Yee-Haw!!! Any fans of Country and Western music?

Discuss non-Jazz genres here.
cookie
Founding Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Yee-Haw!!! Any fans of Country and Western music?

Postby cookie » July 6th, 2013, 1:58 pm

I have devoted much of my life to jazz, but over the past few years, I have been going back and listening to the music that made me want to be a singer long before I ever even heard of jazz. In my house, we listened to a lot of C&W, the radio, Elvis, and hymns. The first singer I ever pretended to be (singing into my hairbrush) was Dolly Parton. :)

Here are some of my favorites (in no particular order):
Dolly Parton
Porter Wagoner
Johnny Cash
Hank Williams
Patsy Cline
Loretta Lynn
Willie Nelson
Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys
Dick Curless
Merle Haggard
Alan Jackson
George Strait
Reba McEntire
Jim Reeves
George Jones
Brad Paisley
Rascal Flatts

...many others.

Sometimes (as George Strait sings) I need a little twang. And like Charlie Parker, I like to listen to the stories. :)
Noj
Founding Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Yee-Haw!!! Any fans of Country and Western music?

Postby Noj » July 6th, 2013, 2:22 pm

I never thought I would, but now I really do. Particularly the older stuff. At some point I got a Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys box set, and it was a bit of an eye opener. Combined with listening to lots of early jazz, blues, and folk, I realized that all the branches go back to the same tree. Or something like that.
cookie
Founding Member

Postby cookie » July 6th, 2013, 3:02 pm

I don't know that genre at all well, Scott. I'm sort a C&W moldy fig. I listen to commercial country in my car sometimes. Some of it I really like, but it sounds more like pop/rock with a southern accent and fiddles.

I like the old stuff best. Probably because that's the stuff I heard in utero. :)
Monte Smith
Founding Member

Postby Monte Smith » July 6th, 2013, 3:17 pm

I'm a moldy country fig, too. Gimme some Hank or Porter or Johnny Cash. Of course, in my area (couple miles up from the on-ramp to the highway to the foothills of the front porch of darkest Appalachia), real "old" country is very fricking old indeed. Start with a fiddle and a hymn book. Bluegrass mountain music.
BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » July 6th, 2013, 5:25 pm

Absolutely love instrumental bluegrass. Flatpick 'n fiddles. Tony Rice's Bluegrass Guitar Collection saves my life weekly.
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » July 6th, 2013, 6:21 pm

I like a lot of the artists people have mentioned. That said, when I'm driving and pick up commercial country stations, much of it makes me wretch. Some of it is the farthest thing from "roots music".
cookie
Founding Member

Postby cookie » July 6th, 2013, 6:33 pm

I hear that, thelil! I enjoy much of it, but things like "Honky Tonk Ba Donka Donk?

It's "murder on Music Row".

Also must mention Charley Pride. We played his music a lot....on 8-track!!! :shock:
BFrank
Founding Member

Postby BFrank » July 6th, 2013, 10:47 pm

Been getting into some of that myself lately. Dolan and I have discussed some alt-country stuff, too.

Recent playlist includes:
Jim Lauderdale/Buddy Miller (together and separately)
Marty Stuart
Rodney Crowell (albums since 2001)
James McMurtry
Lucinda Williams
Drive-By Truckers
Dave Alvin
Sadies
Steve Earle
John L
Founding Member

Postby John L » July 7th, 2013, 1:16 am

I got your back on that list, Cookie. Most of my favorites are there.
BFrank
Founding Member

Postby BFrank » July 7th, 2013, 12:13 pm

mjb
Founding Member

Postby mjb » July 7th, 2013, 3:02 pm

and (or at least, I didn't see)

Jimmie Rodgers
Lefty Frizzell

is John Hartford fitting here?
BFrank
Founding Member

Postby BFrank » July 7th, 2013, 4:17 pm

Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Postby Mike Schwartz » July 7th, 2013, 4:25 pm

Gentle Giant
Founding Member

Postby Gentle Giant » July 8th, 2013, 12:53 pm

Ask me and I'd say no, but looking at Cookie's list, yeah I love a lot of that stuff. Trouble is, the genre has become completely vanilla and style-conscious. But the old guys, well, let's just say I'm well aware that a lot of my favorite rock artists are fans of folks like Hank Williams, Don Williams, Johnny Cash, etc., and I'm one who always likes to check out those who influenced those who have influenced me. And of course folks like John Prine, whom I love, are like fringes on the jacket of country music. I have a particular affection for Merle Haggard and Jerry Jeff Walker for the pure strength of their songwriting.
Gentle Giant
Founding Member

Postby Gentle Giant » July 8th, 2013, 1:30 pm

Blue Train
Founding Member

Postby Blue Train » July 8th, 2013, 1:41 pm

Into the Old School stuff and not what passes for it during my lifetime.
"There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind."

- Duke Ellington
cookie
Founding Member

Postby cookie » July 8th, 2013, 2:13 pm

Lovin' this thread! Lots of great suggestions. I definitely plan to check out some of the alt country stuff.
Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Postby Mike Schwartz » July 8th, 2013, 5:24 pm

I guess this kinda_sorta fits the topic
I liked some of what these guys did back in the day

Gentle Giant
Founding Member

Postby Gentle Giant » July 10th, 2013, 6:02 am

Love the Dregs, but I see them as more twangy fusion.
Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Postby Mike Schwartz » July 11th, 2013, 7:18 pm

that's why I mentioned the Dregs would kinds_sorta fit
BFrank
Founding Member

Postby BFrank » July 11th, 2013, 11:55 pm

HenryMc
Founding Member

Postby HenryMc » July 12th, 2013, 4:25 pm

"vanilla and style conscious"? hmmm ..maybe Nashville..but whoever wrote this is probably doing the same thing to country that people do to jazz "oh its just rinky dink music". Like the Blues and Jazz, whats called country is a broad church. I'd suggest that the marketers like to sell a godly product but with flawed sinful performers, giving the market what it wants. Country can sizzle at its best or be big hat bad at its worse. The lyrics are filled with broken hearts, bad dreams, bad luck and floozies who will steal your heart , wallet or your car while dancing for ten cents at the honky tonk.

Country has blandness, as Jazz has smooth Jazz but for the first half of the last century it chronicled the poor whites pain whether Jimmie Rodgers or Hank Williams. Like all long term genres at times it appears a pastiche of itself but the spirit of country shows through, the lone man/womans struggle against the pain of the world.

hand me my nudies suit im going out now
lazarus
Founding Member

Postby lazarus » July 22nd, 2013, 4:28 am

I´m a big fan of Townes Van Zandt and I love Guy Clark´s first album "Old No 1" from 1975!!!
The Flatlanders (Joe Ely, Butch Hancock and Jimmie Dale Gilmore) are also favorites of mine!
...... and Gillian Welch (with David Rawlings) of course!!!
lazarus
Founding Member

Postby lazarus » July 24th, 2013, 2:44 am

....... and check out Larry Jon Wilson for some funky country!!!

moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » July 24th, 2013, 8:26 am

The only s.k. band I could ever tolerate was Bob Wills.
Bright moments

Return to “Other Music”