Improve JT? Sound off!

Tell us how we are doing.
jtx
Commodore

Improve JT? Sound off!

Postby jtx » January 2nd, 2020, 10:50 pm

As we consider keeping this site up and running, what are the enhancements that you'd most like to see made to Jazztalk?

Are there features missing that you'd like to see?
Are there existing features you'd like to see improved?
What would it take to make you spend less time on Facebook and more time here?

Now is your one and perhaps only chance to sound off!
jtx
Commodore

Re: Improve JT? Sound off!

Postby jtx » January 3rd, 2020, 4:33 pm

Two things I thought might be of interest:

1. @mentioning of usernames
  2. ability to like posts

Both of the above should be supported with extensions available for phpBB 3.2, which will require updating the current 3.1 installation. If there is interest, we can likely figure out a way of incorporating them.
rlfun

Postby rlfun » January 6th, 2020, 7:09 pm

I have thought the same thing about “liking”, always thought it was too much like Facebook and forgot about it. But, I’ve come around to thinking that it’s a good idea. That is, if it’s not a monumental headache to implement. Just my personal experience but there have been numerous times that I’ve wanted to acknowledge a post but didn’t have a reply that I felt was worthy of a “reply”. Just my take. :silly:
jtx
Commodore

Postby jtx » January 7th, 2020, 8:34 am

I've thought the same thing, that sometimes a simple like is the best response, compared to no response at all. It is something we certainly could try, but may have to be after upgrading to the newest version of phpBB.

rlfun wrote:I have thought the same thing about “liking”, always thought it was too much like Facebook and forgot about it. But, I’ve come around to thinking that it’s a good idea. That is, if it’s not a monumental headache to implement. Just my personal experience but there have been numerous times that I’ve wanted to acknowledge a post but didn’t have a reply that I felt was worthy of a “reply”. Just my take. :silly:
BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » January 14th, 2020, 6:58 am

I've spent most of the last few decades with only intermittent internet access. As a result, I'm hard-pressed to identify what might be missing or in need of improvement.

...but I would like to see this place survive and thrive. I'm hoping that a change in my living situation will enable me to be a participant.
jtx
Commodore

Postby jtx » January 16th, 2020, 11:46 am

BeBop wrote:I've spent most of the last few decades with only intermittent internet access. As a result, I'm hard-pressed to identify what might be missing or in need of improvement.

...but I would like to see this place survive and thrive. I'm hoping that a change in my living situation will enable me to be a participant.

That would be most welcome! Fortunately the site itself does not require a great deal of bandwidth, or even a PC or laptop, to log into and participate. The experience in the mobile browser is actually quite good at present, so any changes we might make would be just more along the lines of expectations regarding functionality that has become commonplaces, such as likes and @mentions by username.

It will take a bit of work, but hopefully can make this place a little more sticky, as they like to say.

Return to “Suggestions, Questions & Concerns”