Documentaries

Random and varied thoughts & topics
Mr. Met
Founding Member

Re: Documentaries

Postby Mr. Met » June 24th, 2014, 5:42 am

A friend of mine made an excellent documentary, "The Woman Who Wasn't There." It's on Netflix.

It's about this crazy, psychopathic woman who pretended that her boyfriend was killed during 9/11. She even becomes head of a support group of survivors! As she gets found out, she totally unravels.

My friend said that what happened was, he was originally going to make a documentary about the firefighters and he interviewed a lot of people. And somehow, he wound up with something like hours of tape of this woman. And it took a different turn. I highly recommend it.

And of course, there's "A Year to Remember," about THE 1986 METS!
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » June 24th, 2014, 7:45 am

I've seen it and it is fascinating.
LennyH

Postby LennyH » June 24th, 2014, 8:01 am

steve(thelil) wrote:I've seen it and it is fascinating.

Please say you're not talking about the Mets thing ;).
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » September 6th, 2014, 6:23 pm

Paging ValerieB (re a documentary discussed earlier in this thread) . . .

http://jazztimes.com/articles/138538-clark-terry-documentary-to-be-released

Keep On Keepin’ On, a new documentary film about trumpeter Clark Terry . . . will premiere in Los Angeles on Sept. 19 and New York on Oct. 3.
But at which theaters? ;)

http://keeponkeepinon.com/screenings/
ValerieB
Founding Member

Postby ValerieB » September 6th, 2014, 8:49 pm

keep forgetting to thank you for the L.A. dates for the CT docu. really looking forward to it and i'll bring my box of Kleenex. he tried to ruin me in the '60s by introducing me to sake martinis. they almost did me in and it was the last evening I ever tried them! LOL
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » September 16th, 2014, 10:05 am

Has anyone seen the first episode(s) of "The Roosevelts: An Intimate History"?

It sounds intriguing and ambitious, but we're on vacation so probably won't see it this time around.
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » September 21st, 2014, 10:00 am

Ron Thorne wrote:Has anyone seen the first episode(s) of "The Roosevelts: An Intimate History"?

It sounds intriguing and ambitious, but we're on vacation so probably won't see it this time around.

I saw about the first half of the first episode. It was both thorough and, yes, intriguing enough to have held my interest in spite of myself, but I was jet-lagged and went to bed ridiculously early that night.
Image           Image     
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » September 21st, 2014, 2:32 pm

Is Wynton the hero of the Roosevelt doc?
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » September 21st, 2014, 2:57 pm

steve(thelil) wrote:Is Wynton the hero of the Roosevelt doc?

I didn't know and wouldn't have guessed that it was a Ken Burns project. But that does explain the frequent references to "gumbo."
Image           Image     
uli
Founding Member

Postby uli » December 2nd, 2014, 6:11 am

Intangible asset No 82

A fascinating doc about Australian jazz drummer Simon Barker's trip into Korean spiritual ceremonial shaman music and meeting master drummer an shaman musician Kim Seok-Chul, South Korea's Intangible asset No 82. It's on netflix

trailer

LennyH

Postby LennyH » January 1st, 2015, 9:58 am

The Roger Ebert documentary Life Itself is debuting on CNN on Sunday. I've heard good things about it.
jwaggs
Founding Member

Postby jwaggs » February 1st, 2015, 12:00 pm

Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » February 2nd, 2015, 5:54 am

LennyH wrote:The Roger Ebert documentary Life Itself is debuting on CNN on Sunday. I've heard good things about it.

Shit! I forgot about that. I wanted to at least record it. Hopefully CNN will rerun it to death.
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ― Frank Sinatra
jwaggs
Founding Member

Postby jwaggs » February 2nd, 2015, 3:27 pm

Life Itself will be available on Netflix, and presumably DVD, later this month.
LennyH

Postby LennyH » February 7th, 2015, 11:55 am

Jimmy Cantiello wrote:
LennyH wrote:The Roger Ebert documentary Life Itself is debuting on CNN on Sunday. I've heard good things about it.

Shit! I forgot about that. I wanted to at least record it. Hopefully CNN will rerun it to death.

For anyone that watched Siskel and Ebert, it's worth watching Life Itself just to see the outtakes from their old show where they are arguing and cursing at each other. Hilarious stuff.
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » February 8th, 2015, 7:59 am

They really disliked each other intensely.
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ― Frank Sinatra
jwaggs
Founding Member

Postby jwaggs » February 8th, 2015, 8:06 am

Jimmy Cantiello wrote:They really disliked each other intensely.

I wonder which one I will like most while watching the documentary. I always preferred Siskel when the show was on. Ebert struck me as fatuous. Well, both, actually, only Siskel less so.
LennyH

Postby LennyH » February 8th, 2015, 9:10 am

Ebert could definitely be a dick. In their relationship, I feel like he was the bigger asshole.

I always appreciated Ebert's writing, even though I disagreed with him often.
LennyH

Postby LennyH » August 12th, 2015, 4:33 am

Ron, thanks a lot for recommending A Chef's Life. I wasn't sure at first because Vivian got on my nerves a bit, but that wore off and can't wait for Season 3 now (September 1st on PBS, IIRC).

Have been watching the documentary Human Planet on Netflix. It's several gorgeous episodes and really has some mind-blowing stuff. A must-see for fans of nature documentaries. It's more about how humans interact with nature (get food, for the most part).
Mr. Met
Founding Member

Postby Mr. Met » August 13th, 2015, 7:11 am

Has anyone seen "Twenty Feet From Stardom?" I'm looking forward to checking that one out.
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » August 13th, 2015, 10:29 am

Mr. Met wrote:Has anyone seen "Twenty Feet From Stardom?" I'm looking forward to checking that one out.

Here's what I found by entering  feet Stardom / Search in Forums → The Alley  in JT's Advanced Search (the posts are in both this thread and the What Movies? thread, and they're from 2013 and 2014):

steve(thelil) wrote:I don't know how widely it's playing, but the documentary "Twenty Feet from Stardom" about background singers is inspirational.

Here's the trailer.

http://twentyfeetfromstardom.com

LennyH wrote:I'm looking forward to this too. I heard about it on Fresh Air. It's worth digging up that episode from a few weeks ago just to hear the story about the backup singer that did Gimme Shelter with The Stones.

steve(thelil) wrote:A doc I've seen recently in a theater, that I hope will come to Netflix is "Twenty Feet from Stardom" about backup singers (mostly black female backup singers). Fascinating and inspirational.

LennyH wrote:Yeah, I can't wait for that one too. i said this before on another thread but I heard the Fresh Air where they interviewed the creator of the film, IIRC, and the woman who sang on Gimme Shelter. Good stuff.

mjb wrote:We saw 20 Feet From Stardom Image

Essentially a very good / fun / melancholy documentary about backup singers in pop and rock. A lot of very good music.

Most telling line, for me, was from Mick Jagger: “Singing ‘oohs and aahs’, it’s kind of fun for a minute, but I’m not sure I’d like to do it for a living.”

Jazzooo wrote:20 feet from stardom. A fantastic documentary about background singers. A little too long, but good to the last drop.

jwaggs wrote:

I have the hots for one of the singers in 20 Feet from Stardom:

Chazro wrote:You didn't mention that '20 Feet From Stardom' IS on Netflix now! I just caught it this past weekend and really enjoyed it. So much 'insider' gossip. I especially enjoyed Merry Clayton's backstory on her recording 'Gimme Shelter'. The movie shows her listening to the playback in the studio (now) where they isolate her voice from the track so you only hear her voice. Man, I used to get goosebumps listening to that tune and I got 'em again during this segment. I saw her back in the day in a small club performing as a solo artist, what a voice!

Not sure whether Ron saw the movie, but I also ran across this post:

Ron Thorne wrote:I had forgotten Merry Clayton's name until your post, Chazro, but I agree. What a voice!

So many only knew of her talent via the Rolling Stones, but I played the hell out of this record on KJZZ back in the day. It's a self-titled album.

Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » August 14th, 2015, 4:32 pm

LennyH wrote:Ron, thanks a lot for recommending A Chef's Life. I wasn't sure at first because Vivian got on my nerves a bit, but that wore off and can't wait for Season 3 now (September 1st on PBS, IIRC).

Have been watching the documentary Human Planet on Netflix. It's several gorgeous episodes and really has some mind-blowing stuff. A must-see for fans of nature documentaries. It's more about how humans interact with nature (get food, for the most part).

My pleasure, Lenny. Yeah, Vivian is somewhat quirky, but she's so damned cute, smart and talented. The back stories are also very interesting. The show is beautifully shot, too. Like you, I'm also eagerly awaiting Season 3.

Man, I've wanted to reach into our television on several occasions and taste what she's preparing. :idea:

I'll check into Human Planet, based upon your recommendation.
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » August 23rd, 2015, 12:40 pm

Always for Pleasure (1978)       

Produced and Directed
    Photographed and Edited
         by
    Les Blank
New Orleans, pre-Katrina

Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » May 4th, 2016, 2:08 pm

What a cool, creative idea!

A short documentary following artist Gary Sweeney as he creates his site-specific installation, A Manhattan Beach Memoir: 1945-2015. In 1945, while Sweeney’s father Mike was returning from Guam after World War II, his mother Anita bought a small house at 320 35th St in Manhattan Beach, California. It was their family home for 70 years. Sweeney sold the house in July, 2015, with the understanding that the new owner planned to demolish the house and put a new development it its place. As a tribute to his family, hometown, and father's photography, Sweeney covered the exterior of the house with over one hundred large scale family photographs, and occupied the house during its final month - February, 2016. Learn more at GarySweeneyArt.com. Learn more about the filmmakers at WalleyFilms.com.

Return to “The Alley”