Yee-Haw!!! Any fans of Country and Western music?

Discuss non-Jazz genres here.
sozamora
Founding Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Yee-Haw!!! Any fans of Country and Western music?

Postby sozamora » July 24th, 2013, 10:32 am

I heard a few snippets of Guy Clark's new album on NPR yesterday. It sounded quite lovely. I'm not very familiar with his ouevre, though I'm a fan of various musicians he's influenced. Any recommendations?
moldyfigg
Founding Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby moldyfigg » July 24th, 2013, 2:05 pm

shit kick
Bright moments
lazarus
Founding Member

Postby lazarus » July 24th, 2013, 9:50 pm

Fred K
Founding Member

Postby Fred K » July 31st, 2013, 4:08 am

I just heard the new Guy Clark recording, "My Favorite Picture of You," and highly recommend it.

I also listened again to the latest release by West Texas singer/songwriter Terry Allen, which is really good. It was his first release in 14 years and came out to little fanfare, even less than the new Guy Clark. Definitely worth hearing, as are most of the earlier Terry Allen releases.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » July 31st, 2013, 1:12 pm

I didn't know it, but Guy Clark visited Alaska in 2003 and played at Alice's Chamgagne Palace in beautiful Homer, south of Anchorage on Kachemak Bay. The following video is from that October 2003 performance. There are more at YouTube.

"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
charlie o
Founding Member

Postby charlie o » August 3rd, 2013, 11:39 am

I like country. If you're a guitar player you can't really escape it. I've grown to appreciate the story-telling as well. I wasn't overly enthused with Isbell's first couple solo albums away from DBT but his latest sounds real good.

Tom Storer
Éminence Grise

Postby Tom Storer » September 4th, 2013, 12:03 am

You can count me in as C&W fan. Love the latest Guy Clark album and have been on a bit of a GC binge lately. And I've been using Spotify to explore the roots, for example the lineage that goes Hank Williams > George Jones > Merle.

And the Louvin Brothers are great. Gospel and non-gospel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcRG_Hkk ... 3276A75B63

Via Guy Clark I came across a guy I hadn't heard of before, Shawn Camp. Good stuff. This song is from the new Guy Clark, co-written with Camp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28XV1q6KDH8

Edit: OK, how do you embed the YouTube videos? When I paste in the "embed" code from YouTube it just shows up as text.
Praise Cheeses!
Tom Storer
Éminence Grise

Postby Tom Storer » September 4th, 2013, 3:29 am

Hey, Fred K, I looked up Terry Allen on YouTube. Love it! I'll be getting that new album, "Bottom of the World." Thanks!

Wikipedia informs me music is only one of his means of expression. His main gig is as a painter, and his work is in the collections of many important museums. Interesting guy!

On that new album he does "Queenie's Song," which he co-wrote with Guy Clark. Here's a clip where he describes the genesis of the song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxQzwfKB1Yo
Praise Cheeses!
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » June 6th, 2014, 3:22 pm

BFrank
Founding Member

Postby BFrank » June 6th, 2014, 5:44 pm

Any country fan needs to get this:
Sturgill Simpson "Metamodern Sounds in Country Music"

lazarus
Founding Member

Postby lazarus » June 28th, 2014, 10:50 am

Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » July 24th, 2014, 9:04 pm

My first gigs as a professional drummer were with a 5-piece country swing band which featured a "monster" pedal steel player, Bobby Lyle. I don't follow c&w music much these days, but my wife & I really enjoyed Asleep At The Wheel when they visited us a few years ago. I felt an authenticity and ease with them. Sometimes, there are obvious jazz influences in their arrangements and playing/singing, an interesting side note. And they have fun!

From 1992:

BFrank
Founding Member

Postby BFrank » July 24th, 2014, 10:06 pm

Sturgill on Letterman recently with a VERY tasty Tele player

Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » July 25th, 2014, 11:50 am

Thanks for that clip, Brooks. Yeah, that's a very good band, with a "tasty" drummer, too.
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » July 25th, 2014, 12:54 pm

Of course Hawaiian sucks as much.
Bright moments
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » July 25th, 2014, 5:26 pm

Cem

Postby Cem » July 25th, 2014, 6:00 pm

Just watched Heartworn Highways again today with a friend new to it. What's not to love?! My intro to Larry Jon Wilson. Great stuff by LJW, Townes van Zandt, Guy Clark, Rodney Crowell, Steve Earle, John Hiatt, Steve Young… many more. Much amazing footage of the "outlaw country" scene from the mid 70s. Highly recommended.

Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » September 28th, 2014, 4:59 pm

Our friend Squaredancecalling Steve sent me this clip in an e-mail this morning. He knew I would enjoy the way guitarist Hank Garland rips on this classic.

Enjoy.

bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » September 29th, 2014, 6:05 am

Return to “Other Music”