Documentaries

Random and varied thoughts & topics
Mr. Met
Founding Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Documentaries

Postby Mr. Met » June 24th, 2014, 5:42 am

A friend of mine made an excellent documentary, "The Woman Who Wasn't There." It's on Netflix.

It's about this crazy, psychopathic woman who pretended that her boyfriend was killed during 9/11. She even becomes head of a support group of survivors! As she gets found out, she totally unravels.

My friend said that what happened was, he was originally going to make a documentary about the firefighters and he interviewed a lot of people. And somehow, he wound up with something like hours of tape of this woman. And it took a different turn. I highly recommend it.

And of course, there's "A Year to Remember," about THE 1986 METS!
steve(thelil)
Founding Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby steve(thelil) » June 24th, 2014, 7:45 am

I've seen it and it is fascinating.
LennyH

Postby LennyH » June 24th, 2014, 8:01 am

bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » September 6th, 2014, 6:23 pm

ValerieB
Founding Member

Postby ValerieB » September 6th, 2014, 8:49 pm

keep forgetting to thank you for the L.A. dates for the CT docu. really looking forward to it and i'll bring my box of Kleenex. he tried to ruin me in the '60s by introducing me to sake martinis. they almost did me in and it was the last evening I ever tried them! LOL
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » September 16th, 2014, 10:05 am

Has anyone seen the first episode(s) of "The Roosevelts: An Intimate History"?

It sounds intriguing and ambitious, but we're on vacation so probably won't see it this time around.
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » September 21st, 2014, 10:00 am

steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » September 21st, 2014, 2:32 pm

Is Wynton the hero of the Roosevelt doc?
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » September 21st, 2014, 2:57 pm

uli
Founding Member

Postby uli » December 2nd, 2014, 6:11 am

Intangible asset No 82

A fascinating doc about Australian jazz drummer Simon Barker's trip into Korean spiritual ceremonial shaman music and meeting master drummer an shaman musician Kim Seok-Chul, South Korea's Intangible asset No 82. It's on netflix

trailer

LennyH

Postby LennyH » January 1st, 2015, 9:58 am

The Roger Ebert documentary Life Itself is debuting on CNN on Sunday. I've heard good things about it.
jwaggs
Founding Member

Postby jwaggs » February 1st, 2015, 12:00 pm

Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » February 2nd, 2015, 5:54 am

“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ― Frank Sinatra
jwaggs
Founding Member

Postby jwaggs » February 2nd, 2015, 3:27 pm

Life Itself will be available on Netflix, and presumably DVD, later this month.
LennyH

Postby LennyH » February 7th, 2015, 11:55 am

Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » February 8th, 2015, 7:59 am

They really disliked each other intensely.
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ― Frank Sinatra
jwaggs
Founding Member

Postby jwaggs » February 8th, 2015, 8:06 am

LennyH

Postby LennyH » February 8th, 2015, 9:10 am

Ebert could definitely be a dick. In their relationship, I feel like he was the bigger asshole.

I always appreciated Ebert's writing, even though I disagreed with him often.
LennyH

Postby LennyH » August 12th, 2015, 4:33 am

Ron, thanks a lot for recommending A Chef's Life. I wasn't sure at first because Vivian got on my nerves a bit, but that wore off and can't wait for Season 3 now (September 1st on PBS, IIRC).

Have been watching the documentary Human Planet on Netflix. It's several gorgeous episodes and really has some mind-blowing stuff. A must-see for fans of nature documentaries. It's more about how humans interact with nature (get food, for the most part).
Mr. Met
Founding Member

Postby Mr. Met » August 13th, 2015, 7:11 am

Has anyone seen "Twenty Feet From Stardom?" I'm looking forward to checking that one out.
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » August 13th, 2015, 10:29 am

Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » August 14th, 2015, 4:32 pm

bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » August 23rd, 2015, 12:40 pm

Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » May 4th, 2016, 2:08 pm

A short documentary following artist Gary Sweeney as he creates his site-specific installation, A Manhattan Beach Memoir: 1945-2015. In 1945, while Sweeney’s father Mike was returning from Guam after World War II, his mother Anita bought a small house at 320 35th St in Manhattan Beach, California. It was their family home for 70 years. Sweeney sold the house in July, 2015, with the understanding that the new owner planned to demolish the house and put a new development it its place. As a tribute to his family, hometown, and father's photography, Sweeney covered the exterior of the house with over one hundred large scale family photographs, and occupied the house during its final month - February, 2016. Learn more at GarySweeneyArt.com. Learn more about the filmmakers at WalleyFilms.com.

Return to “The Alley”