Documentaries

Random and varied thoughts & topics
LennyH
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Documentaries

Postby LennyH » July 25th, 2013, 7:58 am

Werner Herzog's Happy People: A Year in the Taiga is available on Netflix.

It looks at a year in the life of the people in a village in a frigid part of Northern Russia. It especially follows the hunters/trappers, who's lives and work I found fascinating. What craftsmanship and dedication. A life of very hard work and solitude.

steve(thelil)
Founding Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Documentaries

Postby steve(thelil) » July 25th, 2013, 8:07 am

LennyH

Re: The Documentaries Thread

Postby LennyH » July 25th, 2013, 8:24 am

LennyH

Postby LennyH » July 25th, 2013, 8:27 am

LennyH

Postby LennyH » July 25th, 2013, 8:41 am

Blue Train
Founding Member

Postby Blue Train » July 25th, 2013, 8:43 am

Posted about this in the movie thread. Werner Herzog & Errol Morris became after the fact Executive producers after seeing it.

"There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind."

- Duke Ellington
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » July 25th, 2013, 9:28 am

LennyH

Postby LennyH » July 25th, 2013, 10:12 am

uli
Founding Member

Postby uli » September 5th, 2013, 4:28 am

as a fan of musique andalouse I dug this music doc about piano player Mustapha Skandrani
Tom Storer
Éminence Grise

Postby Tom Storer » September 5th, 2013, 11:28 am

There is no Netflix in France, or anything that resembles it. Consider yourselves lucky.
Praise Cheeses!
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » September 5th, 2013, 6:19 pm

"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
Tom Storer
Éminence Grise

Postby Tom Storer » September 5th, 2013, 10:00 pm

No idea, but I wouldn't even if I could. The wife and I go on binges of watching recommended American TV series on DVD, but other than that I stay away from the television. I only watch movies at the cinema.
Praise Cheeses!
uli
Founding Member

Postby uli » September 8th, 2013, 6:56 pm

I am enjoying this doc about Snoop Dog's transformation from a rapper to rastafari Snoop Lion

uli
Founding Member

Postby uli » September 15th, 2013, 7:45 am

Nice doc on Peter Kowald in town

I must be on a doc binge i also dug this the other day. trailer

bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » March 29th, 2014, 12:14 pm

mjb
Founding Member

Postby mjb » April 2nd, 2014, 9:14 am

Fascinating, well done and highly recommended.

If nothing else, may I suggest you check out her photographs on the Interwebs.
jwaggs
Founding Member

Postby jwaggs » April 25th, 2014, 9:37 am

I have the hots for one of the singers in 20 Feet from Stardom:

Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » April 25th, 2014, 1:17 pm

You didn't mention that '20 Feet From Stardom' IS on Netflix now! I just caught it this past weekend and really enjoyed it. So much 'insider' gossip. I especially enjoyed Merry Clayton's backstory on her recording 'Gimme Shelter'. The movie shows her listening to the playback in the studio (now) where they isolate her voice from the track so you only hear her voice. Man, I used to get goosebumps listening to that tune and I got 'em again during this segment. I saw her back in the day in a small club performing as a solo artist, what a voice!
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » April 25th, 2014, 6:21 pm

I had forgotten Merry Clayton's name until your post, Chazro, but I agree. What a voice!

So many only knew of her talent via the Rolling Stones, but I played the hell out of this record on KJZZ back in the day. It's a self-titled album.

"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
ValerieB
Founding Member

Postby ValerieB » April 26th, 2014, 10:11 pm

heard some very good news today regarding the documentary on Clark Terry. I think it's called, "Keep on, Keepin' On." The Weinstein Company and Quincy Jones will be getting into the act so we should be able to see it at our neighborhood theatres in the near future.
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » April 27th, 2014, 3:16 am

uli
Founding Member

Postby uli » May 28th, 2014, 4:51 am

steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » May 28th, 2014, 12:34 pm

Recently saw "Discovering Vivien Maier," about a "street photographer" who was totally unknown during her lifetime. The producer/narrator discovered tens of thousands of her photos and negatives after her death and started to investigate whatever he could about her life. (He's also trying to turn her into a famous photographer, and stands to profit immensely). Turns out that Vivien Maier's life was a fascinating and weird life.

4 Montes.

http://www.findingvivianmaier.com
LennyH

Postby LennyH » May 28th, 2014, 2:17 pm

I just finished watching Somm, which Rollie turned me on to, on Netflix.

Interesting stuff. It's about this insane group of people who want to attain the highest certification that can be had in the wine industry. It's so rare and difficult that you can pretty much score a new job on the day you pass, but you have to put yourself and others through hell for maybe even years in order to get there. Then you can get paid to drink shitloads of wine, which is pretty freakin' cool.
tippy
Founding Member

Re: Documentaries

Postby tippy » May 28th, 2014, 7:22 pm

Black Power Mixtape and Hearts and Minds. I gotta say that was really my first exposure to the Panthers and I was born right close to Oaktown during that era. I thought Stokely Carmichael was incredibly outspoken in the truest way. When he was talking about how the U.S. should lose Vietnam and only then will there be peace - outrageous to say at the time, but he was so, so right. Talking about how you couldn't beat people fighting on their land - they had everything to lose and so there was no backing down. Ever. Kinda like how Carmichael must have felt himself to speak his truth like that. And the Angela Davis interview in prison. She was something else, in the best of ways, refuting accusations of violence and going back to her Mississippi neighborhood where she grew up and lived with the young girls who were murdered. They didn't ever not live with the threat of violence against them.

Followed up by Hearts and Minds, a 1974 (I think) Vietnam doc. Boy, we haven't learned anything.

Return to “The Alley”