Coffee & Tea

Random and varied thoughts & topics
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Coffee & Tea

Postby Ron Thorne » July 26th, 2013, 3:20 pm

What are your choices for coffee and/or tea? Brewing methods & equipment?

I like to grind my own coffee beans with a relatively inexpensive Capresso burr grinder. I use either my trusty 9-cup Bialetti Moka stovetop coffee maker or my Bodum French Press. When I'm making coffee only for me, it's usually the Bialetti. Quick, simple and delicious. With several local coffee roasters to choose from, it's an abundance of riches.

"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Re: Coffee & Tea

Postby A. Kingstone » July 27th, 2013, 10:52 am

I grind and french press (never bench press).

Beans I'm not too fussy about.
makpjazz57
Founding Member

Re: Coffee & Tea

Postby makpjazz57 » July 28th, 2013, 10:06 am

It is OK to hate me :D but our household looooves Starbucks French or Italian Roast. When we can get to Trader Joe's, they have a much less expensive and almost as good French Roast offering. Also, believe it or not, Gevalia now has a line of coffees that are really good and yes, we really enjoy their French Roast. As you can tell, we prefer dark roasts and will happily entertain any recommendations of dark roast coffees (or cawwwfeee) as we folks from originally NJ might say!
sozamora
Founding Member

Re: The Coffee & Tea Thread

Postby sozamora » July 28th, 2013, 10:54 am

I drink coffee everyday but I've never been a Coffee guy. I'm good with whatever keeps me awake. I do love me my ca phe sua da when I hit the pho joint, though. They usually use Café Du Monde.

BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » July 28th, 2013, 11:13 am

makpjazz57 wrote:It is OK to hate me :D but our household looooves Starbucks French or Italian Roast. When we can get to Trader Joe's, they have a much less expensive and almost as good French Roast offering. Also, believe it or not, Gevalia now has a line of coffees that are really good and yes, we really enjoy their French Roast. As you can tell, we prefer dark roasts and will happily entertain any recommendations of dark roast coffees (or cawwwfeee) as we folks from originally NJ might say!

I really, really care about my coffee. (As mentioned in another thread, I grew up in the early 1970s under the tutelage of Alfred Peet.). I make it a point not to patronize S****ucks because "I want my grandchildren to have a choice where they buy coffee". (Starbucks has bought up so many competitors.)

That said, Starbucks coffee in certain blends can be absolutely fine.
makpjazz57
Founding Member

Postby makpjazz57 » July 28th, 2013, 12:20 pm

Forgot about Peets...thanks, we LOVE Peets' French Roast, too! Didn't know that Starbucks did that. Do you mean they put smaller, "Mom and Pop" type coffee places out of business?

Marla
BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » July 28th, 2013, 1:00 pm

Starbucks puts some out of business, where interest in "keeping it rea/local" is weak. But they buy up competitors too (e..g. Seattles Best, Ooh-La-La in San Francisco).

I say that recognizing that Peet's, after resisting innumerable attempts by its offspring, Starbucks, allowed itself to be bought out.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » July 28th, 2013, 1:29 pm

makpjazz57 wrote:Forgot about Peets...thanks, we LOVE Peets' French Roast, too! Didn't know that Starbucks did that. Do you mean they put smaller, "Mom and Pop" type coffee places out of business?

Marla

Starbucks has a reputation of being pretty ruthless in their business practices, Marla. I didn't like it when they bought their only real competition in Seattle, Seattle's Best Coffee years ago. It still pisses me off to think about it, and they weren't a "Mom & Pop" operation, either.

Here's some info which might better explain some of their operational tactics. Click on the two links below.

Starbucks Workers Union

WSJ Story
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » July 28th, 2013, 1:37 pm

Speaking of Seattle's Best, I could swear I read somewhere that McDonalds coffee is, in fact, Seattle's Best. Any way, when it comes to coffee I like the darker roasts. Maybe I've just been brainwashed by Juan Valdez but I prefer Colombian coffee.
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ― Frank Sinatra
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » July 28th, 2013, 2:41 pm

Jimmy Cantiello wrote:Speaking of Seattle's Best, I could swear I read somewhere that McDonalds coffee is, in fact, Seattle's Best. Any way, when it comes to coffee I like the darker roasts. Maybe I've just been brainwashed by Juan Valdez but I prefer Colombian coffee.

You are almost correct, Jimmy! When Starbucks bought SBC in 2003, they kept the name, and, ostensibly, their roasters, blends and methods. Ownership is undisputed, however. :x

Yep, they launched a deal with Burger King (and others) in 2010, responding to the success of McDonald's McCafe. It was a bit of a shot across the bow of the fast food restaurant.

Click below for more:

http://www.time.com/time/business/artic ... 13,00.html
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » July 28th, 2013, 4:24 pm

Thanks for that link, Ron. Interesting reading. In the interest of full disclosure, one of my brothers-in-law and sister, of course, own fourteen, yes, 14, Dunkin Donuts. So big brother has access to free coffee for the forseeable future. ;)
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ― Frank Sinatra
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » July 29th, 2013, 1:48 am

Ron Thorne wrote:Brewing methods & equipment?
the pour-over method

David Beckett
Founding Member

Postby David Beckett » July 29th, 2013, 5:17 am

I too avoid Starbucks at all costs, for the same reason I avoid SprawlMart.

If I need coffee on the road and haven't brought it, I happily buy a pail of it - black - at Dunkin Donuts. I think thier regular coffee is quite good. And while I've tried, I can't even begin to make it at home from DD beans. I think they filter/treat/process thier water pretty carefully...that's my guess...I'd be very interested to know for sure...

But what I drink daily is Cafe Bustelo. Bustelo seems to me, for my tastes, to be the sweet spot: yes, if I had a lot of time, and had more tolerance for fussing with equipment, I could make better coffee. Although I'm not entirely sure who's selling really superior beans these days. But with Bustelo I can make coffee that's 90% as good, for my taste, at a tiny fraction of the cost and fuss.

I really dig getting good coffee when I'm out at a cafe or restaurant, mainly for the contrast/variety. But for keeping my head on straight on a daily basis - I've never found anything to approach Bustelo.

DB

#GotChoro ?
Burlington VT Realtor.
Radio Broadcaster.
A friend to Jazz since 1982.
Obsessed with CHORO, powered by Bustelo.
askdavidbeckett.com
@DavidBeckettVT
David Beckett
Founding Member

Postby David Beckett » July 29th, 2013, 5:19 am

Jimmy Cantiello wrote:Thanks for that link, Ron. Interesting reading. In the interest of full disclosure, one of my brothers-in-law and sister, of course, own fourteen, yes, 14, Dunkin Donuts. So big brother has access to free coffee for the forseeable future. ;)

Hi Jimmy!

I'd love to know what DD does to it's water at thier stores if you can tell me after you see my post here...

Best,
David (The poster formerly known as Chaz Longue)
Burlington VT Realtor.
Radio Broadcaster.
askdavidbeckett.com
@DavidBeckettVT
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » July 29th, 2013, 5:33 am

David Beckett wrote:
Jimmy Cantiello wrote:Thanks for that link, Ron. Interesting reading. In the interest of full disclosure, one of my brothers-in-law and sister, of course, own fourteen, yes, 14, Dunkin Donuts. So big brother has access to free coffee for the forseeable future. ;)

Hi Jimmy!

I'd love to know what DD does to it's water at thier stores if you can tell me after you see my post here...

Best,

That's an interesting question, David. As far as I know they don't do anything to the water. I'll have to give my bro-in-law a call and ask him what the deal is. I'll get back to you with the scoop.
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » July 29th, 2013, 8:13 am

David Beckett's signature is where he wrote:powered by Bustelo

Me too! (It's an espresso, but I brew it as regular coffee.)

And now I see that David also wrote about Bustelo in #14.
makpjazz57
Founding Member

Postby makpjazz57 » July 29th, 2013, 7:04 pm

Ron,

Thanks; that is some ugly stuff regarding Starbucks and while we do always try to buy other brands, maybe we need to think about stopping completely.

Marla
tippy
Founding Member

Postby tippy » July 29th, 2013, 7:11 pm

Drip with a paper filter. The paper filters out cholesterol boosting toxins. French presses do not, but that is not why I don't like French press coffee. I don't like the silty texture. My druthers would be an Americano, in other words espresso. But I ain't gonna make it. I just woke up for Pete's sake.
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » August 1st, 2013, 4:29 am

David Beckett wrote:
Hi Jimmy!

Best,

Jimmy Cantiello wrote:That's an interesting question, David. As far as I know they don't do anything to the water. I'll have to give my bro-in-law a call and ask him what the deal is. I'll get back to you with the scoop.

David, I spoke with my bro-in-law about your question. He told me you are correct, there will definitely be a difference between the Dunkin Donuts brand coffee you buy at a DD franchise and the DD coffee you buy at a supermarket or other non-DD outlet. He gave me several reasons why the coffee tastes better at a DD.

One, they utilize huge water filters for all water that goes into the coffee brewers.

Two, the water is kept in a heated state even before brewing begins and once the brewing cycle begins the water is heated between 196 degrees and 204 degrees. Most non-commercial/home coffee makers supposedly only heat the water to about 140 degrees.

Three, the DD coffee at a franchise is a result of using a seven screen method of sorting the beans. The DD coffee purchased elsewhere is the result of using a two screen method which allows smaller, lower quality beans to remain in the mix. So the DD coffee that you bought at the supermarket is not the same DD coffee you get at a franchise (caveat emptor).

Four, the grind size and the fact that you receive your coffee, on average, no longer than six minutes after brewing contributes to the overall taste of the product.

Hope that cleared things up somewhat.
David Beckett
Founding Member

Postby David Beckett » August 1st, 2013, 4:43 am

Jimmy Cantiello wrote:
David Beckett wrote:
Hi Jimmy!

Best,

That's an interesting question, David. As far as I know they don't do anything to the water. I'll have to give my bro-in-law a call and ask him what the deal is. I'll get back to you with the scoop.

David, I spoke with my bro-in-law about your question. He told me you are correct, there will definitely be a difference between the Dunkin Donuts brand coffee you buy at a DD franchise and the DD coffee you buy at a supermarket or other non-DD outlet. He gave me several reasons why the coffee tastes better at a DD.

One, they utilize huge water filters for all water that goes into the coffee brewers.

Two, the water is kept in a heated state even before brewing begins and once the brewing cycle begins the water is heated between 196 degrees to 204 degrees. Most non-commercial/home coffee makers supposedly only heat the water to about 140 degrees.

Three, the DD coffee at a franchise is a result of using a seven screen method of sorting the beans. The DD coffee purchased elsewhere is the result of using a two screen method which allows smaller lower quality beans to remain in the mix. So the DD coffee that you bought at the supermarket is not the same DD coffee you get at a franchise (caveat emptor).

Four, the grind size and the fact that you receive your coffee, on average, no longer than six minutes after brewing contributes to the overall taste of the product.

Hope that cleared things up somewhat.[/quote]

Thanks very much, Jimmy

I do think it's the filtering and preparation then... I bought beans at a DD shop, but couldn't even get close to coffee like the stuff they put in a cup and hand over the counter hot and black at the same shop.

It makes sense. They've always made very good coffee and obviously it's brought them success.
It remains a complete mystery to me that Starbucks has been such a big hit... I can barely drink most of thier expensive brewed coffee. Occasionally I've had good coffee from thier beans, but almost by accident.
I do have a theory though. I think they select for high caffeine content. The stuff they serve always seems to have that going for it. It carries a huge payload. That much be part of thier enormous success. That's my guess...
Burlington VT Realtor.
Radio Broadcaster.
askdavidbeckett.com
@DavidBeckettVT
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » August 1st, 2013, 5:20 am

Btw, Frank also told me DD utilizes just two roasting companies to roast their coffee beans. One is located in the U.S. and one is located in Canada.

Also, he told me that DD has a "use by" date on all their coffee. Corporate mandates that all coffee not used by the date stated on the bag has to be sold to Folgers. Folgers re-packages that coffee under their name and sells it. Again, caveat emptor.
BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » August 1st, 2013, 7:28 am

It's almost like I'm changing topics here. Instant coffee. Yeah, yeah, yeah. But, since I travel 24/7/365, instant is a reality sometimes. 4:00AM in Dakar or Tblisi.

Cafe Bustelo. That's the stuff. http://www.cafebustelo.com/es/coffees/instant-coffee/
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » August 1st, 2013, 9:15 am

I just finished my third cuppa (Trader Joe's Ethiopian) and my heart is now started. Coffee will not darken my lips until tomorrow morning.
Bright moments
BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » August 1st, 2013, 10:19 am

Speaking of Ethiopia(n), What a fantastic place for coffee. It's not just a drink. It's a whole ceremony - to my mind, even more elaborate and revered than tea in Japan...though not as formal and rigid.

Would I say it's worth a trip to Addis? Mmmm, I wouldn't go that far! The coffee is fresh, but often less-than-fabulous.
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » August 2nd, 2013, 1:49 pm

When I was a kid livin' in da Bronx, there was a huge Bustelo plant 5-6 blocks away from where I lived! Every day at a certain time they'd roast and the entire neighborhood smelled of delicious fresh-roasted. I remember taking a class trip to the plant and coming home with a bag of freshly-ground Bustelo for my folks. My parents made coffee every day and my dad had the queer habit of having to have a cup just before (!?) going to bed every night. I only drink coffee once or twice a week but when I do, it's ALWAYS Bustelo, it's in my genes! As far as going to one of these so-called coffee joints to get a mochalocawakajawaka, no thanks, if I want a coffee-flavored milkshake I'll go to a baskin-robbins!;)

Return to “The Alley”