ability/endurance to guard the opposing team's best player regardless off position whenever necessary. In the past, he shut down Derrick Rose in his prime in the playoffs. That aint happening any more. And shooting percentage is down. His rebounds are down. And he has been doing isolations much more than in the past. He still MIGHT be the most valuable player in the league in the sense that none of the other players on his team had ever played on a winning team before, and with Lebron, the team is now a dynamo (and Kevin Love has been unhealthy with back stiffness all year, and not nearly as productive as in the past)

But people focus on what he can't do as well as he used to, so he will not win the MVP. I think Curry and Harden are both very deserving. I haven't heard it said, but Harden's game reminds me of Jordan's more than anyone else's does.

PS. last night the Cavs looked like the kind of spacing and ball movement team I want them to be. ALL of their 3rd quarter baskets were on assists.
uli
Founding Member

Postby uli » March 26th, 2015, 6:19 pm

cool not everybody can be like mike or lebron.

did not see the cavs game last nite but when spurs/okc game turned int a blow out i checked the box score against my grizzlies grequently it looks indeed impressive in terms of distribution of scoring and assists among their starters. they gotta be one of las vegas favorites to take it all. i am still hoping the bulls can get it all together before the playoffs start.

as for mvp i agree with k. love and my choice would be westbrook as well.
uli
Founding Member

Postby uli » April 9th, 2015, 6:09 pm

steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » April 10th, 2015, 7:05 am

It seems to me that the Spurs should be favorites to win it all again - assuming they stay healthy. The way the played in the finals last year was as good team basketball as I've seen in recent memory. And while they were not the same team for much of this season, they seem to be now. They've won something like 10 of 11, with some easy wins against very good teams, including the Warriors. And from what I read and hear, their lackluster play earlier in the year had a lot to do with the health of Tony Parker and Kawhi Leonard. And I also understand that they are now in top form, with Kawhi playing at the level of his finals MVP performance, but with BETTER outside shooting.

That said, the Warriors have been an amazing team all season, and their nucleus is young and healthy, so maybe it's a tossup.
As much as I root for Lebron and the Cavs, I doubt they can play the unselfish ball it will take to win against either team (and maybe the Hawks as well). When they play selfishly they can really suck, as both Lebron and Irving are VERY streaky shooters.

Also, the Cavs have health issues as well. Kevin Love's back has really affected his game this year. Not at all the same player. Even though the media is aware of his back issues, it choses to cover sports more as soap opera than athletics. It's always a question of whether the other Cavs like or trust him and/or whether "he really wants it." All bullshit, IMO. Similarly, the media tried to make a soap opera about Lebron's 2 week rest and rehab this year. Whether he was happy or emotionally burnt out or whatever, I do know that he had been playing like a guy with a bad back and bad knee before the break. He was playing below the rim with NO explosion and when ballhandiling, his "handle" was really poor. He was turning over the ball right and left and it really looked like he was stiff and unable to bend an flex in the way a world class athlete has to in order to be effective.
uli
Founding Member

Postby uli » April 16th, 2015, 5:15 am

Now that the playoffs are upon us this all has me extremely exited.

as we know the west is so competitive, every first round matchup is ineresting to say the least clippers vs san a. i take the spurs but it won"t be easy. of my faves the thunder did not make it. besides golden state my other two teams meet in the first round. a toss up for me hope it goes to seven i also hope that my warriors beat nop in seven. wih all the fantastc stats i've read about AnthonyDavis i have not seen him that much on tv.shoul be a fun series with all the teams so close there has to be,one upset, no? mavs over houston may be it

only two of my faves have made it. bulls and bucks meet in te first roundl i think the bulls will make it and meet the cavs in the second. the other side not "von pappe" either as we usedta to say. hawks over nets imho. toronto wizzards a toss for me,

gobullsgobucksgowarriorsgoblazersgogrizzlies!
uli
Founding Member

Postby uli » May 9th, 2015, 4:30 pm

steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » May 10th, 2015, 5:07 pm

Stunning how much less predictable the second round has been than the first. The way the Grizzlies played against the Warriors last game, I would not be stunned if they win in it all. There defense was incredible, and Golden State just could not get nearly as many good shots as they usually do. And it shook their confidence, which made them more erratic on the open looks they did get.

I don't see how the Cavs can win it all. It's sad for me to see Lebron taking so many shots. Unless he somehow gets his shooting touch back and/or Kyrie gets fully healthy, they don't seem to have a recipe for a championship.

Clips have looked great too. And the Wizards? Is something special happening there?

Return to “The Alley”