Traffic

Tell us how we are doing.
HenryMc
Founding Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Traffic

Postby HenryMc » March 10th, 2014, 4:54 pm

This board is necessary but will die soon as it is unsustainable in traffic and cost.

To go forward or at least survive it needs several things.

A) a welcoming inclusive environment

B) a viable cost structure

C) an accepting management structure which maintains integrity and allows discussion

D) an expanded base of members

Now i appreciate scott's efforts in setting up this board and paying for it but for future viability it cant be a fiefdom where the owners views go or else. Especially when that owner acknowledges he can be difficult. There needs to be an acceptance of divergence of views. Discussions need to be robust and without fear or favour. Therefore several mods are needed.

As regards cost. Several people have said they would contribute but there has been little discussion on these boards i have seen. The costs need to be outlined and a fund created to pay the cost. People could be delineated as contributory members or members or guests. It should be clear that the contribution buys nothing but the continued existence of the board.

Discussions should be encouraged. This means high volume posters should be encouraged. I once looked at the old boards and 10% of members did 90% of posts. Discussions could be started out of trade mags etc.

Since most here use facebook a facebook presence could be established. There are many related jazz groups online and the board could be marketed there.

These are just ideas. I know i rarely post but thats cause sometimes discussions can be churlish or clubbish and the peoples who's views i admire or want to hear had been over the years had been drowned out by white noise. More traffic, different opinions would create a better environment.

Just ideas
BeBop
Founding Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Traffic

Postby BeBop » March 10th, 2014, 5:52 pm

As I recall, when Scott established this as a refugee forum, he declined financial assistance. He was paying the bills, so I was cool with the idea that he was going to "shape" this place how he wanted. If he's still paying the bills, he still calls the tune. I don't post much (or even lurk much), but that's just my life right now. If I had the time, I'd actively decide whether I want to hang out in Scotts world, Maybe. Maybe not. But I accept that it's his.
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » March 11th, 2014, 9:37 am

bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » March 11th, 2014, 10:07 am

bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » March 11th, 2014, 10:36 am

HenryMc
Founding Member

Postby HenryMc » March 12th, 2014, 2:24 am

You know even in the replies here there is an implied churlishness and acceptance of defeat( its a dying medium) ( if i could snap my fingers) and even the old smartarseisms ( i want a ferrari too ). I wont bother anymore
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » March 12th, 2014, 12:28 pm

Henry, there is nothing much I can add to what Scott has stated. We're doing the best we can, warts and all. All reasonable suggestions are considered, but mistakes will be and have been made. We're mere mortals.

From my perspective, portions of your initial post were quite judgmental and presumptuous, frankly. You also offered some salient points. I felt that Scott's response was quite reasonable and measured.

As with many things, Jazztalk is still a work-in-progress. Our hope is that everyone who visits will have something of interest to offer and will have a pleasant experience while here. Problems or complaints may be best addressed by way of private messages.

Respectfully,

Ron
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
Pete C
Founding Member

Postby Pete C » March 12th, 2014, 4:03 pm

When Mike Schwartz and Ron asked me to participate I told them both that I was uninterested in a "refugee furum," as it implied that newcomers were not welcome.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » March 12th, 2014, 11:53 pm

"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
Monte Smith
Founding Member

Postby Monte Smith » March 13th, 2014, 8:54 am

I'm confused. Are refugees now not welcome?
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » March 13th, 2014, 9:20 am

walto
Founding Member

Postby walto » April 8th, 2014, 3:51 am

Surely not all of a sudden. Less than half of a sudden at best.
BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » October 29th, 2014, 9:20 am

Look who's in The Alley: