Coffee & Tea

Random and varied thoughts & topics
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Re: Coffee & Tea

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » August 2nd, 2013, 2:03 pm

Damn, never had a mochalocawakajawaka. Sounds interesting, though.
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ― Frank Sinatra
Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Re: The Coffee & Tea Thread

Postby Mike Schwartz » August 2nd, 2013, 3:14 pm

Chazro wrote:When I was a kid livin' in da Bronx, there was a huge Bustelo plant 5-6 blocks away from where I lived! Every day at a certain time they'd roast and the entire neighborhood smelled of delicious fresh-roasted. I remember taking a class trip to the plant and coming home with a bag of freshly-ground Bustelo for my folks. My parents made coffee every day and my dad had the queer habit of having to have a cup just before (!?) going to bed every night. I only drink coffee once or twice a week but when I do, it's ALWAYS Bustelo, it's in my genes! As far as going to one of these so-called coffee joints to get a mochalocawakajawaka, no thanks, if I want a coffee-flavored milkshake I'll go to a baskin-robbins!;)

I may be wrong, as it's been a long time, but when we would drive on the Major Deegan Expressway through the Bronx would enjoy the aroma of coffee roasting may have been that facility.

We lived in Queens, and would frequently drive by Silvercup bakery [now some sort of studio complex]....the smell of freshly baked bread to die for!
walto
Founding Member

Postby walto » August 2nd, 2013, 3:22 pm

Just read this article about how dark roasting takes the caffeine out of coffee, but that Starbucks (which allegedly over-roasts everything), still has a ton of caffeine in its coffees, so I didn't get it.

And then there's the really bad news. :cry: My old Cuisinart burr grinder, crashed and burned this morning--after about three years of daily faithful service. Bought something on Ebay immediately that cost $176 new (including shipping). Can't remember the make, but it has a glass (rather than plastic) bin, so I'm hoping there won't be quite the static electricity struggle when brushing the stuff out.
Surely not all of a sudden. Less than half of a sudden at best.
jtx
Commodore

Postby jtx » August 4th, 2013, 1:33 am

I agree on the Bustelo. Very good coffee. It's available at a reasonable price at Target in California. It is in my regular coffee brand rotation. Local LA Gaviña espresso roast is also quite good.
BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » August 4th, 2013, 8:12 am

I'm gratified that so far, no one has dignified K-Cups with a mention in a coffee discussion.
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » August 4th, 2013, 9:25 am

I like that Japanese powdered green tea. It has a different flavor from other green tea I've had, but I can't describe it. I know there's an elaborate ceremony that goes along, but screw ceremony - I just want my tea.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » August 4th, 2013, 8:50 pm

walto wrote:
And then there's the really bad news. :cry: My old Cuisinart burr grinder, crashed and burned this morning--after about three years of daily faithful service. Bought something on Ebay immediately that cost $176 new (including shipping). Can't remember the make, but it has a glass (rather than plastic) bin, so I'm hoping there won't be quite the static electricity struggle when brushing the stuff out.

You paid $176.00 for a new grinder and don't remember the make? :? Wow.

Sounds like it might be a KitchenAid Pro Line.
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
walto
Founding Member

Postby walto » August 5th, 2013, 3:13 am

If it had been Kitchen Aid, I'd have remembered, because I already have a Kitchen Aid fridge and coffee maker. It's this:

moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » August 5th, 2013, 9:37 am

We have a Cuisinart burr which seems to do the job. Our experience has been that burr grinders die in a couple of years.

We have Bodum cups and glasses so we may try one of theirs when this one kicks off.
Bright moments
mjb
Founding Member

Postby mjb » August 6th, 2013, 7:34 am

I got given a Jura J9 - Image - it is astonishingly good for an automatic machine.

I often use my Aeropress Image - read the reviews for they are moistly accurate. Very good product.

Beans of choice are Intelligentsia Black Cat Analog from Manic Coffee on College Street - Image
walto
Founding Member

Postby walto » August 6th, 2013, 2:45 pm

...on College Street -

Do you live in Ithaca?

BTW, my grinder came today. I'm kind of surprised how small it is (especially given the humongus
pic I posted above!). Not sure if the glass cup will hold 8 cups worth of ground coffee. I guess I'll find out tomorrow morning...
mjb
Founding Member

Postby mjb » August 6th, 2013, 3:38 pm

walto wrote:
...on College Street -

Do you live in Ithaca?...

Walter,

I don't think so - let me go look.
BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » August 6th, 2013, 4:44 pm

Anyone "named" MJB in the coffee thread should be considered authoritative. (Not to make light of anyone's name, whether given or adopted.)
drumsolo
Founding Member

Postby drumsolo » August 6th, 2013, 6:56 pm

Bebop's not going to like this but I have to mention how much I love the Keurig machines. I am not a big coffee drinker and this makes it easy for me to make a decent cup of coffee. All I know is it's better than what I make on my own. It's the Kindle of coffee makers, I guess.
walto
Founding Member

Postby walto » August 7th, 2013, 2:54 am

The Bodum works. My only complaint is that the timer won't let it run for more than 20 seconds straight, so if you make more than about 4 cups at once, you have to turn it on a couple of times. Also, they sent a random color (there was no way to choose), and we got white which, while better than light lime, is going to get dirty looking very fast.

Re: Keurig, I don't see how anything very good could result from old ground up coffee sitting in little plastic cups for some uncertain period, and what I've had at various businesses has tasted a bit better than instant, but not much. OTOH, maybe it's possible to get something good from them if you know how to get fresh coffee in those little cups and you only want to make one serving at a time.
drumsolo
Founding Member

Postby drumsolo » August 7th, 2013, 4:16 am

walto wrote:Re: Keurig, I don't see how anything very good could result from old ground up coffee sitting in little plastic cups for some uncertain period, and what I've had at various businesses has tasted a bit better than instant, but not much. OTOH, maybe it's possible to get something good from them if you know how to get fresh coffee in those little cups and you only want to make one serving at a time.

The machines do come with an empty k-cup that you can use your own coffee of choice which works well from my experience although it takes away the convenience, of course.
BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » August 7th, 2013, 8:22 am

drumsolo wrote:Bebop's not going to like this but I have to mention how much I love the Keurig machines. I am not a big coffee drinker and this makes it easy for me to make a decent cup of coffee. All I know is it's better than what I make on my own. It's the Kindle of coffee makers, I guess.

Bebop's non-judgmental. And, somewhere up this thread, he admitted to drinking decaf. How judgmental could he be? :)
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » December 18th, 2014, 8:45 pm

It's been quite a while since this thread saw "action", so I thought I'd report on a new discovery of mine . . . a superb little water kettle. I use a few different coffee brewing methods, depending upon various factors, including how many persons I'm brewing for. My wife doesn't drink coffee, so I brew for myself, mostly. When our sons visit, things change, because they both enjoy coffee.

All of my brewing methods are stovetop or non-electric. I have a Bodum French Press for 4 cups, a Bialetti Moka for 2 cups of a near-espresso style, and a Hario Ceramic Dripper which can make 2-4 cups. For the best coffee results with the Hario, which is the only one I own which uses a paper coffee filter, a water kettle with a long spout is beneficial. I learned the truth of that today when I used my new Fino coffee drip kettle for the 1st time. Wow, what a difference in "control" while pouring the near-boiling water over the coffee grounds. Amazing. It's a beautiful little kettle, made in Japan with great care.

Yes, the coffee tastes richer, yet mellower now that I can "control the pour" with this nifty little kettle.

Fino Coffee Drip Kettle

Hario Red Ceramic Dripper
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » December 18th, 2014, 9:57 pm

Ron Thorne wrote:For the best coffee results with the Hario, which is the only one I own which uses a paper coffee filter, a water kettle with a long spout is beneficial. I learned the truth of that today when I used my new Fino coffee drip kettle for the 1st time. Wow, what a difference in "control" while pouring the near-boiling water over the coffee grounds. Amazing. . . .

Yes, the coffee tastes richer, yet mellower now that I can "control the pour" with this nifty little kettle.

Fino Coffee Drip Kettle

For a few reasons (don't ask Image), I avoid kettles, but that looks like a big improvement over my "kettle" (left).

bluenoter wrote:the pour-over method

Image           Image     
jwaggs
Founding Member

Postby jwaggs » February 4th, 2015, 3:20 pm

I'm a Mr. Coffee guy who uses ground beans from the Evil Empire (French roast)

Return to “The Alley”