Stevie Wonder

Discuss non-Jazz genres here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Chazro
Founding Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Stevie Wonder

Postby Chazro » February 17th, 2015, 2:22 pm

....or as he's known in my house; Stevie The Wonder Man! Did anyone watch the special last night? Amazing! Totally smoked the Grammy show, what a night! Before I watched I had read who some of the performers that were going to be on and honestly, I wasn't feelin' it BUT....the performances were totally bolstered by the SONGS! I literally sat there with this silly grin on my face, at times I'll admit I was getting choked up, those songs....IMO the only other writer of as many modern 'standards' were the Beatles (McCartney, Lennon, & Harrison). Watching him whip the crowd into a frenzy at the end was a thing of wonder(!) to me. I've seen him twice, once he was 2nd billing to the Stones (the '70's Ya-Ya days!) and the 2nd he was top billing (the 80's) and both time he whipped the crowd into the SAME frenzy!, Incredible! For me, it's a telling statement about the state of Popular music these days that Stevie's new music doesn't sell, and by these days I mean the last 20 years! I'd be the 1st to admit his records haven't been as consistently brilliant as in his glory days (his last 'great' record was 'Hotter Than July'). But we're talkin' Stevie Wonder here! Even sub-standard Stevie is so far above the average dreck it's laughable. If any of his 'sub-standard' records were released by some unknown artist, the artist would immediately be hailed as a genius! I own ALL his records and even on his poorest selling albums there's always a handful of gems, as good as anything he's ever done, but none of this music is celebrated as it simply isn't as well known. How incredibly frustrating it must be for him to be an icon that isn't really being listened to anymore. To know his talent is so far beyond the majority of current music makers and yet hasn't released a new record in years. Ya gotta know he's got to have tons of new music written but not released. I loved what Tony Bennett said about Stevie being one of the greatest JAZZ musicians ever, as it's something I've felt for decades!
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Re: Stevie Wonder

Postby Ron Thorne » February 17th, 2015, 4:40 pm

"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » February 18th, 2015, 10:14 am

We never watch those awards shows but it sounds like we would have dug Little Stevie .
Bright moments
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » February 18th, 2015, 12:16 pm

Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » February 18th, 2015, 4:21 pm

Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » February 18th, 2015, 6:08 pm

hornplayer
Founding Member

Postby hornplayer » March 4th, 2015, 9:06 am

I didn't know it was on until the next day. That's the problem with not watching mainstream tv, I guess. :(
Life's short, drink well.
Hornplayer
www.feastivals.com/blog

Return to “Other Music”