What Movies Are You Watching?

Random and varied thoughts & topics
Chazro
Founding Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: What Movies Are You Watching?

Postby Chazro » February 8th, 2015, 4:27 pm

I just came into a stack of illegally recorded flicks. Begs the question, if I didn't do the recording, am I wrong to watch the discs? Obviously, I say no. Especially as they were a gift from a friend. So I didn't do the recording (the crime), AND I got them for free!! Check out this list!:

Inherent Vice
Horns
Transformers-Age Of Extinction
St. Vincent
Birdman
Guardians Of The Galaxy
The Giver
The Judge
Nightcrawler
American Sniper
Everly
The Imitation Game
Once Upon A Time In Queens
Interstellar
The Gambler
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Fury
The Equalizer
Jersey Boys

What a score!!! And these weren't recorded by some guy in a theater using his phone, the majority are in High-def, I guess they were burned from review discs or something as sometimes little banners pop up from time. AND the best part is the dude told me to make a list of what I'd like to see!! I know it's illegal and wrong, I know......my list is close to 2 pages long at this point!!!;)
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » February 9th, 2015, 6:52 am

My step-son is a member of the Screen Actors Guild. SAG sends him copies of all movies up for one of their awards. All members receive these copies. They are instructed to view the movies and then vote on them. After viewing, members are told to destroy the dvds. No lending out is allowed. Yeah, right. Recently my wife and I enjoyed watching "Birdman" and "The Imitation Game".
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ― Frank Sinatra
Jazzooo
Founding Member

Postby Jazzooo » March 31st, 2015, 9:18 am

A warning, as opposed to a review: Chappie, the new film by the once-promising director of District 9, just blows. It's as if the script was merely taken from an outline (written by an idiot) and handed to performers as the camera was rolling, so no one had any time to think. Worst movie of the year so far.
A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Postby A. Kingstone » March 31st, 2015, 2:38 pm

stonemonkts
Founding Member

Postby stonemonkts » May 8th, 2015, 9:58 pm

Loved Birdman, hated Interstellar (don't even get me started).
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » May 9th, 2015, 1:32 am

stonemonkts
Founding Member

Postby stonemonkts » May 9th, 2015, 5:35 am

Hi Rita - thanks for doing the heavy lifting. I agree with all that, and would add a bunch more about how it was far too family-oriented in terms of style (aka treacly), not to mention the "science" part of the fiction was muddled nonsense. My beef is really with Nolan. I loved Memento so much that I have given this director the benefit of the doubt far too many times. I hated Inception. To me, he is spending a ton of money just to produce inscrutable baffling bullshit. I'm glad others are entertained though.

Birdman is something else entirely. A manic roller coaster ride through the eyes of the Keaton character, full of wit and brevity. Ultimately it was more about celebrity narcissism and the folly that comes with aging. That isn't a spoiler. I hope.
stonemonkts
Founding Member

Postby stonemonkts » May 9th, 2015, 5:39 am

I truly miss when the boards had more active participation. I sometimes enjoy reading stuff other people post on Facebook, but I still feel clumsy and awkward there personally. The posts that turn into mini threads are enjoyable. Videos of cats frying eggs, not so much.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » May 9th, 2015, 2:35 pm

"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
LennyH

Postby LennyH » May 10th, 2015, 4:58 pm

stonemonkts
Founding Member

Postby stonemonkts » May 11th, 2015, 3:38 pm

jtx
Commodore

Postby jtx » May 11th, 2015, 8:23 pm

I also found Inception less than satisfying. Looper has been on my need-to-watch list since it came out, but I haven't gotten to it yet. And speaking of time travel movies starring Bruce Willis, I enjoyed 12 Monkeys way back when. That and Dark City were the first DVDs (along with Neil Finn's Sessions at West 54th) I purchased when DVDs arrived on the scene.
jtx
Commodore

Postby jtx » May 11th, 2015, 8:30 pm

Jazzooo
Founding Member

Postby Jazzooo » May 24th, 2015, 5:28 pm

I liked very much While We're Young, a dramady with Ben Stiller, Naomi Watts and Charles Grodin--great to see him again.

Really enjoyed parts of Inherent Vice, but in the end a frustrating, failed takeoff on The Big Lebowski.
Jazzooo
Founding Member

Postby Jazzooo » May 26th, 2015, 5:55 am

Tomorrowland--fun and imaginative, a tad too long.
LennyH

Postby LennyH » May 26th, 2015, 5:51 pm

Jazzooo
Founding Member

Postby Jazzooo » May 27th, 2015, 3:54 am

A southern CA stoner who is constantly lighting up gets sucked into a mysterious missing persons case, not to mention getting cold cocked every now and then? And there is a ton of money involved? And he becomes a suspect while he's trying to crack the case? And there's more to the disappearance than meets the eye? With a lot of '70s rock playing all the time?

Sounds like Lebowski to me.
Mr. Met
Founding Member

Postby Mr. Met » May 27th, 2015, 6:11 am

I saw one of the scariest horror/psychological thriller films I've ever had the joy of watching:

The Babadook.

A woman whose husband died in a car crash as they were on the way to the hospital to give birth to her son lives with her boy, a high-needs, smart but troubled child.

They find a book named "The Babadook" in their home and they read it. It's more of a creepy, Godawful book than a kid's book. The boy then thinks The Babadook is coming to haunt them.

The actress playing the mother and the actor playing the son are wonderful.

I give it Five Thornes!
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » May 27th, 2015, 8:58 am

Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » May 27th, 2015, 4:40 pm

Mr. Met
Founding Member

Postby Mr. Met » May 27th, 2015, 6:21 pm

I also saw The Avengers: Age of Ultron.

I was a big comic book geek growing up, so it was an immense pleasure watching Thor, Hulk, Iron Man and the rest of the Avengers band together to save the planet.

The computer/technological element was exceptional.

Story/plot: Four Thornes
Technological wizardry: Five Thornes
Overall: 4.5 Thornes

And Scarlett Johansson? Ten Thornes!
LennyH

Postby LennyH » May 28th, 2015, 5:45 pm

Gentle Giant
Founding Member

Postby Gentle Giant » June 26th, 2015, 10:50 am

I have seen Love & Mercy, the Brian Wilson biopic, three times already. Yes, I'm a Brian nut but this is a very cool film, imaginative directed and edited with wonderful performances and best of all, it's highly accurate (not completely, but much better than average). Highly recommended.

Mr. Met
Founding Member

Postby Mr. Met » July 2nd, 2015, 3:24 pm

I saw Hot Tub Time Machine 2, which doesn't even get half a Thorne.

The first one got 4.5 Thornes, so this was truly a disappointment.

In ten minutes, I'm heading out to see Terminator: Genesys. This will hopefully be worth six Thornes and a half.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » July 2nd, 2015, 4:31 pm

Do we need to generate a new icon for Thorne rankings of movies and stuff? One of these, perhaps? :thinking:

Two of them look like very dangerous dunce caps!

Return to “The Alley”