Due to old habits dying hard...

Tell us how we are doing.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Would you like the Politics forum reinstated?

Poll ended at August 29th, 2013, 3:18 pm

Yes
44%
No
56%

Total votes: 9
Jazzooo
Founding Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Just a heads up...

Postby Jazzooo » August 28th, 2013, 2:24 pm

Scott, love the forum but really dislike that you deleted the political section--sounds like you did it because you can't control yourself? I've used the JC political section many times for inspiration and info gathering. The discussion, when people like you are behaving themselves, is interesting to me. It was a big reason I came to JC, and to remove it here? really knocks the wind of the experience for me, especially for the reason you gave us. Be disciplined and contribute when you have something to contribute and stay away otherwise. Don't punish everyone else because you lack self-control.
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Re: Due to old habits dying hard... (poll)

Postby moldyfigg » August 28th, 2013, 3:27 pm

I have no preference either way, but all in all, I find politics these days pretty nauseating.
Bright moments
bluenoter
Concierge

Re: Due to old habits dying hard...

Postby bluenoter » August 28th, 2013, 4:22 pm

:|

bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » August 28th, 2013, 4:46 pm

BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » August 28th, 2013, 6:03 pm

If there is a political forum, I can't picture myself wandering in. I'm a terrible combination of highly opinionated and thin-skinned. So long as people don't carry their personal allegiance/animosity into the music discussion, I'm cool with ignoring a political forum.
David Beckett
Founding Member

Postby David Beckett » August 28th, 2013, 6:59 pm

Count me among those who think it's very valuable to have political threads here.

But whoever creates a bbs like this has the right to run it in ways I find regretable.

I think we can discuss most things like adults.

...unless (insert name of loathsome troll here) shows up; in which case I reserve the right to swerve from utter reasonableness and polite decorum ...and call him a pantywaist.

...and thanks for making a place for us to hang in cyberspace, Scott.
Burlington VT Realtor.
Radio Broadcaster.
A friend to Jazz since 1982.
Obsessed with CHORO, powered by Bustelo.
askdavidbeckett.com
@DavidBeckettVT
jtx
Commodore

Postby jtx » August 28th, 2013, 9:12 pm

Jazzooo
Founding Member

Postby Jazzooo » August 29th, 2013, 4:44 am

my point is that I don't need a nanny shutting down forums because he or she is afraid I might get hot and bothered about a topic. Ad for the amount of traffic, I think that is a bogus reason--when political things happen that we want to discuss, it will get traffic--it always has and they always do. It isn't like, say, a Yoko Ono forum where once you say what you have to say, there's nothing left. it is ongoing, with new issues, revelations and so on every day.

With the world in tis current state, it is kind of inconceivable to me that any internet community would try to shut down or dissipate conversation about politics. It's a fuck of lot more important (once in a while) than what I'm listening to lately. Although what I'm listening to lately deserves a thread of its own, which I hope to start soon.
pig pen
Founding Member

Postby pig pen » August 29th, 2013, 5:49 am

"If humans used their tongues for cleaning themselves rather than talking, the world would be a much better place." - Henri, Le Chat Noir
LennyH

Postby LennyH » August 29th, 2013, 8:27 am

I think there's a hole in this board without a politics/current events forum. The current crop of people here is, for the most parts, the same group that was present during the last year or so of JC and I don't think we had any real problems there. In fact, the biggest problems on that board over the past couple of years had nothing to do with politics.

I read this site every day and I must have missed something because I don't understand what precipitated all of this.

Scott, you're clearly in favor of active moderation, which is your prerogative, so I can see why you're apprehensive about the political forum; It could take some work on your part if you intend to regularly deal with situations that get inflammatory. My recommendation would be to not deal with situations unless someone actually gets hurt feelings, attacks clearly become too personal or other members start to complain that things are getting out of control and ruining the party. It's a fact that people will get hot-under-the-collar when discussing politics and most of us know that's how things get when you choose to participate. People who don't like this generally avoid these discussions. I guess what I'm saying is: I think you should not try to anticipate things getting out of control as it seems you have done here. At least let them actually get out of control before acting. Otherwise, I don't see how political discussion can exist.

I'm grateful for this site for sure but, to be perfectly honest, the site is less valuable to me if the topics of conversation are restricted. That's one of the reasons I can't get interested in Organissimo again. I think it's boring that the moderators are watching too closely and there too much worry about duplicate threads and such. I mean, I'm not even sure a brother could get away with a boner thread over there and there isn't even a dedicated beer thread, rendering that site useless to me ;).
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » August 29th, 2013, 10:21 am

The activity here and Facebook jc is underwhelming.

Dodo birds look out!
Bright moments
Jazzooo
Founding Member

Postby Jazzooo » August 29th, 2013, 1:55 pm

"Do you actually want me to respond to that, Doug?"

I don't believe that I asked a question, did I? I'm perfectly calm, just reiterating my point. Thanks for reinstating it. I think you made a judgement call, that's all. I don't see any reason to be offended by what I said, even the 'nanny' comment. I mean, you did shut it down because you didn't like the way people played there, so...

Anyway, all is good. Thanks again.
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » August 29th, 2013, 1:57 pm

moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » August 29th, 2013, 2:48 pm

Just getting me pissed off does not qualify one as a enemy.

Maybe an enema.

Happy birthday, Bird.
Bright moments
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » August 30th, 2013, 5:33 am

I personally have no use for political discussion. I gave it up years ago out of utter frustration. However, if people wish to beat their heads against a wall on a regular basis, I say have at it.
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ― Frank Sinatra
Monte Smith
Founding Member

Postby Monte Smith » August 30th, 2013, 4:32 pm

Scott, if you are tempted to be a censorious moderator, I suggest that you arrange matters so that you don't have the power to do so. Give the keys to someone else. Friends don't let friends become petty tyrants.
Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Postby Mike Schwartz » September 2nd, 2013, 5:46 pm

I didn't get to vote :cry:
Pete C
Founding Member

Postby Pete C » January 8th, 2014, 1:42 pm

jwaggs
Founding Member

Postby jwaggs » February 5th, 2015, 8:09 pm

LennyH

Postby LennyH » February 7th, 2015, 11:49 am

Return to “Suggestions, Questions & Concerns”